N.C. State Preview/ Review

Dual-Threat Rigby

Does Bruce have a bread and butter play when the offense bogs down? It would be great to consider adding a play to get all 5 players moving, with off the ball screens on the baseline and backside to free up jumpers, post ups, backdoor cuts, and individuals driving and kicking. He has the depth to do it, and you'd be surprised how such a play can help get a team in rhythm while wearing down the opponent. No need to go full blown Virginia or Princeton. Even then, it's probably too deep into the season to try such a thing.

49 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

We got better, baby steps better for sure, but better.....The help defense is still lacking at times and we still give up too damned many easy shots....Rebounding was spotty when DP and AW were out of the game....I was terrified of this game because I had watched NCSU play twice and their athleticism scared me....These guys were pretty good and as much as I despise the @@****&$s that officiate games, its probably a good thingthat they called it close and erratic....As bad as we are at the line, that was the difference....It would have been easier if we had hit the under the basket stuff and the layups that we missed, but I'll take it....Its the little things that are holding us up now....They are keeping us from being a really good team

NCSU has upperclassmen at the guard position and played relentless tight man to man the entire game. That was a brutal, physical dog fight reminiscent of the Detroit Piston bad boy days. The refs tried not to bog the game down, but the players left them little choice.

Just curious ..... Maybe I missed something. Why was CBP wearing a green tie during the game? I never noticed that before. Maybe just wasn't paying attention. Just assumed he would always wear Auburn colors.

4 hours ago, AURex said:

Just curious ..... Maybe I missed something. Why was CBP wearing a green tie during the game? I never noticed that before. Maybe just wasn't paying attention. Just assumed he would always wear Auburn colors.

He was wearing a green ribbon too. 

From wiki, represents a variety of things:

5 hours ago, AURex said:

It's the little things like this that make me love Coach Pearl and this staff so much more. Couldn't ask for a better representative for Auburn.

This team has all the pieces to make a good run this season but it also shows signed of cracks. We are definitely a different team. This is more of a slashing team with a very strong defense, strong center play, and guards that can rebound. The problem with a slashing team is that you get fouled a TON and our FT % is dreadful. That is my biggest concern. There are so many games this year where we could have put the other team away if we could just hit our free throws. Do you want to beat us? Start fouling anyone but Samir with 5 min left. 
Also if Purifoy can’t find his shot then Johnson needs to play more. He gives us that 3 point threat we are missing. 
...but again - wow our defense at times is fantastic!!! 

• WarTiger changed the title to 3 takeaways from win over NC State

I was at the NCST game, and I noticed that our Freshman outside of possibly J. Johnson aren't really good at outside shooting, and that includes Okoro. I can tell that Okoro in HS made his mark with his power and athletic ability to slash to the basket and get his points. 

We will need some better outside shooters. I hope that the Freshman as they get more comfortable can improve on their outside shooting....we will need it, as teams pack it in. 

Archived