All Things Isaac Okoro NBA Draft (Merged)

GwillMac6

20 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I would love a scenario where he stays and plays with Cooper/Green.

Now, in no way would I advise Okoro to do that.

We might as well not even mention it anymore tbh it will only set people up for disappointment. I'd say there's a less than 1% chance it happens as things stand today and that's being generous I'd say

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We might as well not even mention it anymore tbh it will only set people up for disappointment. I'd say there's a less than 1% chance it happens as things stand today and that's being generous I'd say

Agreed, it's exciting we're becoming a program where 1-and-done is going to become more and more common.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Your last paragraph is correct but IMO it feels like you're overlooking the part of your assessment that is actually in line for both ATL and Minnesota - - both have their cores in place already. Neither would be picking an Okoro type to build around. They already have the players there that they want to move forward with. They'd pick him as a piece like you said. ATL has all those teenagers they're trying to feel out and probably have a good idea what their starting 5 will look like in 2 years (unless they have plans to trade them for an established stud). Minny has their main duo for the next 5 years plus Culver and Okogie both who are good wing defenders and added Malik Beasley too at the deadline. They prob need a PF realistically but I think bc they're currently slotted at around 5 and Okoro is being mocked in that area they put him there. JMO 

But I've always maintained that these mocks are guessing where on the board/in order they will likely go. The destination can largely be ignored right now because the lottery will dictate that the first 14 picks will look almost nothing like the order they're showing them in these mocks. JMO anyway. And of course once the lottery happens and the order becomes solidified then the mocks will have a little more value in terms of projecting what team a guy goes to. Right now things are too fluid to say Player X will be picked by Team Y at pick Number Z and put any real value to it. But I do think the raw order they're placing them in gives some sort of clue into how these guys are valued. And of course these are just journalists not NBA front office reps publishing these.

Also, idk if it's really what the guys on here are "seeing". Everything here is just reaction to all these major publications giving top 5 love to Isaac. And of course everyone will hype that up, we want to see our guy go top 5. It would be fantastic for the program to have that type of press from March to late June. 

Well Minnesota don't have a core they are still looking for a player that can generate points on the perimeter, ATL just used two lottery picks on the EXACT thing Okoro brings to the table. If they used another top 5 pick on a 3 that isn't a good scorer their front office is pathetic. Who has Minn duo? Minn was stupid to let Levine go. 

But actually I guess since those two teams are so horrible at building teams maybe they will draft Okoro.  It would be dumb though. A team drafting Okoro over Wiseman would be questionable. Like I said Okoro is like the 3rd best at his position going top 5 is really wishing.

I get the super fan stuff but it's lame to be close minded and not even want to discuss reality because of homerism.....I don't think that's really a word. 

Your second paragraph is echoing what I've originally stated on this thread, but I was just trying to offer a little more clarity or logic with how the draft work.....it's not what wants to be heard right now I guess

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

Said there are no "for sure" superstars. I'm not going to sit here and pretend i know how these guys are going to turn out at the next level. Edwards could be the next Lebron James or he could turn out like the vast majority of folks who get drafted every year (just another NBA player to out of the league quick). But the 2 top projected picks are Edwards and Wiseman right? Well Wiseman played maybe 5 college games so not sure thing there. Edwards has been impressive to me but I don't know that he is going to walk into a the NBA and change a team like Morant or Zion or Durant or Lebron......etc. He might but he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire at uga...from what i have heard he is a good kid that is willing to work hard and imo that is the most important trait that separates the talented players. Are they willing to continue working once they hit the NBA or do they say "Ah i made it i can relax now". I'm not saying these other top guys will do that once they make the big bucks but i feel VERY confident Okoro will not be that guy. Regardless of what team he goes to he will work hard to make that team better. And that mindset to his skill set and you have a guy I want on my team. 

I gotcha, I see what you're saying

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well Minnesota don't have a core they are still looking for a player that can generate points on the perimeter, ATL just used two lottery picks on the EXACT thing Okoro brings to the table. If they used another top 5 pick on a 3 that isn't a good scorer their front office is pathetic. Who has Minn duo? Minn was stupid to let Levine go. 

Minnesota just acquired Deangelo Russell and they have KAT. In the era of dynamic duos, that's going to be their core for the next 5 years or so along with Culver and Okogie (and maybe Beasley who will be up for a qualifying offer from Minny after this season. Also, DLo checks off the perimeter scoring you mentioned. If they don't keep Beasley there is definitely space in the rotation for another wing there. He's starting for them right now.

Yup ATL just used 2 picks on wings -- but like I said we gotta stop looking at the destination and more at what position the guys are listed at in mocks. He's hovering around 3-5 right now it just so happens ATL is in that area, but it's highly unlikely they use a 3rd lotto pick in a row on a wing player, even though, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they don't really have any pressing needs because as it stands now they're just developing guys instead of trying to win now.

But actually I guess since those two teams are so horrible at building teams maybe they will draft Okoro.  It would be dumb though. A team drafting Okoro over Wiseman would be questionable. Like I said Okoro is like the 3rd best at his position going top 5 is really wishing.

I personally think it's probably unlikely, but possible, for him to actually go top 3 but I could see him going anywhere from 4 to 10 depending on who's picking. He's probably the best perimeter defender in the draft and that's what is keeping his mock position so high.

Your second paragraph is echoing what I've originally stated on this thread, but I was just trying to offer a little more clarity or logic with how the draft work.....it's not what wants to be heard right now I guess

I don't get how this is what you were stating when your post led off with "ATL and Minnesota would be idiots if they took Okoro with their first picks". You're talking about specific teams which is the opposite of what I was saying in my second paragraph. Unless I missed that part earlier. But dude what are ya expecting on here if you come in here guns blazing with "this team would be idiotic to draft Okoro". Lol change that tone up to relay the same message and it'll be a lot more palatable. It sounds like you're slandering Okoro by saying something like that even if that's not your intent that's what it comes across as. So, IMO, it's not about not wanting to hear it but more how the message is being relayed. And I say that with respect, as always, sir.

On 2/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, gravejd said:

Said there are no "for sure" superstars. I'm not going to sit here and pretend i know how these guys are going to turn out at the next level. 

I will say that you said a mouthful right there. Michael Jordan, one of the best if not the best NBA players of all time, was the third pick in the 1984 draft. But no one, and I mean no one expected him to come into the league from North Carolina and dominate like he did. Not saying Okoro is the next MJ or anything like that. But I am agreeing with you wholeheartedly that folks pretending to know how players will turn out at the next level are wrong as least as often as they are right.  Me? I expect Okoro to be a good, solid player at the next level. He has a huge upside. He may or may not reach the elite level. But then again, he may.  Sure as heck seems as if the folks projecting the draft think he's a potential lottery pick...

On 2/19/2020 at 2:02 PM, Tiger said:

I think even coach Bruce Pearl will advise Okoro to enter the draft and get the money that comes with being a high first round pick. Okoro is one and done barring serious injury that puts his future in doubt and no one with the least bit of sense wants that.  And how nice is it that Pearl has AU to the point that the program can attract "one and done" level talent? 

War Eagle!

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I expect Okoro to be a good, solid player at the next level. He has a huge upside. He may or may not reach the elite level. But then again, he may.  Sure as heck seems as if the folks projecting the draft think he's a potential lottery pick...

His upside is definitely his potential on offense and my limited experience watching NBA has shown that most players who have a superb skillset can develop a dominate offense game as their talent catches up with other NBA players. I use Kawhi as an example. Was already known as a lock down defender coming out of college, but Pop basically had to force him to take over games offensively until Kawhi realized just how dang good he was! 

Actually, now that I think about it, Isaac's meekness on offense does remind me much of early Kawhi at the Spurs... (not that I am in ANY way making a Kawhi / Okoro comparison...yet?)

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I will say that you said a mouthful right there. Michael Jordan, one of the best if not the best NBA players of all time, was the third pick in the 1984 draft. But no one, and I mean no one expected him to come into the league from North Carolina and dominate like he did. Not saying Okoro is the next MJ or anything like that. But I am agreeing with you wholeheartedly that folks pretending to know how players will turn out at the next level are wrong as least as often as they are right.  Me? I expect Okoro to be a good, solid player at the next level. He has a huge upside. He may or may not reach the elite level. But then again, he may.  Sure as heck seems as if the folks projecting the draft think he's a potential lottery pick...

Nobody didn't think Jordan could dominate? I can get that nobody may have expected him to be Michael Jordan good but judging from his play in college I would've thought he was going to be good. Some stuff just stand out....like Ja Morant. When I saw him play us and Alabama i said then he'd be good. When I saw Memphis had the second pick in the draft i said he'd be rookie of the year. 

Sometimes you can just see it clear as day

On 2/20/2020 at 11:11 AM, Tiger said:

Minnesota just acquired Deangelo Russell and they have KAT. In the era of dynamic duos, that's going to be their core for the next 5 years or so along with Culver and Okogie (and maybe Beasley who will be up for a qualifying offer from Minny after this season. Also, DLo checks off the perimeter scoring you mentioned. If they don't keep Beasley there is definitely space in the rotation for another wing there. He's starting for them right now.

Yup ATL just used 2 picks on wings -- but like I said we gotta stop looking at the destination and more at what position the guys are listed at in mocks. He's hovering around 3-5 right now it just so happens ATL is in that area, but it's highly unlikely they use a 3rd lotto pick in a row on a wing player, even though, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they don't really have any pressing needs because as it stands now they're just developing guys instead of trying to win now.

I personally think it's probably unlikely, but possible, for him to actually go top 3 but I could see him going anywhere from 4 to 10 depending on who's picking. He's probably the best perimeter defender in the draft and that's what is keeping his mock position so high.

I don't get how this is what you were stating when your post led off with "ATL and Minnesota would be idiots if they took Okoro with their first picks". You're talking about specific teams which is the opposite of what I was saying in my second paragraph. Unless I missed that part earlier. But dude what are ya expecting on here if you come in here guns blazing with "this team would be idiotic to draft Okoro". Lol change that tone up to relay the same message and it'll be a lot more palatable. It sounds like you're slandering Okoro by saying something like that even if that's not your intent that's what it comes across as. So, IMO, it's not about not wanting to hear it but more how the message is being relayed. And I say that with respect, as always, sir.

I don't see how any of this makes sense but maybe it's me, I'm going to read it again to see I'm comprehending your post right

On 2/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, cole256 said:

Nobody didn't think Jordan could dominate? I can get that nobody may have expected him to be Michael Jordan good...

That was my point really. Anyone expecting Jordan to be "Michael Jordan good" would have been expecting him to be one of the greatest players in NBA history. I know of no one that predicted that.

• 4 weeks later...

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn forward Isaac Okoro will test the NBA waters and a jump to the NBA Draft is likely.

Okoro has entered his name to test the NBA waters, but with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) spreading across the country and postponing sporting events, it's not clear if the NBA Draft will continue as planned in the summer. Even so, if Okoro goes through the process and learns he will be a lottery pick as many expect, Auburn coach Bruce Pearl says he will advise the freshman to leave Auburn and leave his name in the draft.

Okoro averaged 12.9 points and 4.4 rebounds per game at Auburn.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburns-Bruce-Pearl-gives-his-take-on-Isaac-Okoros-prospects-for-the-2020-NBA-Draft-145238838/

AUBURN, Alabama--With the exception of his five seniors and potential lottery draft pick Isaac Okoro, Coach Bruce Pearl said he expects other members of his 2019-20 Auburn basketball team to return next season.

Multiple NBA Draft projections have forecast that Okoro has a chance to be selected early in the first round of the NBA Draft. If that continues to be the case as the draft draws nearer, the expectation is that Okoro would be a one-and-down college player.

“With this draft not being as deep as next year’s draft is going to be, I think it makes sense for him to absolutely become draft eligible, which he is going to do and then go through the process,” Pearl said on Friday

“If the information comes back and confirms the information we have right now that he is indeed going to be a lottery pick, then he needs to stay in the draft,” Pearl said. “Right now, I know he is going to make himself eligible, but the decisions about the future are still pending.”

Okoro earned Freshman All-SEC honors for the Tigers and was also named to the league’s All-Defensive Team as well as the All-SEC Second Team.

Pearl gives his take on Okoro's status for the 2020 NBA Draft

ByMARK MURPHY 

AUBURN, Alabama--With the exception of his five seniors and potential lottery draft pick Isaac Okoro, Coach Bruce Pearl said he expects other members of his 2019-20 Auburn basketball team to return next season.

Multiple NBA Draft projections have forecast that Okoro has a chance to be selected early in the first round of the NBA Draft. If that continues to be the case as the draft draws nearer, the expectation is that Okoro would be a one-and-down college player.

“With this draft not being as deep as next year’s draft is going to be, I think it makes sense for him to absolutely become draft eligible, which he is going to do and then go through the process,” Pearl said on Friday.

“If the information comes back and confirms the information we have right now that he is indeed going to be a lottery pick, then he needs to stay in the draft,” Pearl said. “Right now, I know he is going to make himself eligible, but the decisions about the future are still pending.”

Okoro earned Freshman All-SEC honors for the Tigers and was also named to the league’s All-Defensive Team as well as the All-SEC Second Team.

“We talked about the NBA during the recruiting process,” Pearl said of his interactions with Okoro, a player the head coach said performed more like a senior than a freshman for the Tigers, who finished 25-6.

“I think most people, most experts, would have probably thought that it was going to take him a couple of years before he would be in a position where he would be ready or in a position to be drafted,” the coach said. “We didn’t spend a lot of time talking about it because that is just not who he is.

Pearl gives his take on Okoro's status for the 2020 NBA Draft

ByMARK MURPHY 

“With this draft not being as deep as next year’s draft is going to be, I think it makes sense for him to absolutely become draft eligible, which he is going to do and then go through the process,” Pearl said on Friday.

“We talked about the NBA during the recruiting process,” Pearl said of his interactions with Okoro, a player the head coach said performed more like a senior than a freshman for the Tigers, who finished 25-6.

“I think most people, most experts, would have probably thought that it was going to take him a couple of years before he would be in a position where he would be ready or in a position to be drafted,” the coach said. “We didn’t spend a lot of time talking about it because that is just not who he is.

“Isaac enjoys Auburn,” Pearl added. “When it was time to go home he went to see his family, but he came back. He enjoys being here. He enjoys school. He enjoys his teammates, his coaches, the training.”

Okoro was a regular in the starting lineup with seniors Austin Wiley, Samir Doughty, Danjel Purifoy and J’Von McCormick except when he was sidelined by a hamstring injury that forced him to miss three games.

The Tigers will also have to replace senior Anfernee McLemore and very likely Okoro. Asked about the other players, Pearl said, “I think it would be our anticipation that everybody with eligibility would return."

Good for him! He's doing himself a favor by going in this year's draft, as deep as next year's draft appears to be.

9 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Bruce could possibly turn me back into an NBA fan sending all these guys to the league. 

Agreed.  I am curious to see which next Auburn star becomes a household name in NBA like Charles did. 

Potentially our first one and done- about dang time!! We win either way and it’s another feather in the cap of our rockstar coach Bruuuuuuuuuuce! :) 

Wish him the best....don't know him, but he seems like a person that has a strong foundation and great family support...it was a joy to watch him  this past season; would like for ever recruit coming in perform like him on and off the court...

https://twitter.com/jackfrank_jjf/status/1241829762827292672

This page has a few different clips giving bite sized thoughts about Okoro's game. This specific one mentions his great slashing, which should be very appealing with the spacing of some of the lottery teams this year 

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting comparison bc people were asking, basically up until this season, "Can Jaylen Brown dribble"

And that's the same thing Okoro was facing coming into this season. I could only hope Isaac would land at a spot that could build his offense up the way Stevens has done for Jaylen

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29008159/nba-mock-draft-most-likely-picks-best-fits-latest-intel

still has Okoro at 3 to the hawks but had a blurb from the Spurs write-up about how he’d be a great fit there. I’d love for him to be coached by Popp or Stevens and never play for the trashy hawks. 

On 4/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, GwillMac6 said:

So Isaac is 6'7 now? He was listed as 6'5 as a recruit and 6'6 at Auburn. I suppose it's possible he could have grown each time, and if those are the measurements from the combine, then I kinda gotta believe it's right, but I'd thought all year that 6'6 was a stretch.

Spurs are washed to me, I havent seen "elite talent IQ" or great dev in a while. I think the way ATL has helped guys offensively, I think that's going to do a lot more for him

Plus, selfishly, I dont have to watch 35 long 2s every game just to watch Okoro if he doesnt go to the Spurs. Its time for Pop to hang it up

On 4/9/2020 at 10:15 AM, Rednilla said:

So Isaac is 6'7 now? He was listed as 6'5 as a recruit and 6'6 at Auburn. I suppose it's possible he could have grown each time, and if those are the measurements from the combine, then I kinda gotta believe it's right, but I'd thought all year that 6'6 was a stretch.

Well, those are Browns official measurements from the ‘16 combine but the ‘20 hasn’t happened yet and probably won’t. He’s not 6’7. 

Archived