All Things Isaac Okoro NBA Draft (Merged)

GwillMac6

Here are some of the latest and most recent mock drafts and where they have him projected to go. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/ 23rd. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867871-final-2020-nba-mock-draft-before-the-new-year#slide14  7th on Bleacher Report Mock Draft. This is BY FAR the highest I have seen him projected by a wide margin.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-james-wiseman-falls-to-warriors-knicks-get-a-game-changing-guard/ back to the range on this mock draft where he has been mostly projected to go which is middle to bottom of the first round. 22nd here.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and @Tiger were just talking about this the other day. IF you are projected to be a guaranteed first round pick?? GO GO GO GO!!!!! DO NOT wait. There are so many cautionary tales out there where guys came back to raise their stock and slipped out of the first. One of the main ones is Willie Warren who played with Blake Griffin on those awesome Oklahoma teams. He was a projected top 10 pick after his Freshmen year. People were comparing him to Eric Gordon and saying he was going to be one of the next wave of stud NBA shooting Guards. He came back and then fell completely out of the first round. Was drafted in the second by the clippers and barely got a cup of coffee in the NBA. Has not been in the NBA since the 2010-2011 season. Has been with 12 various professional teams across the globe since......... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Warren

rewr.jpg

59 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Me and @Tiger were just talking about this the other day. IF you are projected to be a first round pick?? GO GO GO GO!!!!! DO NOT wait. There are so many cautionary tales out there where guys came back to raise their stock and slipped out of the first. One of the main ones is Willie Warren who played with Blake Griffin on those awesome Oklahoma teams. He was a projected top 10 pick after his Freshmen year. People were comparing him to Eric Gordon and saying he was going to be one of the next wave of stud NBA shooting Guards. He came back and then fell completely out of the first round. Was drafted in the second by the clippers and barely got a cup of coffee in the NBA. Has not been in the NBA since the 2010-2011 season. Has been with 12 various professional teams across the globe since......... 

rewr.jpg

Simple math that even I can understand. Only 5 dudes on the floor. 30 teams in the league. Don't pass up an opportunity to make them pay you. Not even to throw lobs to Blake Griffin.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Simple math that even I can understand. Only 5 dudes on the floor. 30 teams in the league. Don't pass up an opportunity to make them pay you. Not even to throw lobs to Blake Griffin.

THE LOOF HAS SPOKEN!!!!!! WHATCHA GONNA DO BROTHER WHEN THE LOOF RUNS WILD ON YOUUUUUUUU WITH LOGIC?!?! lol.

If you're a back of the first projection, you go if and only if you have a good feel for which team will pick you. If you don't, there is zero difference between a back of the first projection and a top of the second projection. Most teams let players know "if you're available at this spot, we're taking you." That's what happened with Chuma. That's why he was never stressed. If Okoro hears similar feedback, no one can fault him for jumping. If he doesn't, it's a dice roll on whether he's getting a guaranteed contract or a preferred walk-on spot as a second rounder. 

The other thing is whether there is a clear path to improving his draft stock. For Okoro, that's improving as a set shooter, particularly in the corner. He's already a dynamic cutter. He's a solid post player, and he's an excellent rebounder for a 3. Obviously, he's a defensive beast. If he can hit that corner three, he's a lottery pick. Without question. If that doesn't improve next year, his stock slips because teams will start to lose confidence that it can improve. He may have a tough call at season's end.

In my very uneducated opinion, the one thing I see he needs to improve on is defending without fouling. He's very aggressive but it has cost him a lot of early playing time in games because he has to sit on the bench after picking his 2nd/3rd foul about 10-12 minutes into the game. It's something I'm sure he'll get better at as the year progresses and if he continues to be projected to go in the 1st round I won't hate him for leaving. Take the money when you can and don't get injured.

I think he’s gone regardless but at this trajectory, I don’t think he’ll be very polished offensively. Not to say he doesn’t have some things he’s clearly able to be good at, just needs to be some big improvement for whoever drafts him. Very raw prospect 

Might as well do that improvement while getting paid 4 it though 

If his offense improves even just a little bit, he gone.  I'm rooting for him to be gone to be honest.  The more 1st Round Draft Picks BRUCE can produce the better it is for the future of the program.  Recruiting is looking good for 20/21 but it will take us to another level if we get Okoro into the league as a 1 and done along with Wiley and possibly Samir.

You want to win Championships?  Come to Auburn.
You want to get to the League?  Come to Auburn.

• ellitor changed the title to Isaac Okoro Draft Stock
On 12/31/2019 at 1:32 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Me and @Tiger were just talking about this the other day. IF you are projected to be a guaranteed first round pick?? GO GO GO GO!!!!! DO NOT wait. There are so many cautionary tales out there where guys came back to raise their stock and slipped out of the first. One of the main ones is Willie Warren who played with Blake Griffin on those awesome Oklahoma teams. He was a projected top 10 pick after his Freshmen year. People were comparing him to Eric Gordon and saying he was going to be one of the next wave of stud NBA shooting Guards. He came back and then fell completely out of the first round. Was drafted in the second by the clippers and barely got a cup of coffee in the NBA. Has not been in the NBA since the 2010-2011 season. Has been with 12 various professional teams across the globe since......... 

rewr.jpg

Hell yeah bro. Damn how much does Warren regret coming back for year 2? 

A lot of times putting more film out there is the worst thing you can do. It's better to let the NBA figure out who you really are while they're paying you than to expose yourself with more film for free. Of course this is only for those who have that opportunity in front of them.

That being said, IMO there's been enough buzz generated about Okoro being a mid-1st round pick even with his offense being a work in progress for him to get picked in Round 1. Unless he really looks overwhelmed in conference play he likely doesn't need to improve much on O to be taken in the middle to later portion of the 1st round. The NBA team will pay him to develop that while he brings his defensive prowess to the team.

NBA teams draft as much on potential as to what the player is actually doing. A guy his size who plays D like he does is a commodity the NBA covets.  He is a great athlete and a  hard worker with a couple of weak areas in his game a consistent outside shot  and the ability to hit pull up shots or floaters in the lane when his drive is stopped.  It really comes down to will an NBA team make him a 1st round choice believing that he will improve those weak areas.  If so he he should go and will go.  If however the teams tell him he is second round and no guarantees then he will have a tough choice stay and prove that he can improve those areas and move up. That has a risk also if those areas don't improve what happens.

I have watched him play all year and am very impressed by him but at this time I think he only has about a 50/50 chance of going 1st round based on his potential maybe 60/40 because of how well he plays D. If he starts hitting his outside shots consistently as the year goes on then he will be gone.

I was thinking he could test the draft without losing eligibility... but my memory is fuzzy on the recent rule changes.  

Can get an agent under certain circumstances without losing amateur status, but then what?  Can’t remember.

i really hope we get him for a second year.  I’m more of a 2 and done than the whole 1 and done.  Sure wish the nba would throw the NCAA a bone and change their rules.

There’s literally no chance of Okoro going second round, even with the slip in offensive production since his fantastic start. Unless he just starts oozing points defensively and loses his fundamentals on that end, he’s fine

The biggest factors for him, and these two probably aren’t even close in importance: 1. If I get a mid-low projection, is this acceptable? 2. How would playing with Sharife and a (potentially) stacked class be? 

he seems like a guy that wants to go to the league, but he also seems like a guy that takes everything in stride. It’s really about if and how convincing Cooper chooses to be

I don’t think he’s quite Okeke level defensively, because he doesn’t match up as well against 5s and his arms aren’t crazy long, but I, and this is just my personal opinion, think having a clamp artist for guards and wings is an attribute that does more for him. I feel there’s more competent forward defenders (prob because of the ATG talent at the forward spot currently) than competent guard defenders. The leash for an Okogie or Hunter from UVA is crazy long because what they can do there (and the spots they ended up at). 

The real test for Okoro will be when he is guarding a Super Star type player like Anthony Edwards from Georgia. If he can shut him down or slow him down a good bit then his stock rises because that type D with other parts of his game would make him a 1st round player.  If Edwards lights him up then his stock goes down some. That is assuming he is guarding Edwards. Also the way our team switches on D he would have to be judged on the times he is guarding Edwards not on how many points Edwards scores in total when others were guarding him.

The argument about playing with Sharife seems like a weird one to me

Hmmm play with one of my friends for free or start making millions of dollars? I would hope my buddies would have the brains to tell me to say screw playing with me and go get your money

26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The argument about playing with Sharife seems like a weird one to me

Hmmm play with one of my friends for free or start making millions of dollars? I would hope my buddies would have the brains to tell me to say screw playing with me and go get your money

I think the odds of Okoro not making millions of dollars is pretty low. Outside of crazy injury i don't see his draft stock going lower then it is now. So i think the question isn't so much play with friend OR make millions of dollars but play with friend AND THEN make millions of dollars. And does him coming back for year 2 take him from being a top 15 pick to being a top 5 pick? IMO i think it is unlikely we get to enjoy his talents for a second season but i don't think it 100% guaranteed he goes either. A lot of it really depends on how much he enjoys playing at AU and living the college life. Some guys can't get to the NBA fast enough and some guys seem to enjoy the journey. I don't claim to have insight into what category Okoro falls in. 

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think the odds of Okoro not making millions of dollars is pretty low. Outside of crazy injury i don't see his draft stock going lower then it is now. So i think the question isn't so much play with friend OR make millions of dollars but play with friend AND THEN make millions of dollars. And does him coming back for year 2 take him from being a top 15 pick to being a top 5 pick? IMO i think it is unlikely we get to enjoy his talents for a second season but i don't think it 100% guaranteed he goes either. A lot of it really depends on how much he enjoys playing at AU and living the college life. Some guys can't get to the NBA fast enough and some guys seem to enjoy the journey. I don't claim to have insight into what category Okoro falls in. 

Me neither and I can only project my own feelings on what I would do if I was blessed with that type of talent. I get it -- he can come back a 2nd year show he has an outside shot and a tighter handle and jump into the lottery. But what if he turns his ankle early in the year and just doesn't heal up right but is still able to play and his play suffers for it? What if he has a severe injury, God forbid? Or what if he's actually just not that good like Willie Warren, who was mentioned earlier in the thread, and is just incapable of developing an offensive game? Let me be clear, I'm not saying that's the case with the Ice Man but there have been many guys who play themselves out of the league by staying in college too long. To me it seems safer to get to the league ASAP than flame out before he even has a chance.

Personally I don't think playing with Sharife should enter his mind at all -- it will be good for some PR stuff if he does come back but if he's making business decisions based on things like that I would probably recommend to the young man that he get some smarter people in his ear. The money is life changing. Of course I'm not saying anything new or particularly ground breaking this will be the discussion all season until May regarding Isaac. And like I said it's just how I'd approach it but I'm not a freak athlete either lol.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Me neither and I can only project my own feelings on what I would do if I was blessed with that type of talent. I get it -- he can come back a 2nd year show he has an outside shot and a tighter handle and jump into the lottery. But what if he turns his ankle early in the year and just doesn't heal up right but is still able to play and his play suffers for it? What if he has a severe injury, God forbid? Or what if he's actually just not that good like Willie Warren, who was mentioned earlier in the thread, and is just incapable of developing an offensive game? Let me be clear, I'm not saying that's the case with the Ice Man but there have been many guys who play themselves out of the league by staying in college too long. To me it seems safer to get to the league ASAP than flame out before he even has a chance.

Personally I don't think playing with Sharife should enter his mind at all -- it will be good for some PR stuff if he does come back but if he's making business decisions based on things like that I would probably recommend to the young man that he get some smarter people in his ear. The money is life changing. Of course I'm not saying anything new or particularly ground breaking this will be the discussion all season until May regarding Isaac. And like I said it's just how I'd approach it but I'm not a freak athlete either lol.

Yup i can't disagree with anything you have here. Going pro when gauranteed a 1st round spot is for sure the safe decision if taking the shortest route to the most money is your goal. Which it is for about 90% of players out there. 

Hell we have a fairly good example on the team right now in Wiley. I recall he was a for sure 1st round talent coming out of HS and now i'm not sure if he is still viewed that way. 

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yup i can't disagree with anything you have here. Going pro when gauranteed a 1st round spot is for sure the safe decision if taking the shortest route to the most money is your goal. Which it is for about 90% of players out there. 

Hell we have a fairly good example on the team right now in Wiley. I recall he was a for sure 1st round talent coming out of HS and now i'm not sure if he is still viewed that way. 

He is not. BUT because of his stellar play this season so far he is finally popping back up going high in the second round. SO progress is being made with his stock.

I’m curious to see how he does now that we are getting in to league play. If he is consistent and still playing at his current level or higher then he’ll bolt I think. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m curious to see how he does now that we are getting in to league play. If he is consistent and still playing at his current level or higher then he’ll bolt I think. 

Outside of his weak hand strength...Wiley has shown consistent improvement this year.

And I am shocked at how well his FTs have looked. He is so fluid on his stroke.

He looks better shooting them than our guards who should have the best hands as guards and get more chances at FTs...

On 1/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, GwillMac6 said:

He is not. BUT because of his stellar play this season so far he is finally popping back up going high in the second round. SO progress is being made with his stock.

He's score double digit points in 9 of the last 10 games.  I'd love to see Wiley get drafted after everything he's been through and finally getting it all together this season.

Wiley's stock is more about the change of style of play in the NBA than his individual play in general, but there's no way he won't be on a roster in the NBA minus injury. 

As far as Okoro so far he's not as high as this board have him but he'll be on a roster too. He has alot of with to do offensively

Also there is a huge difference between low first round and second round....2 years of guaranteed money is huge.

Thinking about playing with Cooper??? That's HILARIOUS. I didn't read that hear but if it was said I'd just need one guess to who said it

Archived