All Things Isaac Okoro NBA Draft (Merged)

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I knew that was the thought about Coop, and I suspected it to be the case with Thor, but how much did those connected to the program think Okoro would develop enough to go after one year in August in 2019? (I ask that as an honest question...I don't remember any buzz about that possibility, but it certainly could have been there.)

There’s a big difference between Okoro and  Thor. Okoro has and had a much more filled out body. Thor is much more slender and had one year less of high school ball which means one less year to for his body to develop so he’ll need that much more strength training in Auburn‘s program. And the Thor info is not new. We have discussed it in his commitment thread.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

There’s a big difference between Okoro and  Thor. Okoro has and had a much more filled out body. Thor is much more slender and had one year less of high school ball which means one less year to for his body to develop so he’ll need that much more strength training in Auburn‘s program. And the Thor info is not new. We have discussed it in his commitment thread.

I get that. And I think it's probably pretty likely that both will be around come the 21-22 season.

But that doesn't change anything about Okoro not being expected to be one and done this time last year.

Coop was the high school player of the year when he was a junior, and Thor is already 6'10 and can shoot from outside. There's plenty of reason to believe that either might have a chance to develop enough over the next 8 months to become a first round draft pick. Part of me hopes it doesn't happen, but then, another part of me hopes it does, because it'll mean great things about how this season went as well as having a continued recruiting impact.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, Rednilla said:

I get that. And I think it's probably pretty likely that both will be around come the 21-22 season.

But that doesn't change anything about Okoro not being expected to be one and done this time last year.

@RednillaThe point I'm making is pointless & useless to compare 1 & done expectations for Okoro to Thor. Plain & simple, 1 had the body to surpass 1 & done expectations & the other likely doesn't regardless of his raw talent.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, Rednilla said:

Coop was the high school player of the year when he was a junior, and Thor is already 6'10 and can shoot from outside. There's plenty of reason to believe that either might have a chance to develop enough over the next 8 months to become a first round draft pick. Part of me hopes it doesn't happen, but then, another part of me hopes it does, because it'll mean great things about how this season went as well as having a continued recruiting impact.

On the technicality since you used the word chance it's a pretty small one. Thor doesn't have the body needed to excel at an SEC grind much less an NBA one. It will have to be developed in more than 8 months. Also, likely no matter how well he does in year 1 it's highly likely his height will keep Coop from leaving year 1. 1 college season will not likely change NBA scouts minds on that.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@RednillaThe point I'm making is pointless & useless to compare 1 & done expectations for Okoro to Thor. Plain & simple, 1 had the body to surpass 1 & done expectations & the other likely doesn't regardless of his raw talent.

On the technicality since you used the word chance it's a pretty small one. Thor doesn't have the body needed to excel at an SEC grind much less an NBA one. It will have to be developed in more than 8 months. Also, likely no matter how well he does in year 1 it's highly likely his height will keep Coop from leaving year 1. 1 college season will not likely change NBA scouts minds on that.

I hope you're right. And, truthfully, I'm sure you have a better handle on the situation than I do, considering I rarely pay attention to the NBA. This new reality with the basketball program takes some time to get used to.

Thor's physical structure is very desired in the NBA right now, guys (busts) like Thon Maker have made it to where you have to be at least a little skilled, but the raw skill is there. He's not a 5 like them (unless he hits a spurt) but Giannis and AD (best case scenarios), Bol Bol's rise in the bubble, these point centers, long guys that can play on the perimeter on one end and contest around the rim on the other is hot stock right now. Tesla. A JT Thor is Tesla

I'm looking at JT Thor being potentially a 1 and done guy as well and will be ecstatic if we get him for 2 years. This kid is a freak. At his height, with his ball handling skills, coordination, outside shot, defensive versatility with his type of rim protecting ability the NBA would gladly pay/draft him to develop his strength and his game in their program ASAP. Just as @Dual-Threat Rigby said above his body type and skillset is extremely coveted. I personally am extremely excited about watching his development in Bruce's system and beyond.

I understand the idea that he needs to work on his body but that is no longer a huge deterrent for NBA teams. He's so young that will come anyway. To be honest, he just needs to flash enough potential as a freshman and he's going to get a high enough draft grade to warrant declaring due to his size/skill combination. He doesn't have to be a guy who's dominating games, but just show stretches of his ability and will be enough for him to be gone IMO. The NBA draft is not at all about college production, it's all about having potential and of course having NBA size -- which he already does.

Look at this kid's highlights from Summer 2019, imagine this stud running the floor for us. And that's the #1 player in the class Chet Holmgren he's making plays against early in the video.. Apparently he's grown since these clips were taken and is 6'10+ now. His ceiling is crazy high IMO. Bruce his a hell of a developer so I'm looking forward to seeing what we get out of the young fella in our system

One of the few instances where I think Covid will help our program. Normally, I think he’d be able to get the development and exposure to say I’m out. But with a transient schedule, certainly far less games, I don’t think he’d risk it 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm looking at JT Thor being potentially a 1 and done guy as well and will be ecstatic if we get him for 2 years. This kid is a freak. At his height, with his ball handling skills, coordination, outside shot, defensive versatility with his type of rim protecting ability the NBA would gladly pay/draft him to develop his strength and his game in their program ASAP. Just as @Dual-Threat Rigby said above his body type and skillset is extremely coveted. I personally am extremely excited about watching his development in Bruce's system and beyond.

I understand the idea that he needs to work on his body but that is no longer a huge deterrent for NBA teams. He's so young that will come anyway. To be honest, he just needs to flash enough potential as a freshman and he's going to get a high enough draft grade to warrant declaring due to his size/skill combination. He doesn't have to be a guy who's dominating games, but just show stretches of his ability and will be enough for him to be gone IMO. The NBA draft is not at all about college production, it's all about having potential and of course having NBA size -- which he already does.

Look at this kid's highlights from Summer 2019, imagine this stud running the floor for us. And that's the #1 player in the class Chet Holmgren he's making plays against early in the video.. Apparently he's grown since these clips were taken and is 6'10+ now. His ceiling is crazy high IMO. Bruce his a hell of a developer so I'm looking forward to seeing what we get out of the young fella in our system

@Tiger Thor was already a longshot at being 1 & done  but covid has made the odds of him leaving after 1 year miniscule. I think some are underestimating his great need to get stronger. Covid has greatly shortened the strength effects from our normal conditioning program which JT greatly needed. Also word out of AU is he will likely not be a starter, at least early in the season. Also a kid's body can still be a very much deterent, especially if it's shown to be a weakness in the 1st year of SEC play.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

You've got me fired up, my dude!

When was the last time Auburn had a big man with this much potential? 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The way he played in the post I would say Chuma qualifies.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The way he played in the post I would say Chuma qualifies.

Thor definitely will need at least a year of strength and conditioning, and i think he will be a 2 year Auburn Tiger, then if he has the numbers, go pro after his soph year...

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Tiger Thor was already a longshot at being 1 & done  but covid has made the odds of him leaving after 1 year miniscule. I think some are underestimating his great need to get stronger. Covid has greatly shortened the strength effects from our normal conditioning program which JT greatly needed. Also word out of AU is he will likely not be a starter, at least early in the season. Also a kid's body can still be a very much deterent, especially if it's shown to be a weakness in the 1st year of SEC play.

I just want to be clear that my position on this based on his unique skillset and size and not necessarily due to his direct immediate impact. I get that you're saying he needs to get stronger and I don't disagree. I just think the NBA takes lottery pick flyers on guys like that. Kids that show potential, not necessarily production. Skal Labissiere from Kentucky got drafted in the 1st round a few years ago after averaging 6 points and 3 rebounds a game because of his measurables. JT's body type and overall skill set is unique and very enticing to the NBA scouts IMO. As far as Covid affecting his personal development that is a great point but I still think he just needs to *flash* his ability and not necessarily take over games or have crazy long stretches of dominance for him to get a serious look from the NBA. This guy is like Wiley's height but can move around the perimeter. IMO he's going to be a terror in the passing lanes because he's athletic enough to be out there.

There have been quite a bit of lottery picks who's flaws included "needs to add strength". And especially with the kids being drafted getting younger and younger this is something NBA teams are willing to invest time to build these guys' bodies up IMO. 

I hope you are right because if we get 2 seasons of this guy I really believe he could be our next top 10 pick. But I could see him flashing enough to warrant being a 1st rounder. Of course, this would be in a normal year I also think next year's NBA draft class is supposed to be loaded so that may also be working in our favor. Good points about the normal conditioning program. I think he's going to be a nightmare flying around on defense in our havoc wreaking system. He's just so long and agile that you don't often see that out of players who are 6'10 and that might be enough for the NBA to take him somewhere in the 1st. The fact that he has so much room to grow -- he is supposed to be starting his senior year of HS now -- also make him more attractive to NBA teams. But I really hope we get to see him really blossom as a 2nd year player for us because I really think Bruce will get this kid to blow up.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Chuma, as E alluded to, is a good comp from an overall skills standpoint. 

My overall point is that I wouldn't rule out him being gone before we see him reach his college level *potential* because the NBA likes his pro potential so much. He is a rare blend of height and skill which can affect both ends of the court IMO. He's not really a true big man, he's got a wing-ish skill set with big man height if the 6'10+ reports are accurate

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

My overall point is that I wouldn't rule out him being gone before we see him reach his college level *potential* because the NBA likes his pro potential so much. He is a rare blend of height and skill which can affect both ends of the court IMO. He's not really a true big man, he's got a wing skill set with big man height if the 6'10+ reports are accurate

So basically one of those European guys? Haha. It seems like there's always some super tall dude coming from somewhere east of England who can handle the ball, pass and shoot 3-pointers. 

Just watched his (Thor) film that was posted yesterday. His skill set is sick. He may be here one year, he may stay for four...hell nobody knows.His potential looks unlimited really as that body fills out. A guy that height that’s handles the ball and shoots that way? Hell to the yes!

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

I just think the NBA takes lottery pick flyers on guys like that.

@Tiger At the 1 & done level they don't unless the players have dominated in their next step after HS or have shown they have some physicality or quality body strength already. I get what you are trying to say but every kid I've seen be 1 & done but didn't dominate in college already had a quality body. They already had some semblance of an NBA body which JT has not & does not yet.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Skal Labissiere from Kentucky got drafted in the 1st round a few years ago after averaging 6 points and 3 rebounds a game because of his measurables.

Exactly, which JT doesn't have in the body department yet. Skai was a bit bigger than JT out of high school plus he had a full, normal year to strengthen his body, something JT is not getting right now or much of this year. I just don't see the NBA making a kid rail thin at 6'10 & 190 lbs a lottery or 1st round pick unless he dominates on & doesn't get his lunch handed to him on D because of how skinny he is.

Is he gonna play the 4?  Tunde at 5?

Most kids will have issues at the 5 in the sec... if he’s at the 4 then I think weight is much less of a concern if he shows some alpha aggressiveness.

I’ll let u guys W knowledge discuss nba

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Is he gonna play the 4?  Tunde at 5?

Most kids will have issues at the 5 in the sec... if he’s at the 4 then I think weight is much less of a concern if he shows some alpha aggressiveness.

I’ll let u guys W knowledge discuss nba

I would think Babatunde and Cardwell is their ideal 5 two deep by this point next season, maybe earlier. Then you have JT come in when the spacing is needed or he just works better as a matchup. To me, and this is a NBA reference, he'd be like a Bol Bol or Michael Porter Jr, 6'10+ bigs that pair well with this stockier guy named Jokic, who's their center. 

• 2 months later...

did wiley get drafted? his cards are dirt cheap on ebay. thanx for any answers.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

did wiley get drafted? his cards are dirt cheap on ebay. thanx for any answers.

He did not get drafted. I have not heard of him getting any minor league deals yet either. 

Archived