What's the 2020 2 Deep Look Like On DL?

dyehardfanAU

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Why so defensive and emotional?

Neither to either.

But a good amount of people here have a difficult time understanding even the simplest of things. 

And frankly auhuds comment was condescending. I reply to comments how they were made to me. 

I've yet to see a reason to believe he was told he would play defense. WDEs post would be the only thing with any validity I've seen...and even then I just dont buy it. Not with how the presser went down and Gus raving about the kid on offense. Defense wasnt mentioned. If that isnt telling, I dont know what else it will take. 

The Gus people always wanna take Gus at his word. Well... The only words that have publicly come out about JJ is on offense. Gus didnt say a single word about defense. Yet to many it seems a foregone conclusion JJ will be a DL. 

I dont buy it until it happens. Even then getting him to accept it will be an entirely different story. That kid seems set on playing offense.

40 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Huh? Recruited as a Buck, listed as a Buck, rep'd at Buck. 

No he repped at DE, when he got back from mono. He’s almost 280 now

3 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Where you seeing/hearing this?

It' been on forums and Marlon talked about it in an interview with one of the beat guys. Wooden is DE and will probably be 280-290 by season.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It' been on forums and Marlon talked about it in an interview with one of the beat guys. Wooden is DE and will probably be 280-290 by season.

Hmmm, that's definitely interesting then. I had saw he dropped 20 lbs after having the mono and now he's up to that much.....wow.

Wooden flashed a quick first step and ability to bend around the edge. 

Whatever we do at Buck, hopefully we find that Buck that OTs fear.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Neither to either.

But a good amount of people here have a difficult time understanding even the simplest of things. 

And frankly auhuds comment was condescending. I reply to comments how they were made to me. 

I've yet to see a reason to believe he was told he would play defense. WDEs post would be the only thing with any validity I've seen...and even then I just dont buy it. Not with how the presser went down and Gus raving about the kid on offense. Defense wasnt mentioned. If that isnt telling, I dont know what else it will take. 

The Gus people always wanna take Gus at his word. Well... The only words that have publicly come out about JJ is on offense. Gus didnt say a single word about defense. Yet to many it seems a foregone conclusion JJ will be a DL. 

I dont buy it until it happens. Even then getting him to accept it will be an entirely different story. That kid seems set on playing offense.

Wasnt being condescending... susan

On 12/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

They sure did. On offense. Did you see the press conference? Not a SINGLE word about defense. 

JJ also spoke of how Porter coached his dad. Pegues didnt come to Auburn to play defense. 

I dont pretend to know more than WDE. I just know what I've seen with my own eyes. If we recruited him with the possibility of swapping to defense, I dont think there is a chance Gus ONLY talks about offense during the ESD presser. Gus would of talked about how he possesses the ability to play both sides of the ball, but he didnt. He ONLY spoke about offense. 

To me, that is pretty telling when it comes to how we recruited the kid.

Tega was recruited as a defensive end, was never gonna be one.  Jason Smith recruited as a qb, was never gonna be one.  Frost was recruited as a wr/te was never gonna be one.  I can go on and on.  There has been a long history of athletes that come in and they wanna play a position they are only ok at and then after practicing at this level they see they will never see the field at that the position and then the coaches put them where they knew they would be more successful.  

I am sure he will get his chance at offense but when he is blanketed by the speed of our linebackers and secondary and struggles to get open things may change.   The dude has a d-tackle body with freak athletic ability for that position.   Kenny Clark build.   As a tight end in this era he is average at best athletically.   He could lose 30 pounds and play a hb/fb as well.

Since the Chizik/Gus era began the philosophy has always been to get the athletic ability on campus first and foremost and then figure out where they are gonna fit as they develop in the conditioning program, etc.   it’s a good thing, IMO.    

9 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Tega was recruited as a defensive end, was never gonna be one.  Jason Smith recruited as a qb, was never gonna be one.  Frost was recruited as a wr/te was never gonna be one.  I can go on and on.  There has been a long history of athletes that come in and they wanna play a position they are only ok at and then after practicing at this level they see they will never see the field at that the position and then the coaches put them where they knew they would be more successful.  

I am sure he will get his chance at offense but when he is blanketed by the speed of our linebackers and secondary and struggles to get open things may change.   The dude has a d-tackle body with freak athletic ability for that position.   Kenny Clark build.   As a tight end in this era he is average at best athletically.   He could lose 30 pounds and play a hb/fb as well.

Since the Chizik/Gus era began the philosophy has always been to get the athletic ability on campus first and foremost and then figure out where they are gonna fit as they develop in the conditioning program, etc.   it’s a good thing, IMO.    

You don’t have to be fast at TE to get the job done. Look at Jason Witten, he’s slow as hell. Pegues is a good athlete, he’ll find a way to get it done

56 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

You don’t have to be fast at TE to get the job done. Look at Jason Witten, he’s slow as hell. Pegues is a good athlete, he’ll find a way to get it done

One thing Pegues has working against him at TE is his height. I seem to recall him being listed in the 6'3" range so he really probably closer to 6'0". Now height is not everything and i do not believe in pigeon holing players based on their measurables.....but 6'1" 300 lbs sure does look like more like a DT then a TE. It would be pretty cool seeing him on offense though so i'll be pulling for him to make it on that side of the ball. With our HB/TE hybrid position maybe that gives him a chance

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

One thing Pegues has working against him at TE is his height. I seem to recall him being listed in the 6'3" range so he really probably closer to 6'0". Now height is not everything and i do not believe in pigeon holing players based on their measurables.....but 6'1" 300 lbs sure does look like more like a DT then a TE. It would be pretty cool seeing him on offense though so i'll be pulling for him to make it on that side of the ball. With our HB/TE hybrid position maybe that gives him a chance

300 pounds won’t be his playing weight. He’s going to lose weight

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

300 pounds won’t be his playing weight. He’s going to lose weight

We won't if he gets moved to DT.....

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Seeing him (JPegues)in high school film kinda reminds me of the legend who was Ladarius Phillips. So I just gotta wait and see. 

I've thought about him, too, during the Pegues conversation.

Everything I've heard is, he's starting his career on the offensive side of the ball. That's always subject to change, but Gus typically gives any kid a chance to play his desired position, even if they think he's moving later. We did it with Barrett. We did it with Noah. We did it with Alec Jackson. If a guy really wants to play a spot, Gus typically lets him start there and moves him later. 

If he moves to DL, I don't expect Pegues to have any impact next year. My guess on the depth chart:

DE:  Bryant/Wooden/Walker
DT:  Newkirk/Miller
DT:  Truesdell/Handy
Buck:  Hall/Moultry/Wooden

Then, I expect you'll see a signee as our fifth DT. That may be Hardy, but it could also be McKinley Jackson (if we reel him in) or a JUCO guy. Wooden and Stone Handy are guys I could see playing multiple spots on the DL based on the situation. We need Miller, Newkirk, and Bryant (in particular) to take steps forward. I expect Trues to continue his develop, but he's not a Tampa-2 DT. He's more like Russell was. Trues is a great run stuffer and keeps our LBs clean. We need Newkirk and Miller to step up to fill the DB void. There is a TON of talent in that projected rotation though. A TON.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think Bryant is nicely positioned for a true breakout season a la Holland his last year. 

I love Big Kat vs the run, but he overruns plays and jumps offsides a lot and those two things really limit him as a pass rusher. They’re both very fixable and I hope he gets them right as a senior. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I love Big Kat vs the run, but he overruns plays and jumps offsides a lot and those two things really limit him as a pass rusher. They’re both very fixable and I hope he gets them right as a senior. 

Agree, and I feel like those are the things that fall into place a little later in a guy's career when he can quit thinking so much and start just reacting more. Fingers crossed. 

18 hours ago, alexava said:

Seeing him (JPegues)in high school film kinda reminds me of the legend who was Ladarius Phillips. So I just gotta wait and see. 

There's a big difference between the two. Phillips (RIP) was simply not the quality athlete that got a lot of recruiting attention. His expected slot was DT at Georgia Southern until AU gave him the last-minute offer. Phillips was a much better DT in high school than he was RB. Pegues, on the other hand, was highly recruited by a number of schools. I think Pegues' potential is a lot higher that was Phillips', regardless of where he ends up playing.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:02 AM, Sizzle said:

Witten is a hell'uva lot better athlete and receiver than he gets credit.

Pre-draft measurables
Height Weight Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad BP
6 ft 5 34 in
(1.97 m)
264 lb
(120 kg)
32 12 in
(0.83 m)
9 78 in
(0.25 m)
4.65 s         31 in
(0.79 m)
9 ft 2 in
(2.79 m)
25 reps

All values from NFL Combine[13]

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Phillips was a much better DT in high school than he was RB

I still remember him trying to block as a FB against LSU and just get pancaked on his backside. That was the game when LSU said we were soft.

I wonder how Pegues feels about playing both sides of the ball?

I can't describe how big a grin I had when Gus mentioned playing him at Wildcat 😁

Archived