Minnesota Post-Game Thread

AUDynasty

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You are arguing with a guy in 64 who constantly shades Bruce and obsessively defends Gus. He is a lost cause and hopeless.

Oh, I know. I usually just try to roll my eyes, and pass over it.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Someone implied that Gus would play a less talented QB because of  favoritism ….do you buy that?   I don't. 

Maybe favoritism? Maybe continuity? Loyalty to whatever is already established? Could be any number of reasons. But you can book this: no qb on earth will supplant Nix in this offense under Gus for any reason other than injury. Could be a good thing? Bad? Can't know right now, Nix might be a Heisman runner down the road for all we know. But Gus has every bit of his laughable remaining professional clout invested in Nix as a future factor. When he said 1,000 times "true fresh", he was framing the season as project. Now he's trenched in to his own bullshittery.  I'm sorry you love Gus so much but are not convinced about Bo Nix. That's actually hilarious to me. But you can't have one without the other. Not now you can't. Nix is a lock.

Anybody that blames that putrid offensive performance on Bo Nix knows absolutely nothing about football. There, I said it. 

Years ago I watched one of the greatest QB's I ever saw lose game after game for the New Orleans Saints because he had no running game, and an offensive line that left him running for his life most of the time. That QB was Archie Manning, but I'm sure if there was an internet back then some idiot would have blamed all those losses on Archie.

Question for Auburn fans:

I'm a Gopher fan currently living in Iowa (grew up in MN and came back for a few years after college before meeting my wife, who is from IA).  Anyway, Fleck's "Row the Boat" mantra is the butt of many jokes in the Big 10, especially with Iowa and Wisconsin fans.  I went to the Gopher Hawkeye game this year in Iowa City with some Hawkeye fans.  They were amazed a school like Minnesota would agree to hire Fleck knowing Row the Boat would be everywhere Gopher football was (uniforms, social media, recruiting, etc.).  I asked them "If Fleck turns the Gophers into perennial Big 10 contenders, you think a place like Auburn would take him if they had to take Row the Boat along with it?" They laughed at the notion.

Ironically, Gophers play Auburn in the bowl game, I came here to see what Auburn fans take on the game was, and there seems to be a sentiment that "In Gus we do not trust."  Would you take PJ and Row the Boat, or look somewhere else that wouldn't try to make Row the Boat a centerpiece of your football brand?

Just now, B Fed said:

I'm a Gopher fan currently living in Iowa (grew up in MN and came back for a few years after college before meeting my wife, who is from IA).  Anyway, Fleck's "Row the Boat" mantra is the butt of many jokes in the Big 10, especially with Iowa and Wisconsin fans.  I went to the Gopher Hawkeye game this year in Iowa City with some Hawkeye fans.  They were amazed a school like Minnesota would agree to hire Fleck knowing Row the Boat would be everywhere Gopher football was (uniforms, social media, recruiting, etc.).  I asked them "If Fleck turns the Gophers into perennial Big 10 contenders, you think a place like Auburn would take him if they had to take Row the Boat along with it?" They laughed at the notion.

Ironically, Gophers play Auburn in the bowl game, I came here to see what Auburn fans take on the game was, and there seems to be a sentiment that "In Gus we do not trust."  Would you take PJ and Row the Boat, or look somewhere else that wouldn't try to make Row the Boat a centerpiece of your football brand?

Yes 99% of this board would take Fleck over GUS yesterday. Imagine what He could do with the talent we have down here.

57 minutes ago, around4ever said:

When we started with three straight screens to Schwartz, I thought that when the defense moved the corner or safety up that a stop and go by Schwartz was being set up.  Nope.  We never saw it.  Missed opportunity for a game breaker. 

"Take what the defense gives you" a basic tenement universally understood by all of the other 129 fbs coaches. Lol. But hell no, not our guy!

4 minutes ago, B Fed said:

Better than "Gus Bus"...which realistically resembles more of a Volkswagen "Thing" instead of an actual bus.

4 minutes ago, B Fed said:

Gus once said we only  needed to be 13 seconds better than the season before and then proceeded to lose 5 games.  We're used to coaches saying dumb things.

As to taking Fleck, absolutely.  Y'all are lucky to have him.

5 minutes ago, B Fed said:

Row the boat? I'd take Fleck if his mantra was " Tiptoe Through the Tulips."

7 minutes ago, B Fed said:

If Fleck came to Auburn, he could row the boat, fly the plane, drive the car, pedal the bike, steer the ship, chug the train, or freaking fly the kite....if he could have Auburn playing solid football like he has you guys playing I wouldn’t care what he called it.

7 minutes ago, B Fed said:

I would take P.J. Fleck in a heart beat over Gus.  He has a personality that is honest and genuine.  He is a lot like Dabo Sweeney from Clemson and is about to be a success in his current position.  You don’t find that combination in a coach very often as he relates to 18-22 year olds and makes them believe in themselves. 

My biggest worry if I were a Gopher fan is can I keep him in a year or two. Gus is always on the hot seat and I hope we come calling then.  Row the Boat

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would take P.J. Fleck in a heart beat over Gus.  He has a personality that is honest and genuine.  He is a lot like Dabo Sweeney from Clemson and is about to be a success in his current position.  You don’t find that combination in a coach very often as he relates to 18-22 year olds and makes them believe in themselves. 

My biggest worry if I were a Gopher fan is can I keep him in a year or two. Gus is always on the hot seat and I hope we come calling then.  Row the Boat

I would hope he would be our first call, but it just is not the Auburn thing to do. They'll hire someone who's mother's, brothers cousin coached at Auburn, or somewhere in the SEC. Never in my lifetime have we hired who I wanted for a football coach. At least since Dye left. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

We are definitely worried about that.  He just signed an extension through 2026 before the Penn St. game (for whatever that is worth).  IMO, better to have a great coach for 5 years than a mediocre one for 20.  I don't know if we're happier that we got Fleck or Tanner Morgan came to Minnesota with him sight unseen.

17 minutes ago, B Fed said:

I came here to see what Auburn fans take on the game was, and there seems to be a sentiment that "In Gus we do not trust."  Would you take PJ and Row the Boat, or look somewhere else that wouldn't try to make Row the Boat a centerpiece of your football brand?

My take is Fleck & his staff were much better prepared and out coached AU´s coaches in practically every aspect of the game. And that is no surprise to us AU fans because we have seen the same thing happen over and over with Malzahn. 

I don´t care what Fleck´s motto or mantra is, if you win 10 games at MN you are gold, IMO. And I think you will be hard-pressed to find many AU fans who wouldn´t take Fleck over Malzahn. We have seen him out coached like he was today one too many times. A lot of us were praying Gus would go back to Arky, where he is from.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the dumbest logic I ever heard. So not only are you a hypocrite, but now you are putting the onus of the offense on the shoulders of a true freshman QB, instead of the guy who gets paid millions of dollars to find out how to make it work. So, now, you suggest we should get some random from Wake Forest as a grad transfer? Yet, we had a guy perfect for Gus's offense waiting in the background to play. You have loss all perspective at this point.

The guy waiting  in the background bailed out.....was not willing to wait....and probably was not as good as BN or he would have been playing.....or do you think Gus played his second best QB?  :dunno:

Meanwhile, the guy at Wake is not "some random"......he's a 6'-4 230 pound solid DT and IMO could have started  at AU...

And I'm hoping that BN will show a lot of improvement between seasons.... and looks like the job for helping that happen belongs to Chad Morris. 

As for Gus....you are mischaracterizing my view .....if he got fired tomorrow I would basically say "ho hum" and hope we find a good replacement.   I've just said that I have doubts about that but it's not my call.  Don't get all puffed up at me just because we don't agree.    If you want Gus fired....start a campaign and convince the AD that it needs to be done.  He has the authority and as you and others have claimed , there is money out there to pay the buyout.   All I have is opinions on the matter......so disagree if you wish but get off your high horse.  

30 minutes ago, B Fed said:

Speaking for myself, the reason behind "Row the Boat" is one of the most endearing things about Coach Fleck. And the reason so many of us are unhappy is that we have repeatedly seen what we have after 7 years and are willing to take a chance on "another brand." 

6 minutes ago, B Fed said:

We are definitely worried about that.  He just signed an extension through 2026 before the Penn St. game (for whatever that is worth).  IMO, better to have a great coach for 5 years than a mediocre one for 20.  I don't know if we're happier that we got Fleck or Tanner Morgan came to Minnesota with him sight unseen.

Tanner Morgan is a gamer, he threw that first interception and he and his coach still believed in him enough to whittle our defense up during the game.  Kudos to Fleck to see the potential in Morgan.  I’d take a great coach for 5 years by the way.

37 minutes ago, B Fed said:

Would you take PJ and Row the Boat, or look somewhere else that wouldn't try to make Row the Boat a centerpiece of your football brand?

In a heartbeat, and 7 years ago. No question. Now would our BoT and PTB do it? Hell no, JABA!

36 minutes ago, B Fed said:

That motto would be endlessly ridiculed by our southern rivals, it works in the Midwestern area but no way works down here. I think he’s a great coach, but cheesy sayings will not work in SEC territory. 

43 minutes ago, B Fed said:

I don't think the boat thing would be an issue mainly because it's now a Gopher thing. 

Bringing it to Auburn would seem forced and changing it to a plane thing or a car thing would seem forced.   

Similarly, I don't think our own lazy and insipid 'Gus Bus' term will be a thing when Gus is finally run out of town.   

Fleck is a great coach and the Gophers should do everything they can to keep him.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I saw that a couple of hours ago on Twitter too.  That didn't take long.  I've seen him as a top 3 pick in some mocks I've seen.  Best of luck to him.

1 hour ago, B Fed said:

Is Row the Boat any better than “Auburn Fast”, “Earn It”, “ It’s a New Day”, “Bring It”, “Gus Bus”, “Ride for the Brand” or any of our annual HYPE videos?

Mottos are an Auburn thang, and if this Administration had the balls to get “Row the Boat”, I’d buy every oar in three states to outfit the AU fans.

I would love Fleck, he put the Gophers on the map with that domination today.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Glad Brown went for a quality agent, not surprised as he's a very sharp guy. It's always kinda strange to see players leave the stadium after their final game often times with their agent. Kinda sinks in that it's all over at AU.

36 minutes ago, rophle said:

That motto would be endlessly ridiculed by our southern rivals, it works in the Midwestern area but no way works down here. I think he’s a great coach, but cheesy sayings will not work in SEC territory. 

Results sure will, though. 

Archived