2020 ESD Discussion Thread

ellitor

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Can someone clarify the difference in our "Buck" and a typical DE? Is it just a terminology thing? Is Buck just a DE that is more for Pass Rushing? 

I guess I don't get why we call it a Buck like it's something different than a normal DE. I would understand if they lined up a traditional LB spot every now and then but they seem to just be a WDE.

Our Buck in a typical 3-4 is an OLB. We just attach him and he plays with his hand in the dirt most of the time. Only a few times have I actually seen them drop into coverage.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Can someone clarify the difference in our "Buck" and a typical DE? Is it just a terminology thing? Is Buck just a DE that is more for Pass Rushing? 

I guess I don't get why we call it a Buck like it's something different than a normal DE. I would understand if they lined up a traditional LB spot every now and then but they seem to just be a WDE.

A Buck is a pass rushing/weakside end. The standard end is a strongside & historically more run stopping style end.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Our Buck in a typical 3-4 is an OLB. We just attach him and he plays with his hand in the dirt most of the time. Only a few times have I actually seen them drop into coverage.

Yup, though it would be nice against RB swings (we're super susceptible to) or even chipping the drag/slants coming across the middle (where we're typically not covering)

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup, though it would be nice against RB swings (we're super susceptible to) or even chipping the drag/slants coming across the middle (where we're typically not covering)

Zone vs man coverages. That's why it's so easy to manipulate our LBs

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's actually the opposite. Most if not all teams have at least 1 signee spot left with at least 1 or more needs in February so the kids who wait to sign in February become much more valuable & sought after. Roger McCreary for example was committed to South Alabama but AU pushed for & landed him in February. Tennessee came after him hard too.

If you say so....I just recall some kids getting "grey shirt" offers from a school or two....but I guess that's rare....but maybe guys committed to lower schools can wait around a find a major schools with a few slots open....

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Zone vs man coverages. That's why it's so easy to manipulate our LBs

Combo coverages are allowed... right? lol

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's what I thought. Just wanted some clarity.  So our base scheme is like a 4-2-5? 

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That's what I thought. Just wanted some clarity.  So our base scheme is like a 4-2-5? 

90+% of the time

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Technically, no.

Realistically, yes.

The only time we have 3 LBs out is when it's an obvious run situation or the team is an I-type formation or other "strong" formations.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If you say so....I just recall some kids getting "grey shirt" offers from a school or two....but I guess that's rare....but maybe guys committed to lower schools can wait around a find a major schools with a few slots open....

That's likely for kids who weren't committed to a school in most cases & the school ran out of scholly room under the 85 or 25 limits.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If you say so

Not being snarky here. Just stating reality...I love how you always question the guy who eats, drinks, & sleeps recruiting.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So are you saying our base is actually a 4-3? I know that 80% of the time we only have 2 LBs.....so what would our base scheme be "technically"?

No it's a 4-2-5 as you said & Bird reiterated.

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The Miami Dolphins had a defense similar to that.  It was called the 57 defense named for the Jersey # of bob Mathias that  made the defense famous.  He could put put his hand down and be a buck/de or he could stand up and be a linebacker for pass coverage or picking up a running back.  From shula describing the D it was up to Mathias as to which position he was going to assume.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not being snarky here. Just stating reality...I love how you always question the guy who eats, drinks, & sleeps recruiting.

Sorry, I appreciate what you do but you are not infallible and don't always see the bigger picture IMO.  But keep up the good work...

• ellitor changed the title to ESD Discussion Thread: On The Clock (Romello Height, Noon-ish)
9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So are you saying our base is actually a 4-3? I know that 80% of the time we only have 2 LBs.....so what would our base scheme be "technically"?

3-4 playing nickel with an attached OLB

2 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Ugh, our DT recruiting needed him bad

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Ugh, our DT recruiting needed him bad

Not really. We have Hardy committed, Likely will play DFA at DT some, & will either sign McKinnley Jackson or likely bring in a GT or sign juco Burks.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry, I appreciate what you do but you are not infallible and don't always see the bigger picture IMO.  But keep up the good work...

64 come on man. Take that somewhere else. 

Archived