2020 5* OT Broderick Jones (UGA)

Auburn Kev

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Jones has been offered by uga 10k not to visit AU. uga has gone off the reservation the past two years. People are fed up and want this out. Yep you read this right, 10k not to visit. Directly from and by Kirby. 

I don't doubt for a second that Kirby or UGA would or did do that, but did they pay him then call up a person connected to Auburn to report it so we would all know? I would like to think if they paid the kid, that they would at least try to be discreet about it. 

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Having the common knowledge is one thing. Having the guts to report it is something else. Without some sort of verification and someone with the courage to do the reporting to the NCAA, there's no point in even mentioning a cash payment for some kid. We hear this and that. Without someone with both the proof and the courage to proceed what we hear is meaningless.

Exactly.   If someone has the evidence, take to the NCAA.   If not, chest-thumping about how they are going to get their's is pointless.

Wow at all the butt-hurt over BJ getting paid.  NEWS FLASH:  5 Star OTs Get Paid.  

Why don't we win more of these battles is what I want to know.  If we're gonna spend time on top tier players we also have to spend the money.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, Gowebb11 said:

I don't doubt for a second that Kirby or UGA would or did do that, but did they pay him then call up a person connected to Auburn to report it so we would all know? I would like to think if they paid the kid, that they would at least try to be discreet about it. 

And I'm sure the fact we lose ANOTHER top OL to our rivals, is a great reason for someone to use the 'he got paid' or 'Here's $10,000 to come to GA' reasoning again. It helps deflect the fact we lost another 5*.

And I look at it as Jones was always a GA commit back in 2019, so he wanted to wait, be sure, got interested in AU, dangled us until the last few days, and having the OL coach visit him in the last few days only solidified his choice. AND he is from GA...

The money thing...well, I know it's possible, but no one is giving me proof it's real.

23 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And I'm sure the fact we lose ANOTHER top OL to our rivals, is a great reason for someone to use the 'he got paid' or 'Here's $10,000 to come to GA' reasoning again. It helps deflect the fact we lost another 5*.

And I look at it as Jones was always a GA commit back in 2019, so he wanted to wait, be sure, got interested in AU, dangled us until the last few days, and having the OL coach visit him in the last few days only solidified his choice. AND he is from GA...

The money thing...well, I know it's possible, but no one is giving me proof it's real. (kinda like being impeached for the stupidest of reasons).

Also, when have you ever heard a specific dollar amount spoken like this? Why would someone suddenly start making things up like that about a kid who's been committed to Georgia this entire time? We're not talking about a flip here.

Speaking of flips, why do you think Pickens flipped the way he did? Why do suppose uga immediately started recruiting at their current level when bowl cut got there? He's just that charismatic and hard working?

9 hours ago, rockfordpi said:

Actually, I think somewhere in the process all signees have to sign an affidavit or statement saying nobody recruited them illegally. It does not seem logical that ALL of these guys have enough integrity to turn down the money,  yet ALL will still swear a lie on an affidavit to cover for the cheaters who routinely beat them due to their cheating.

I just have never really understood this part. This has to be the greatest most widespread conspiracy and cover up in the history of man, well, other than maybe the fake moon landing. Then again, since recruiting is an annual ongoing process, more people would probably have to know the truth and remain silent about paying recruits than in the fake moon landing.

After giving it some thought, this needed repeating. If such were commonplace there's no way in hell it would remain secret year after year. The kids that got nothing aren't going to spill the beans? The highly paid kid that doesn't get to start and leaves the team isn't going to say what he knows? The assistant coach that gets fired is going to keep quiet? I'd wager a guess that over 99% of this bought and paid for talk is just talk with no substance. Two people can't keep a secret, let alone hundreds if not thousands of players, coaches and family members.

Mikey,  you make great points above about the player or assistant that leaves or gets kicked off team. The chances of someone spilling the beans goes up exponentially with each person that knows the secret.

Logic (a bad word on any fan site) would seem to indicate all programs operate pretty much the same way. Who would go to UA or GA to play for free if AU was paying $200k in the case of Cam (who we were competing for with mighty MSU); What 4 or 5 star would come to AU (or any other 'clean' school) to play for free if they could get big bucks elsewhere. Yet most all top tier schools, even the 'my team which is clean' ones, still get 4 and 5 star players.

The money thing...well, I know it's possible, but no one is giving me proof it's real

Wrong board Bro

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

After giving it some thought, this needed repeating. If such were commonplace there's no way in hell it would remain secret year after year. The kids that got nothing aren't going to spill the beans? The highly paid kid that doesn't get to start and leaves the team isn't going to say what he knows? The assistant coach that gets fired is going to keep quiet? I'd wager a guess that over 99% of this bought and paid for talk is just talk with no substance. Two people can't keep a secret, let alone hundreds if not thousands of players, coaches and family members.

It’s a matter of time before the next expose comes out. Look at what happened in NCAA basketball. One would have to be extremely naive to think it’s not happening in football, I would say it’s probably worse but they (NCAA football) has had more practice at being a bit more “slick” for lack of a better word. Kirby is one the dirtiest players in the game - I can personally attest to that - it’s who he is. I don’t think Gus will ever be as grimey, so some recruiting battles like this one will be lost.  Kirby can do all that but it will not prevent him from being a doofus on game days, program disciplinarian, etc.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Now there's visual evidence in Tuskaloser of kids from poor families driving new model cars with $1,000 wheels and so forth. It was said that Julio Jones had 18 expensive suits of clothing. What's going on over there is a whole different animal. Why something isn't done about it is the big question.

Because of $. Alabama is the big money school for the NCAA. Just how it is unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

The kids that get nothing probably still get something. Like someone else said the limit is 55. We are doing 60. No one signs near top 10 classes every year going 100% completely by the rules.

The highly paid kid will likely be highly paid again when they go through the portal

The assistant coach who got fired knows that he will get another job and doesn't want to burn bridges. 

Its really not that difficult 

He did say before that he wanted to stay close to home so his family could attend games. He was always going to Georgia, he just wanted some attention and drama. Still, we should have had a plan B and had another OT ready to take his place. I don't know why we have such a hard time getting O-lineman.

Do our coaches still get the chance to talk to him? Or is this a silent period? Maybe there's still a chance. I'm not downing the kid and I hope no one else does. Auburn fans need to stay classy on this. 🙂

6 hours ago, AuburnKev said:

He did say before that he wanted to stay close to home so his family could attend games. He was always going to Georgia, he just wanted some attention and drama. Still, we should have had a plan B and had another OT ready to take his place. I don't know why we have such a hard time getting O-lineman.

He lives in Lithonia, greater Atlanta area. It's not significantly farther to Auburn than it is to Athens. As to other OT's we signed some. What we tried to sign and didn't get was another 5* type of OT. We've shot all our ammo and missed on a couple of those every year for the past several. I saw where some we had on campus and tried to sign were seniors this past season. We haven't been missing because of lack of trying.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

We haven't been missing because of lack of trying.

Maybe, but we should be reading story after story about how AU is extending offers to ‘high school’ early enrollee OTs all over the country, and camping out by then as much as allowed. And they should be saying how AU is recruiting them the hardest.  We should be on the same type of mission Pruitt from UT went on when he signed Gallman and Wright,  2 Five Star OTs in the 2019 cycle. 

Woke up this morning...

SSDD regarding OL

I really thought this weekend would be different.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:56 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Who are the right people? I think putting this here is getting this out to the right people. 

I have little or no reason to doubt WDE and hope like hell that the thugs get caught doing this. It reminds me of a watering hose with thousands of little pin holes that squirt out water (aka money) on the the plants (recruits) you are trying to grow (recruit). One or more of them will leak out the evidence as to where the source of the water (money) is coming from sooner or later. Gonna happen sooner or later.

How this can happen and never get caught is one for the ages. Maybe the NCAA should assign a team that deals specifically with the SEC East and one with the SEC West. Heck, have 2 teams assigned to each conference for compliance issues. If you are clean, then there is nothing to worry about. IF you are not, then God have mercy on your scholarship totals and fines.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Wanya Morris cancelled his OV to us after his Tennessee OV. If we got him to campus that next weekend we most likely get him

Yup! This is why I don't like scheduled last visited. I'd rather be earlier & make a hell of an impression & potentially close it out ourselves like we did the Summer Smoke Monday committed to us over Clemson.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:47 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Is there a chance that Kirby told him that if took anymore OVs that UGA wouldn't take him

Nope. UGA needs him too much to cut him lose if he had visited.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Calvin Ashley a few years ago was a 5 star... we saw how that one turned out. That dude honestly killed our future recruiting on the OL. 

Gus has killed it with his OL recruiting philosophy. Big assist to Grimes on not being able to close on Gus's top targets.

12 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Do our coaches still get the chance to talk to him? Or is this a silent period? Maybe there's still a chance. I'm not downing the kid and I hope no one else does. Auburn fans need to stay classy on this. 🙂

Gus visited the kid last Thursday.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:05 PM, lca408 said:

Shortsighted personnel management by the staff for a couple of years now through Gus's tenure, and now they’re desperate to try and catch up

FIFY

The money thing...well, I know it's possible, but no one is giving me proof it's real..

What OL recruit did we lose? Kid is committed to uga. AU didn't lose anyone.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, gr82b4au said:

This can be said every year for the past four years. It is remarkable

On the OL, specifically OT, 7 years.

Archived