2020 5* OT Broderick Jones (UGA)

Auburn Kev

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’m starting to wonder if he’s payback for Pickens. Maybe he’s planning to flip to the good guys at the last minute.

That would be nice.

6 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’m starting to wonder if he’s payback for Pickens. Maybe he’s planning to flip to the good guys at the last minute.

In the words of Steven Tyler,  “Dream On, dream on”!!

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Well f***

While hope springs eternal, when he canceled his visit here that pretty much told the story for me.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

While hope springs eternal, when he canceled his visit here that pretty much told the story for me.

So he suddenly cancels his visit to Auburn.

Then suddenly it's announced that he's delaying his announcement and it's related to Illinois.

And then he suddenly announces his commitment to uga.

What's that tell you? Tells me that dude just turned two college programs into ATM machines.

Now that's out of the way, I pray he never protects his quarterback against a single Auburn Defensive end for his collegiate career. 😡

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Then suddenly it's announced that he's delaying his announcement and it's related to Illinois.

What's that tell you? Tells me that dude just turned two college programs into ATM machines.

Or, it could tell us that all this payment stuff is nothing but the usual sour grapes rumors we hear every time some highly sought kid goes somewhere besides Auburn. I don't normally go to other team's boards, but I have checked on occasion when AU gets a signature somebody else wanted. A dozen posts pop up on their boards about how we paid the kid. Most of them even "know" how much we paid and which person actually received the cash.

I think 99.9% of this stuff is nothing but rumors and sour grape griping from disappointed fans of the various schools.

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Or, it could tell us that all this payment stuff is nothing but the usual sour grapes rumors we hear every time some highly sought kid goes somewhere besides Auburn. I don't normally go to other team's boards, but I have checked on occasion when AU gets a signature somebody else wanted. A dozen posts pop up on their boards about how we paid the kid. Most of them even "know" how much we paid and which person actually received the cash.

I think 99.9% of this stuff is nothing but rumors and sour grape griping from disappointed fans of the various schools.

I think there's truth both ways. I think it happens less than most fans believe, and more than what you are saying. 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think there's truth both ways. I think it happens less than most fans believe, and more than what you are saying. 

That could be but until I see otherwise I'm hanging on to the 99.5% false rumor stat. :)

Just now, Mikey said:

That could be but until I see otherwise I'm hanging on to the 99.5% false rumor stat. :)

Put it this way:

Back when I was in high school, we had two highly rated guys come through. One was a 5*, the other a high 4*.

They were both dirt poor being raised by a single parent and had nothing other than football and a car worth about 500 bucks.

Saw Nick Saban come through our gym one day and talk to the 5*. I assume the 4* guy had a visitor as well when it happened to him...

5* drives to school the next day in a brand new Hummer. How do I know? I parked beside him. Later committed and signed with Bammer.

4* guy was a little older than I was when it happened, so I didn't know him too well, but he sure did like those brand new Jordan's he was rocking all the sudden.

It happens. Maybe not all over the place, but it happens. 

Like Richardson's family being paid to house sit for the bammer alumni, I'm sure the bammer players are being paid to take care of the cars provided by bammer alumni car dealerships.  I wouldn't be hard if the NCAA wanted to find out. But they don't.  Its all about the millions being made by college football.

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Announced for UGA

what would be funny would be for him to jump off sides against us and costs the mutts the 2020 game against us!

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

After what Schwartz said last year, we know Pickens was well paid to go to Athens. Jones wanted uga to up the ante...Pickens said, “try this.”  Jones was always going there, the $$$ just wasn’t what he thought he deserved, so he played AU to get a raise. 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Interesting stand to take since there's no real attainable way to prove either side.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Interesting stand to take since there's no real attainable way to prove either side.

No way to prove it, but virtually every time a top-level prospect signs with a school, the jilted fans of other schools start the "he was paid $XXX" stuff.  I've done it myself in times past, but that didn't make it true.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:
17 hours ago, Mikey said:

To quote a saying on a Hooters wet nap...  66.9% of all statistics are made up.

21 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

To quote a saying on a Hooters wet nap...  66.9% of all statistics are made up.

I feel like Hooters, of all places, missed an opportunity to really go for it there.

No, people don't claim payoffs "virtually every time a top-level prospect signs with a school". That is hyperbolic nonsense. People do, however, speculate about last minute shenanigans. And they speculate even more when the smoke keeps coming from the same camp. 

Yeah, I'm sure it's just coincidence that this stuff happened every year in Turdistan until a couple years ago and now it's happening every year in Athens. Why could that be?

Yeah, it's totally normal that our kids are openly tweeting cash payment allegations and we're hearing specific numbers for specific actions. That's always gone on, right?

Some folks just love to fold their arms and pretend to be the voice of reason. The irony is rich but ultimately boring. That part actually is normal and expected. 

The first of these rumors I can remember is when the Florida people said Ted Hendricks couldn't make the grades to get into UF and/or Miami paid him big wads of cash. The first part was easily refutable, Hendricks majored in nuclear engineering at Miami. The second part, like today, is hard to prove unless somebody blabs. Such allegations are a common occurrence, like it or not.

The sour grapes stuff from fans is quite ordinary. I'd say around 99.5% of the time with top of the line recruits that were hotly contested.

Archived