Lutzenkirchen’s fights distracted driving 5 years after

aubiefifty

al.com

Lutzenkirchen’s fights distracted driving 5 years after tragic crash

Today 7:00 AM

4-6 minutes

News

Auburn tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen (43) catches the game-tying TD pass over Alabama defensive back Mark Barron (4) in the fourth quarter in the 2010 Iron Bowl. The extra point game Auburn the 28-27 win. (AL.com file)

Mike Lutzenkirchen wishes the law requiring backseat seat belts implemented Sept. 1 in Alabama had been in effect in Georgia five years ago.

“If Georgia had the backseat seat-belt law, I would not be talking to you now, my son would likely still be alive,” said the father of former Auburn tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen, who died in a car accident involving a drunk driver on June 29, 2014, in LaGrange, Georgia, at age 23.

Mike Lutzenkirchen was in Priceville at the Fite Construction Co. Christmas luncheon Friday promoting the Lutzie 43 Foundation's message of distraction-free driving.

Although Philip wasn't the driver the night of the crash, authorities said his blood alcohol level was 0.377, above Georgia's legal limit for driving of 0.08. He wasn't wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the back seat of a Chevrolet Tahoe and died at the scene.

“My son made a poor decision to get into the vehicle,” Lutzenkirchen said. “He was a passenger of a drunk driver. He was in the seat behind the driver. He and the driver lost their seats and their lives. … I have no animosity or ill will toward the family of the driver. I am using Philip’s legacy to get the distraction-free driving message out there.”

Philip caught the game-winning touchdown pass in the 2010 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa to keep the Tigers on their march toward a national championship. His play on the field, achievements off the field and his charisma made him a fan favorite.

Mike Lutzenkirchen, who lives in Marietta, Georgia, said cellphones are not going away and distracted driving needs to be addressed. He is urging Alabama lawmakers to pass a ban on drivers using handheld cellphones to make the roadways safer for everyone.

Georgia last year passed a "hands-free driving law" making it illegal for drivers to have a phone in their hand or to use any part of their body to support a phone. The law allows cellphone use by drivers only if they use a speakerphone, earpiece, wireless headphones or the phone is connected to the vehicle or an electronic watch.

State Sen. Garlan Gudger Jr., R-Cullman, said legislation similar to Georgia’s law was introduced in the Legislature last year, but it failed to pass the Senate.

“There was a problem with the wording of the bill that needed to be better defined,” he said. “It will be re-introduced this year. I am for a hands-free driving law, but I want to read the legislation before it is voted on.

"Distracted driving, texting while driving are causing more accidents, and we have to find a way to reduce the number of accidents on our highways and interstates.”

Lutzenkirchen asked the 200 Fite employees and guests attending the luncheon to take 43 seconds every time they get behind the wheel to clear their head, hands and eyes before buckling their seat belt and starting the vehicle. Philip’s jersey number was 43.

He said Georgia highway deaths declined 11% during 2018, the year that state passed a hands-free driving law.

“Since the law was passed, it has reduced the number of crashes, injuries and fatalities,” he said. “That’s the same as saving the lives of 22 people attending this lunch.”

Jack Fite, president and CEO of Fite Construction, said he has known Lutzenkirchen for a few years and his company has partnered with the foundation.

“We’ve got 30 to 40 trucks with our company,” Fite said. “His message can help eliminate distracted driving. Everybody loved Philip, and we support the foundation and its efforts.”

Lutzenkirchen said he has given more than 400 speeches to more than 200,000 people in the past 4½ years on behalf of the foundation. He has traveled to speaking engagements as far away as Wyoming and Illinois on his son’s behalf.

“If my son was a bad person, we wouldn’t have this foundation,” Lutzenkirchen said. “My faith is strong and it’s even stronger since I lost my son. I am certain what God’s will is for me. My son did some incredible things I was unaware of before this. My son’s presence on Earth is still visible even though we can no longer see him. Philip continues to change lives.”

For more information on the foundation, visit lutzie43.org.

Written by The Decatur Daily and distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Archived