Men vs NC State Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Still undefeated! Play average and we'll go into SEC play without a loss. First time we've started the year 10-0 since the '98-'99 season! War Eagle and now I can finally go to bed.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough game at times but this team continues to handle adversity. Just have to keep gaining the confidence and play more under control. So many little things for us can really catapult us, WDE

50 fouls called on the two teams. FIFTY! That is an insane number. Also, saw someone post on reddit that Wiley was a +26 this game. Not sure if it's accurate but I feel like it was because we played our best when he was on the court.

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just my opinion but the school going to bat for him was really stupid. The NCAA is going to come down on Memphis because of that and Wiseman was not eligible to play now anyway. I can't understand how Penny has escaped thus far.

Glad that is not our problem.

I don't know much about the Wiseman issue other than the fact that he was cleared twice and I personally think he should have been compensated in one way or another because he was cleared and no new evidence was submitted or found. His lawsuit was against Memphis and the NCAA initially. Stopped following it after he dropped the case. It didn't seem like  Memphis went to bat for him at all. The TOR prevented Memphis from sitting him, the moment he dropped the case Memphis declared him ineligible. They played the game horribly wrong and I hope they get burned for it. Memphis appears very selfish in all of this. Willing to play him when they think they are protected, but outside of that, nothing.

I don't wanna be that guy, but we sat Wiley for a whole season and Purifoy for 1 1/3 seasons. Our 2017-2018 season could have been even better but we dealt with the issues head on and did what we had to do. I'm not saying bend over for the NCAA especially if you're in the right, but Penny clearly paid the family the $11,500. He admitted to it. Had they sat him from the get go, they would still be 9-1 and he would have been eligible starting with their 10th game. As it stands he wouldn't have been able to play until 12 January I believe. That's another 3+ weeks. He'd have come back a little rusty and trying to fit in to a team that's gone 7-0 without him. I think he made the right decision for him.

Someone should have made the right call from the get go for Wiseman's sake. At least people would have respected them more.

42 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You’ve had that one in your back pocket for a while now, haven’t you?

Actually no.  Just hit me in the 2nd half 

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

50 fouls called on the two teams. FIFTY! That is an insane number. Also, saw someone post on reddit that Wiley was a +26 this game. Not sure if it's accurate but I feel like it was because we played our best when he was on the court.

And they overlooked A LOT of hard fouls on NC St. We got hammered quite a few times with no call. But we still winning...

Anyone else notice that when Gus sat down he tried to be upbeat, cool and funny? He started out good and slowly faded. It’s like he was trying to do a CBP moment. Well at least he’s trying. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS FREAKING GO BAY BAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HECK YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another Quality Win vs a good opponent!!! I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Lets keep this thing ROOOOOOOLLING!!!!!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!! 

ytuytu.gif

luoliloi.gif

ewrewr.gif

3434rtre.gif

ewwqe.gif

8 hours ago, TigerStripe said:

So happy to get payback for the trash NC State pulled last year. And of course, NC State's HC wouldn't even look Bruce in the eyes when they shook hands at the end of the game. Trash.

True....That was a less than cordial handshake at the end. Not sure what that was about.

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True....That was a less than cordial handshake at the end. Not sure what that was about.

I missed this.  What exactly happened?  Does anyone have video?

6 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Anyone else notice that when Gus sat down he tried to be upbeat, cool and funny? He started out good and slowly faded. It’s like he was trying to do a CBP moment. Well at least he’s trying. 

His first few plays were scripted lol

My thoughts about the game last night.

To me the key to winning the game was the bench play which has improved greatly as the year has gone.  No doubt there were other important factors such as defense, shooting better at the charity strip, and Doughty's play (especially at the end). But with Okoro getting into foul trouble and Flannigan having to play a lot of minutes and doing as well as he did and Johnson coming off the bench and hitting two 3's and a free throw and hounding The other Johnson on defense--- That is what i give my nod to as what got us over the hump to win the game.

Loved the Green Tie and the dedication to our student.  N C State is for real.  M Johnson is an NBA player.

5 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

His first few plays were scripted lol

😁  could be but I was happy that he did not try to dominate the broadcast and let the game be the focus.  It was bad enough when they kept splitting the screen with half of the picture on the game and the other half of the two announcers chatting about ?.....nothing important....

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

😁  could be but I was happy that he did not try to dominate the broadcast and let the game be the focus.  It was bad enough when they kept splitting the screen with half of the picture on the game and the other half of the two announcers chatting about ?.....nothing important....

We still have to face the fact that in the SEC football is always the most important, especially media wise.  $$$ dictates that.  But i agree.  There is no need to split the screen.  We don't have to see Gus or the announcers talk.  We are there to VIEW the Basketball game.

1 minute ago, lost said:

We still have to face the fact that in the SEC football is always the most important, especially media wise.  $$$ dictates that.  But i agree.  There is no need to split the screen.  We don't have to see Gus or the announcers talk.  We are there to VIEW the Basketball game.

The media has it's agenda ….but I'm always happy to see that our major sports coaches get along and support and respect each other.....which is not always the case.  By and large, none of them try to steal the limelight from the others....and all of them go out of their way to be positive about each other.     

I don't follow other schools in detail but I don't sense the family feeling of the major programs at other schools.   I think this something good for athletics and good for AU that the sports programs don't appear to be in competition for fan loyalty, for media attention....or for funding. 

I was watching the new stars wars movie last night so i have not seen the game yet. But still wanted to drop by and says congrats to the team on what i'm sure was a hard fought win. Love how this team fights and claws for wins. STILL UNDEFEATED!! WAR EAGLE!!!!

I fell asleep during  the game, I need to get back on my Geritol.   That is funny to about 3 (old) people out there.

From what I saw and read, tremendous game.   I have only one critical observation regarding the biggest different in team play vs last year:  we don't get back as fast on D and we don't contest 'every' pass.   I am probably comparing this team to last yr's team in Feb and March, which is unfair.  We have a lot of developing and coaching between now and that point.  

I love how the team just grinds and grinds and grinds.  They are fun to watch.   

32 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I was watching the new stars wars movie last night so i have not seen the game yet. But still wanted to drop by and says congrats to the team on what i'm sure was a hard fought win. Love how this team fights and claws for wins. STILL UNDEFEATED!! WAR EAGLE!!!!

A good lesson about what I think our basketball will be like this year.   Fans will be frustrated by the poor shooting and turnovers....but impressed with the hustle and willingness to "get dirty" going to the floor or taking it to the hoop or being in the opponent's face.      BUT...would be more fun still if more of those 2 foot shots found the bottom of the net and FT shooting was better......both issue making the game last night closer than it could have been.      

Not sure how this will play out over the season but teams that play AU will know they have been in a ball game ….win or lose. 

This was a great game that shows exactly what I've been saying from the beginning.....even when Wiley wasn't doing the 30 pt and 20 rebounds thing that people feel like is the only to say he's productive, in this game it was obvious how our team plays with him in the game as opposed to without him. 

He's the catalyst to us winning big games period. We can be a good time without him but we can't be an elite team without him. It was also a great game to show his defensive presence and how him being out there disrupts a team. Our guards got worked out this game though. We're still are having to improve on defense. Great win, we're ahead of schedule, I'm just praying one of our guards taps into something and develops an iso game that's efficient and then we'll have all pieces needed.

1 hour ago, AUZoom said:

I missed this.  What exactly happened?  Does anyone have video?

It was strange.  Keatts never looked BP in the eye during the walk up and handshake.  

1 minute ago, fishepa said:

It was strange.  Keatts never looked BP in the eye during the walk up and handshake.  

Yep.....I noticed he was looking out onto the court...not sure what at...maybe a good looking coed.    He might not have been deliberately avoiding BP but it was not the usual backslap greeting that we often see. 

Archived