All Things Isaac Okoro NBA Draft (Merged)

GwillMac6

NBAdraft.net hasn't updated their mock in 1.5 weeks and they have him going the lowest right now. When that updates I'm assuming it'll be more in line with the others

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tiger said:

NBAdraft.net hasn't updated their mock in 1.5 weeks and they have him going the lowest right now. When that updates I'm assuming it'll be more in line with the others

They have had him there all season. I do not think so. And didn't you say they were low on him and did not even have him in the first round for the longest time? They def are the outlier. 

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You'd be in disagreement with all of the recent projections if you said that.

Not all.....it will depend mostly on team needs more than anything, if a team needs a point they're not picking him no matter what. The question is well it be him or an international project picked when it's time for him to maybe get picked, he's not going to jump the top 3 period

If things go the way I think he's probably going to drop anyway....but I'm being ignored so next year I guess everybody will be surprised....

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If things go the way I think he's probably going to drop anyway....but I'm being ignored so next year I guess everybody will be surprised....

You saying Okoro's play is about to fall off?

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You saying Okoro's play is about to fall off?

Not necessarily his play but maybe. I feel like we are going to have an early exist in the tournament and he not get to show everything he can do.

As far as his position in the draft it's just too early to nail it down to an exact pick. Like I said team needs comes first and there's a bunch needing point guards and also it depends who comes out. Like that forward that plays for Florida. If he came out I'm sorry but I'm picking him up before Okoro.

When he signed with us I said he'll be drafted for his defense and that's the case, I also said I wish he was a couple of inches taller.....if he was he would be coveted even more.  If he can get a hot steak going on his 3 ball it would mean ALOT. Usually when a team is just needing a good defensive player they have all of their other pieces and they are actually a pretty good team....that means they are usually picking last....that's what makes Okoro's situation unique. He's not a franchise player but he can be a glue guy but they aren't usually drafted so high.

Off note if the Knicks could some how get mello and wiseman??? That would be a game changer

👀👀👀

On 2/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

Why would you hate it?  It would be HUGE for recruiting.

I would like to see him in a Auburn uniform next year tearing it up. But come on, I didnt mean. I hate it that he is being drafted! Of course it's good for him and good for program to show that AU can send guys to the NBA

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

Not necessarily his play but maybe. I feel like we are going to have an early exist in the tournament and he not get to show everything he can do.

As far as his position in the draft it's just too early to nail it down to an exact pick. Like I said team needs comes first and there's a bunch needing point guards and also it depends who comes out. Like that forward that plays for Florida. If he came out I'm sorry but I'm picking him up before Okoro.

When he signed with us I said he'll be drafted for his defense and that's the case, I also said I wish he was a couple of inches taller.....if he was he would be coveted even more.  If he can get a hot steak going on his 3 ball it would mean ALOT. Usually when a team is just needing a good defensive player they have all of their other pieces and they are actually a pretty good team....that means they are usually picking last....that's what makes Okoro's situation unique. He's not a franchise player but he can be a glue guy but they aren't usually drafted so high.

Off note if the Knicks could some how get mello and wiseman??? That would be a game changer

Gotcha.

How would Knicks get both those guys? Yeah 2 of the top 3 lottery picks in a year would def change the trajectory of their team. I'm hoping it doesn't happen bc the Knicks don't deserve it. They're so poorly run that I don't even want them to luck into getting some game changers. Not only that, those players don't deserve to be on the Knicks. Those kids didn't do anything to deserve being subjected to that clown show lol. They aren't even invested in developing all of their other lottery picks

On 2/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Guy was probably on pace for his best offensive game here, damn shame 

He was on his way to having a "break out game" that would've gotten him some ESPN love.

I'll dispute that "glue guys" aren't generally drafted that high. Okoro is a high-potential version of DeAndre Hunter. Hunter was a better shooter by the time he left college, but Okoro is much younger. Both were smart players. Both are multi-position defenders. Hunter went 4 last year. Heck, I could see Atlanta taking Okoro given the fact that Hunter hasn't been great. Keep swinging for the 3-and-D wing.

In this draft, where everything feels up for grabs, I could absolutely see him going in the Top Five. 

SEC banners, Final 4s, beating bluebloods, and first round draft picks. My how times have changed for AU basketball. WDE and WDBruce!

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I'll dispute that "glue guys" aren't generally drafted that high. Okoro is a high-potential version of DeAndre Hunter. Hunter was a better shooter by the time he left college, but Okoro is much younger. Both were smart players. Both are multi-position defenders. Hunter went 4 last year. Heck, I could see Atlanta taking Okoro given the fact that Hunter hasn't been great. Keep swinging for the 3-and-D wing.

In this draft, where everything feels up for grabs, I could absolutely see him going in the Top Five. 

I think it's a pretty high chance he does go high, if Minnesota is in the top 5 I really dont see any possible way he goes past them. I think im regurgitating earlier posts but Ive seen a combined 5 mocks now that have him going to either ATL or Minne now. It just isnt a draft where people can be picky, esp with a guy who has the high ceiling, defined attribute he's amazing at and "a great dev trait" as we'd say in 2K.

13 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Heck, I could see Atlanta taking Okoro

Saw that projection somewhere last night and got pretty excited. I've long dreamed of the Hawks or Falcons having an Auburn star. (Not a baseball guy... Sorry, Huddy.) 

For a minute there it looked like the Falcons might be picking right around where D. Brown is projected, but they can't even tank right.

Anyway... DAMN, it would be awesome if Trae Young's entourage picked Okoro. 

Okoro may not have the highest ceiling of the projected lottery guys but i think he has the highest floor. Not sure if he will be a superstar but i feel very confident that the worst scenario is that he is a long time contributor in the NBA. In a draft without for sure superstars i think I go with the pick i can count on and Okoro is that guy

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Okoro may not have the highest ceiling of the projected lottery guys but i think he has the highest floor. Not sure if he will be a superstar but i feel very confident that the worst scenario is that he is a long time contributor in the NBA. In a draft without for sure superstars i think I go with the pick i can count on and Okoro is that guy

Why do you say there aren't any superstars?

Atl or Minnesota would be idiots if they took Okoro with their first picks....especially ATL. Okoro is around the 3rd best at his position in this draft. What some of you are seeing isn't adding up to me. Seems like team needs aren't being placed in the equations. 

But the season is still going and maybe some teams will get structured different or something like that or guys will step up and change the needs of a team. Okoro is the type of pick that completes a team not build a team around him

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Atl or Minnesota would be idiots if they took Okoro with their first picks....especially ATL. Okoro is around the 3rd best at his position in this draft. What some of you are seeing isn't adding up to me. Seems like team needs aren't being placed in the equations. 

But the season is still going and maybe some teams will get structured different or something like that or guys will step up and change the needs of a team. Okoro is the type of pick that completes a team not build a team around him

Your last paragraph is correct but IMO it feels like you're overlooking the part of your assessment that is actually in line for both ATL and Minnesota - - both have their cores in place already. Neither would be picking an Okoro type to build around. They already have the players there that they want to move forward with. They'd pick him as a piece like you said. ATL has all those teenagers they're trying to feel out and probably have a good idea what their starting 5 will look like in 2 years (unless they have plans to trade them for an established stud). Minny has their main duo for the next 5 years plus Culver and Okogie both who are good wing defenders and added Malik Beasley too at the deadline. They prob need a PF realistically but I think bc they're currently slotted at around 5 and Okoro is being mocked in that area they put him there. JMO 

But I've always maintained that these mocks are guessing where on the board/in order they will likely go. The destination can largely be ignored right now because the lottery will dictate that the first 14 picks will look almost nothing like the order they're showing them in these mocks. JMO anyway. And of course once the lottery happens and the order becomes solidified then the mocks will have a little more value in terms of projecting what team a guy goes to. Right now things are too fluid to say Player X will be picked by Team Y at pick Number Z and put any real value to it. But I do think the raw order they're placing them in gives some sort of clue into how these guys are valued. And of course these are just journalists not NBA front office reps publishing these.

Also, idk if it's really what the guys on here are "seeing". Everything here is just reaction to all these major publications giving top 5 love to Isaac. And of course everyone will hype that up, we want to see our guy go top 5. It would be fantastic for the program to have that type of press from March to late June. 

My devil's advocate view for Minnesota picking him would center around their long term commitment with Malik Beasley.

I feel like Okoro is the idealized version of what they were going for with Culver and like out of Okogie. Getting him would give them a pretty good defensive 2-3, maybe they embrace that to lessen the damage DLo will bring with his defense. Just me trying to guess what Bleacher Report was going for

57 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why do you say there aren't any superstars?

Said there are no "for sure" superstars. I'm not going to sit here and pretend i know how these guys are going to turn out at the next level. Edwards could be the next Lebron James or he could turn out like the vast majority of folks who get drafted every year (just another NBA player to out of the league quick). But the 2 top projected picks are Edwards and Wiseman right? Well Wiseman played maybe 5 college games so not sure thing there. Edwards has been impressive to me but I don't know that he is going to walk into a the NBA and change a team like Morant or Zion or Durant or Lebron......etc. He might but he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire at uga...from what i have heard he is a good kid that is willing to work hard and imo that is the most important trait that separates the talented players. Are they willing to continue working once they hit the NBA or do they say "Ah i made it i can relax now". I'm not saying these other top guys will do that once they make the big bucks but i feel VERY confident Okoro will not be that guy. Regardless of what team he goes to he will work hard to make that team better. And that mindset to his skill set and you have a guy I want on my team. 

I would've said the Hawks needed a center before the recent moves they've made, right now I dont think theres any position they NEED per se, but the 2-3 spots seem like the ones they are intent on figuring out. Getting Okoro at least gives you a different look at the 3 (assuming they continue to run Reddish at the 2) 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would've said the Hawks needed a center before the recent moves they've made, right now I dont think theres any position they NEED per se, but the 2-3 spots seem like the ones they are intent on figuring out. Getting Okoro at least gives you a different look at the 3 (assuming they continue to run Reddish at the 2) 

I agree, the Hawks don't need anything if they believe in the gobs of lottery picks they've selected over the last few years. They just need to stay the course. Their PG, PF, and C positions are locked down. Huerter looks like he's going to be a starting 2. Reddish/Hunter would be whoever slides into the 3 spot. Maybe they like Reddish at 2 and bring Huerter off the bench because he can be a good secondary playmaker. But unless they're ready to give up on one or more of their young guys I'm not sure where there is even room for a need. Just my personal opinion but I like Reddish off the bench and giving him free reign over the 2nd unit and you keep Hunter who's going to be a good defender in the starting lineup to try to mitigate Trae and Huerter's defensive weaknesses. And just a disclaimer, I'm not a Hawks fan at all but I watch them on League Pass pretty often.

I guess they could package a few of the young guys and try to get a star in the same way the Pellies got a bunch of pieces for the Unibrow. That could open up some space for them. 

I would love a scenario where he stays and plays with Cooper/Green.

Now, in no way would I advise Okoro to do that.

Archived