Null



Sign in to follow this  
Maverick.AU

Nick Coe to forego senior season

Recommended Posts

On 12/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, auburnphan said:

Coe was the victim of consequence, IMO.  Remember the d staff was so high on him out of fall camp he was listed as a starter at a created position.   His position is end and the staff tried to make him into a hybrid of sorts.   Davison was finally healthy and earned his snaps.  The added weight slowed his quickness and his effectiveness when he did get snaps.  It was an experiment to get him on the field more and increase his flexibility for the draft that failed unfortunately.  Wish him nothing but the best.

So  it’s the coaches fault? I don’t think so!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I am pretty sure that none of us know what the real deal is with Coe. So, that being said, I will wish him the best and hope he gets to live his dreams. He played hard for Auburn University and I am thankful for what he put into his time at Auburn. War Eagle, Nick Coe. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Smith is the biggest example.  He was a consensus Top 3 pick before his injury in the Fiesta Bowl.  Fell to the 2nd round.  That fall cost him about $20M.

Butt arguably had his career ruined.  He got drafted by the Broncos in the 5th, despite being a projected 2nd rounder.  However he's never fully gotten back from his injury and can't stay on the field.  

Nick Bosa got hurt in his final year at Ohio State and said "screw it".  Didn't even try to come back.  The decision paid off and he was drafted 2nd overall to the tune of $33.5M.

Mackenzie Alexander was a projected 1st rounder.  Got hurt in the bowl, fell down to late 2nd round.  His is a little different because it happened in the National Title Game, so no chance he was sitting that out.  Still cost him a lot of cash though.

Another way to look at this.  We don't bat an eye when a coach at a smaller school leaves his team before the bowl to take a more lucrative job.  The understanding here is that they need to recruit at their new gig.  Why are we holding players to different standards?

I’m long over getting mad or judging players who sit. Doesn’t bother me a bit. But my stance remains that it is based on a fear of something that is extremely rare. Smith has gone on to make a few million in the league and is on record that he would play the bowl game all over again. I don’t know the whole story about Butt. Alexander and McGahee from Miami are two who got hurt in the National Championship game and like you said no one is sitting those out. So that’s two players (Smith and Butt) who have suffered some type of serious injury out of thousands who have played in bowl games. Based on the rash of players who are choosing to sit and the message boards, I thought there would be a precedent of dozens of cases, but it’s simply not the case. I agree with Derrick Brown’s thoughts. Every snap you take as a football player could be your last. It’s a sad reality of the game. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I would argue he didn't want to risk injury in the bowl game and that's totally cool.  There are several examples of guys playing in bowl games, getting hurt, and costing themselves tens of millions of dollars due to lost draft position. 

I've argued before: any player that wants to sit out a non-playoff bowl is fine with me.  Their college teammates nor anyone associated with his University is paying for the player's lost wages if he gets hurt.  At some point in every person's life, you have to look out for #1 first.  When there's that much money on the line, I can't blame anyone for putting themselves and their family first.

Sometimes fans let emotions get in the way of thinking rationally.  Put yourself in the position of someone like McCaffrey.  There's a guaranteed $xx millions of dollars waiting on you as long as you don't get hurt in one game where team can't win anything of significance anyway.  You have the option of not playing that game.  Deep down, when faced with the decision for that kind of money, what would you do?

Not wanting to risk injury... Scared of being injured.... Semantics.   Coe may have other things going on,  but in general, the fear of career ending injury  is at the crux for most foregoers..   Honestly,  I don't care either way.  BUT... How exciting will bowl games be if 8 or 10 players on each team decide to sit out?

 

$6 million... well he better not leave his bed. He could get a career ending injury doing ANYTHING.  Pick up basketball games at the rec to going to check his mail.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Not wanting to risk injury... Scared of being injured.... Semantics.   Coe may have other things going on,  but in general, the fear of career ending injury  is at the crux for most foregoers..   Honestly,  I don't care either way.  BUT... How exciting will bowl games be if 8 or 10 players on each team decide to sit out?

 

$6 million... well he better not leave his bed. He could get a career ending injury doing ANYTHING.  Pick up basketball games at the rec to going to check his mail.

Doesn't really matter to me I guess.  I don't particularly care about bowl games outside of the playoffs.  Based on ticket prices for the Sugar Bowl this year ($5 on StubHub), I'm not alone.

And for $6M, ya damn right a player should be careful.  I sure as hell would be for that kind of coin.  There's a reason many NFL guys have it in their contracts that they can't play pick ball at the rec.  

Edited by Brad_ATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget some have said ( with no confirmation)it was a mutual decision between Coe and coach. He might not have even had the option to play in the bowl. 

My conern is not about the bowl anyway. It’s depth next year where he could have played his way into a solid first round pick. Good luck to him. But he cheated himself out of some significant wealth. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. Well Jay G Tate was definitely saying he didn't expect Coe to be back and this was months ago. Didn't Coe serve a suspension of sorts in the middle of the year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Damn. Well Jay G Tate was definitely saying he didn't expect Coe to be back and this was months ago. Didn't Coe serve a suspension of sorts in the middle of the year?

Not officially. He just didn’t play in at least one game and very little in others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not officially. He just didn’t play in at least one game and very little in others. 

IIRC didn't Gus say he did not meet the team's standards so they held him out? Maybe I'm thinking of something else though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Maybe Nick flunked out of school. 🤫

And/or contacted an agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

IIRC didn't Gus say he did not meet the team's standards so they held him out? Maybe I'm thinking of something else though

Yes exactly. But he was dressed and on sideline. He only said that when asked after the game. And he said “ on and off the field “. So there’s a lot that can be interpreted from that as to what is going on. 

I think he was easily in the best 5 we had. Maybe even better. But he didn’t get the snaps of a top five dlineman would get, idt. 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes exactly. But he was dressed and on sideline. He only said that when asked after the game. And he said “ on and off the field “. So there’s a lot that can be interpreted from that as to what is going on. 

I think he was easily in the best 5 we had. Maybe even better. But he didn’t get the snaps of a top five dlineman would get, idt. 

Thanks. IMO his potential was severely capped at DT, and he wasn't gonna take Marlon's snaps and he wasn't really quite a Buck like Big Kat... He would've shined in Davidson's spot next season IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tiger said:

Thanks. IMO his potential was severely capped at DT, and he wasn't gonna take Marlon's snaps and he wasn't really quite a Buck like Big Kat... He would've shined in Davidson's spot next season IMO

That spot fits him best. But he’s so talented just having him out there would be a blessing. Anywhere..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 12:31 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Dont forget the XFL is about to kickoff

Are they actually going to kickoff this time or just have the fight for the ball at midfield again? Not a fan of the XFL but if it was a paycheck I guess I'd play along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexava said:

That spot fits him best. But he’s so talented just having him out there would be a blessing. Anywhere..

Best backup DE *and* DT in the league, possibly. And yeah, he would've been the man in 2020. Oh well. Calvin Ashley could've been the man, too. And Jovon Robinson, and Mike Dyer, and Duke Williams, and Elijah Daniel, aaaaannnnnd.... is it August 2020 yet???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Best backup DE *and* DT in the league, possibly. And yeah, he would've been the man in 2020. Oh well. Calvin Ashley could've been the man, too. And Jovon Robinson, and Mike Dyer, and Duke Williams, and Elijah Daniel, aaaaannnnnd.... is it August 2020 yet???

Don't forget Roc and Cowart. Makes you wonder who might be that guy from this class...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of them young men with issues. Life is about choices and you can only do so much as a coaching staff to raise these young men up. Talent can only take you so far. Prayers that they find or have found the way to success, even though it may not have been at Auburn. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

I wish he would've been built and utilized at SDE.  I hope he figures out whatever is going on.

That really is his natural position based on his build. I think we wanted him somewhere else (Buck, 3-Tech) because we had Marlin Davidson.

Coe has the size to play SDE in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 in the NFL. He is almost a archetypal 3-4 DE.

I hope he gets a shot and makes the best of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tiger said:

He would've shined in Davidson's spot next season IMO

My thoughts exactly, however the comment that Dye said he had flunked out may be a factor. Apparently Coe was never big on the academic part of things, and that is probably why he spent time in the dog house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is a great example for a recruit....better pick out the best fit for you, the "love" is conditional, do your best and look out for yourself.

  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This thread is a great example for a recruit....better pick out the best fit for you, the "love" is conditional, do your best and look out for yourself.

And learn from leaders like Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson what it takes to handle your business on and off the field the right way. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this