Minnesota Post-Game Thread

AUDynasty

13 minutes ago, rophle said:

Nah, that’s just your opinion, bud; a true fan would never want their team to lose to a rival. 

The irony here is riiiiiiiiiiich.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rophle said:

If you watched the Iron Bowl and got more upset because of the possibility of keeping the coach instead of being excited for the players then you’re not a true fan of the team and program. 

You should pick an NFL team to pull for and hope they tank all their games so that they can always get the #1 draft pick. 

Good thing you weren't hired to be the official fan designator, people would be in trouble then! 

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

woohoo, look at the thumbs down you got for that.

I think it's hilarious that on this forum the guy who says he actively rooted for Bama to beat AU in the IB gets thumbs up, and the guy who points out that's not the actions of an Auburn fan gets down voted. :lol: 

@AUsince72 Although you do have a point I also think Mims does as well and I think we can agree Mims44 is pretty even-keel on this forum.  72, if you recall a few months ago I had a conversation with a poster on here when he challenged me saying that no one flat out roots for Auburn to lose.  You stepped in at that time.  This is a good example of how some people actually do in fact do this and others will not say it, but will defend those statements.  No matter what, you should always cheer for Auburn to win.  After the season if changes need to be made, than so be it.  But going into a game wearing orange and blue cheering for Alabama to beat Auburn is never something hat should be supported in any sport.

If after watching yesterday’s game and you are a fan of CGM or actually CGM and reading this forum, give up the offense!!! The offense was horrible and the defense was not any better.   Ask anyone that has watched this team all year, what is the weakest part of team?   It’s the interior offensive lineman!!!!!   Guard - Center- Guard.   Where are most of the runs?   Up the middle!!! It’s mind blowing that a man can be paid 7 million dollars a year and yet does not see this.   Stop the insanity GUS, give up the offense 

Why won’t Gus let us have nice things?  
coaches got out coached

players got out played.

Minnesota wanted it more than Auburn.

bring on Alcorn State

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@AUsince72 Although you do have a point I also think Mims does as well and I think we can agree Mims44 is pretty even-keel on this forum.  72, if you recall a few months ago I had a conversation with a poster on here when he challenged me saying that no one flat out roots for Auburn to lose.  You stepped in at that time.  This is a good example of how some people actually do in fact do this and others will not say it, but will defend those statements.  No matter what, you should always cheer for Auburn to win.  After the season if changes need to be made, than so be it.  But going into a game wearing orange and blue cheering for Alabama to beat Auburn is never something hat should be supported in any sport.

First no we can't agree that about mimms, he's a horrible poster. Second is even though a person was wanting a loss that person is still looking out for the best interest of Auburn, he just understands how we have a big portion of our fan base that are content with a win here and there and another part of our fan base that doesn't look at circumstances and will always find a way to say everything is ok. And it's not made up, we have watched the last two seasons of that exact scenario happen. He can't have any faith that after the season if changes need to be made then so be it. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

First no we can't agree that about mimms, he's a horrible poster. Second is even though a person was wanting a loss that person is still looking out for the best interest of Auburn, he just understands how we have a big portion of our fan base that are content with a win here and there and another part of our fan base that doesn't look at circumstances and will always find a way to say everything is ok. And it's not made up, we have watched the last two seasons of that exact scenario happen. He can't have any faith that after the season if changes need to be made then so be it. 

You don't like Mims?  I never had an issue with him.  I always thought you liked him.

I understand their reasoning for saying that, but you should still never cheer on your favorite team to lose.  So it isn't that I do not see why they think that.  It is more like, if you wanted Auburn to lose so badly this season, why even watch any of our games this season in the first place?  Why even put on an Auburn shirt the day of the Iron Bowl?

I know you are a basketball guy and you know I am an avid OKC fan.  I am not rooting for the Thunder to tank this season so we can get a really awesome draft pick.  Every game I cheer for them to win no matter what.  Good times and bad, I will always be there cheering for all of my teams.

44 minutes ago, rophle said:

If you watched the Iron Bowl and got more upset because of the possibility of keeping the coach instead of being excited for the players then you’re not a true fan of the team and program. 

You should pick an NFL team to pull for and hope they tank all their games so that they can always get the #1 draft pick. 

If you watched the 4+ losses each of the last 6 years and blame the 18-22 year old kids instead of the $49M grown man responsible for fielding an SEC Championship team then your definitely one of the self anointed Real Fans of AUFamily.  I see king mikey approves of your message.  That alone should cause you pause.

2 minutes ago, rophle said:

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Good thing you weren't hired to be the official fan designator, people would be in trouble then! 

I have to agree though. This isn't the NFL... In college there is no mutual interest in parity. You don't get consolations for doing poorly, so it makes no sense to wish ill on your own team.

We assume that any schmuck can be given the play sheet and win 8 games a year with our talent, sure... But we are not in the position to where firing Malzahn is a guaranteed improvement (much to even my own disapproval).

This isn't "conceding the battle to win the war". You don't play that game when there is even an ounce of uncertainty. Maybe if Auburn had the big money booster like a Texas A&M, then sure, go get us a proven winner, but we're not getting PJ Fleck or Matt Rhule or Matt Campbell or Urban Myer or James Franklin or any of these other fantasies.

I am frustrated as hell, but I will still choose to stick by my team even in a crappy situation and hope for the best. You can call it being content with mediocrity, but frankly my dear... I don't give a damn. I'm being the realist, and the reality is we're stuck with Gus. Yes he is stubborn (as all good coaches are) but he has produced about as many great things for Auburn as he has dumb things.

The history of college football is rife with good teams willing bad coaches to victory. Until Auburn stops being competitive under Malzahn I have no reason not to pull for them.

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep, some of you would lose your membership card pretty quick. 

43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is your position and I respect that.

However, I have no problem with critical thinking and not being an O&B sheep and supporting the failure at HC.

Those hoping for a change ARE supporting AU and the players.  It's strategy & tactics.  Do we PULL for Auburn to lose?  No.  Do we know what next year holds in store because nobody in power has the brains (or guts) to do what's best for the program?  Actually, I'm going to say "yes", because we're witnessing it yet again, for the 6th year in a row....

And then you got guys like 64 who will lay ZERO blame at the feet of the $7M PER YEAR HC but wants to cut bait with the 18-19 yr old True Freshman because he's "lost confidence" in him.  But he LOVES him some Gus!

Im sorry my friend, but your buddies who are self-proclaimed "real fans" are not any better than those who might feel in order for Auburn to move forward successfully, the band-aid needs to be ripped off.  There's no supergroup here.

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

But not surprised? I'm not

I honestly was. It was the defensive performance, or lack thereof, that surprised me. The embarrassment on offense was much less surprising. 

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If you watched the 4+ losses each of the last 6 years and blame the 18-22 year old kids instead of the $49M grown man responsible for fielding an SEC Championship team then your definitely one of the self anointed Real Fans of AUFamily.  I see king mikey approves of your message.  That alone should cause you pause.

Who blamed the 18-22 year old kids?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, it definitely is. To think there is some narrowly defined set of rules for being a true fan is super duper ignorant. Feel free to disagree with the stance all you want, but the "not a true fan" thing is logically unsound (in addition to being a particularly unflattering form of self-righteous indignation). 

Out of...absolutely...waiting for Francis and PeeWee to come out soon. 

If that view is the standard bearer, these convos are going to have to become increasingly ignored in 2020. In other words, this "superfan" mindset doesn't get to define "true fan." The medical analogy is perfect. Are we so low on hope we've sunk to idolizing the Bandaid?

31 minutes ago, rophle said:

Who blamed the 18-22 year old kids?

Ah, being obtuse I see.

So far, 64 has blamed Nix for this game and your buddy Mikey blames the defense for every loss.

Now we've got the Superfans who blame US for the loss because we didn't cheer hard enough and sent bad karma to the team cuz we should be bammers or NFL fans.

#Anybody'sFaultButGus

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Ah, being obtuse I see.

So far, 64 has blamed Nix for this game and your buddy Mikey blames the defense for every loss.

Now we've got the Superfans who blame US for the loss because we didn't cheer hard enough and sent bad karma to the team cuz we should be bammers or NFL fans.

#AnybodyButGus

This is real fan argument is just a red herring. The problem is there are GUS FANS here who do not want to objectively criticize. 

Yesterday's drive chart:

4 plays, 6 yards - Field Goal

Kick Return TD 

5 plays, 14 yards - Punt

5 plays, 21 yards - Punt on 4th and 3 from MINN 47.

7 plays, 64 yards - Touchdown (Actually a decent drive)

2 plays, 0 yards - Halftime

3 plays, -1 yards - Punt

13 plays, 86 yards - Touchdown (best drive of the game)

7 plays, 29 yards - Turnover on Downs/Dumbass Fake Punt

3 plays, 4 yards - Punt

5 plays, 15 yards - Punt 

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Yesterday's drive chart:

4 plays, 6 yards - Field Goal

Kick Return TD 

5 plays, 14 yards - Punt

5 plays, 21 yards - Punt on 4th and 3 from MINN 47.

7 plays, 64 yards - Touchdown (Actually a decent drive)

2 plays, 0 yards - Halftime

3 plays, -1 yards - Punt

13 plays, 86 yards - Touchdown (best drive of the game)

7 plays, 29 yards - Turnover on Downs/Dumbass Fake Punt

3 plays, 4 yards - Punt

5 plays, 15 yards - Punt 

Very similar to the Mississippi State game last year. 

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

And then got guys like 64 who will lay ZERO blame at the feet of the $7M PER YEAR HC but wants to cut bait with the 18-19 yr old True Freshman because he's "lost confidence" in him.  But he LOVES him some Gus!

Im sorry my friend, but your buddies who are self-proclaimed "real fans" are not any better than those who might feel in order for Auburn to move forward successfully, the band-aid needs to be ripped off.  There's no supergroup here.

No worries.  I am not sure where the above had come from though as I have not defended posters like these and your reference above to rophle.  I thought Mims was pretty even keel, not supporting one side or the other but Cole is saying otherwise so I could be wrong.  My comment was only to people who cheer for Auburn to lose.  I am a Gus supporter, that is known.  I will support him until he is no longer our coach.  I do the same with all of our coaches unless something happens to where I want him out ASAP like Meyers in softball.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure why you find that funny. One guy has a very defensible position regarding what he thinks would be best for the football program long term vs what would feel good in the short term. These occasional IB wins can easily be viewed as a narcotic that only temporarily masks a chronic illness. They're a vacation, whereas this bowl game was the crappy 9 to 5 reality we eventually had to show back up to. 

The other guy played the "true Auburn fan" card which will always deserve every downvote it gets. It's an incredibly ignorant thing to say 100% of the time. 

I'd agree with that 99% of the time, but that is a weird way to define being a fan... hoping YOUR team loses.

Does that mean I'm a gigantic cowboys fan? Since I'd love to watch them go 0-16 a few years in a row.

I also believe Gus needs to go, and I've posted on here tons saying I don't believe he survives past the 2020 season, that being said... you aren't gonna find me buying a bammer jersey for the IB and rooting for AU to get stomped out.

17 hours ago, au701948 said:

I agree Minnesota played the better game..No Doubt about it. What I do not like, and for this you cannot blame the coaches, is our lack of luck of the draw in Bowl opponents.

In all due respect, it has nothing to do with luck. Minnesota has five 4 star players on their entire roster. We have forty 4 stars and three 5 stars. We are vastly more talented. We were playing with all of our starters. They were missing their best linebacker, best offensive lineman, and their OC/play-caller. Yes they won 10 games, but need fourth quarter comebacks to beat Fresno and South Dakota State.  Gus and our seniors spent 3 weeks running their mouths about how dialed in we were and how it was a business trip. Then we got out coached, out schemed, and physically whipped on both sides of the ball. Gus has the fastest player in college football and throw exactly ZERO deep balls to him. Great teams and great coaches handle their business and do not lose games they are supposed to handily win. Gus has made that an art. He cannot sustain momentum and needs to be fired. 

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No worries.  I am not sure where the above had come from though as I have not defended posters like these and your reference above to rophle.  I thought Mims was pretty even keel, not supporting one side or the other but Cole is saying otherwise so I could be wrong.  My comment was only to people who cheer for Auburn to lose.  I am a Gus supporter, that is known.  I will support him until he is no longer our coach.  I do the same with all of our coaches unless something happens to where I want him out ASAP like Meyers in softball.

And I have no problem with your posted position whether I agree or not.  Again, I just don't think those who consistently blame the players (and now even seem to blame us fans) but blindly support the $49M bust are any better than those they're talking down to.

Archived