The Future of Auburn Play Calling

Zeek

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Chip ordered off the kids menu. He could call any play he wanted, as long as it was chicken fingers, grilled cheese or buttered noodles. 

There seemed to be a distinct change in offensive play calling after the infamous 2017 LSU melt down.  I don’t know who was calling the plays then, but it was exciting and refreshing at the same time.  It came to an abrupt halt in the SECCG and Auburn went back to it’s normal self in 2018.

JMO.

ETA: I have high hopes that we see the exciting and refreshing play calling next year, starting with the bowl game.

There's a great article in The Athletic that brokedown the offenses of Gus and Chad during their current year. It was interesting to see the difference in tendencies on plays called between the 2. Ofc, Arkansas was terrible but the attempts were still part of Morris' offensive playcalling. See for yourself....

Look at the difference between screens, and spacing/curls+flat(which tries to find spacing in the middle of the field). Gus spent a lot of his calls behind or right at the LOS, while Morris' calls were more downfield.

Now it will be a matter of will Gus allow Morris to add his more complex passing plays, and also let him call the plays. That's a bet  I Would not want to make..:)

Top Passing Concepts Used This Season

AUBURN

ARKANSAS

Screens

21.1%

Shots

9.3%

Shots

7.2%

Screens

8.0%

Ohio/Slice/Omaha

6.7%

Spacing/Curl + Flat

7.7%

Switch

6.5%

Slants

7.5%

Curl + Seam/Hoss/Comebacks

6.5%

Flood

7.3%

All Verts

5.7%

Rub

6.8%

Smash

5.7%

Switch

6.4%

Slants

5.5%

Smash

5.9%

All Curls

3.5%

Curl + Seam/Hoss/Comebacks

4.3%

Spacing/Curl + Flat

3.5%

All Verts

4.3%

Rub

3.2%

Ohio/Slice/Omaha

3.9%

Flood

3.0%

Checkdown/Clearout

3.2%

Drive/Shallow

2.5%

All Curls

2.3%

Pivot/Twig/Dag

2.3%

my one concern with hiring Morris was that we could slide back into the endless discussions about who was actually calling plays....... and now with this thread

giphy.gif

On 12/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, Carnell said:

It really doesn't matter if tweedle dumb or tweedle dumbass is calling the plays.

Coach Caddy I thought for sure you’d be worried about bowl practices right now, not posting on AUF!

Archived