Herman Boone of ‘Remember the Titans’ fame dead

aubiefifty

al.com

Herman Boone of ‘Remember the Titans’ fame dead at 84

Updated Dec 18, 2019;Posted Dec 18, 2019

BOONE,COLANTUONI, VAUGHN

Alexandria, Va's., T.C. Williams High School football coach Herman Boone, right, during a break at summer camp, in 1971, with guard Johnny Colantuoni, (62) and John Vaughn, center. The famous 1971 team will be memorialized by Denzel Washington and Disney films in "Remember the Titans." (AP Photo)

Herman Boone, the legendary football coach at T.C. Williams High School portrayed by Denzel Washington in “Remember the Titans,” died Wednesday at 84 years old.

Boone, as portrayed in the movie, took over as coach of the Alexandria, Virginia, school in 1971, which was the first year the city’s high schools were integrated.

Boone led the Titans to the state championship amid racial tension.

Alexandria City Public Schools released a statement on Twitter:

“We are truly saddened to hear of the death of Coach Herman Boone today. ACPS & the @TCWTitans community will never forget his contribution to bringing our city together post-segregation. We encourage you to share your stories and memories of him with us.”

Bill Yoast, Boone’s assistant coach during the 1971 season and played by Will Patton in the movie, died in May at 94. Former T.C. Williams football captain Julius Campbell died from organ failure in January at age 65 according to SI. Petey Jones, a star of the team who, also died earlier this year, per CBS.

The Disney film was released in September 2000 and has grossed more than $130.

According to a 1979 Washington Post article, the team went on to win four district titles and two regional titles under Boone. But, in 1979, Boone was fired amid allegations of player abuse.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

if anyone out there loved this movie in the special features you could choose commentary from both the coaches and it was awesome as they corrected things and gave the real way things happened. just amazing or it was at the time.............

17 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if anyone out there loved this movie in the special features you could choose commentary from both the coaches and it was awesome as they corrected things and gave the real way things happened. just amazing or it was at the time.............

Probably my favorite movie ever. My son and I met Coach Yoast several years ago when he was signing his book, Remember This Titan. He signed my son's movie DVD and football. I had seen a documentary about the liberties taken in the movie vs the way it really was. Julius died not long ago too. I remembered Ronnie Bass playing QB for South Carolina in the seventies. It's sad to see these people passing now. 

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i have to find that. i bet thats awesome

44 minutes ago, bigman334 said:

i have to find that. i bet thats awesome

the toilet threw threw trough the window was full of feces and urine. the linebacker did not have his wreck until after the championship. just a ton of stuff............well worth it in my humble opinion mr big..

Archived