Minnesota Post-Game Thread

AUDynasty

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Man, I got rid of instagram a couple years ago, and almost forgot about mcf. Making me crave some Chili's southwestern egg rolls right now. 

giphy.gif

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brad_ATX said:

We'll see.  It's the height of the whale migration.  Have a hotel room overlooking the water in Cannon Beach and hoping to see some wildlife.  Doing a few days in PDX too since we haven't been there before.

Goonies! And whales. Hell yeah.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We'll see.  It's the height of the whale migration.  Have a hotel room overlooking the water in Cannon Beach and hoping to see some wildlife.  Doing a few days in PDX too since we haven't been there before.

Check out Great Notion Brewing while in Portland too. If you can squander some away I’ll be happy to trade beer for beer or pay + shipping. 

De Garde should also be checked out if you’re into sours/lambics. 

@ShocksMyBrain @McLoofus @Barnacle

On the beer subject, I've gotten deep into Finback Brewery out of Queens.  In NY a bunch now and the bar across from our office there rotates taps a lot.  If you gents get the chance, hit it up, especially if you dig IPAs.  So good.  

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Check out Great Notion Brewing while in Portland too. If you can squander some away I’ll be happy to trade beer for beer or pay + shipping. 

De Garde should also be checked out if you’re into sours/lambics. 

Done!

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

On the beer subject, I've gotten deep into Finback Brewery out of Queens.  In NY a bunch now and the bar across from our office there rotates taps a lot.  If you gents get the chance, hit it up, especially if you dig IPAs.  So good.  

Nice. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Finback is getting a lot of hype lately. I would love to try it, but don’t find myself in NYC ever. 

Also, if mods want to merge this over to...

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I need a New York fix. Sadly, only Mrs Loof will be getting one anytime soon and she's not into ipas. 

49 minutes ago, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

I'm aware that winter there is nothing like what most down here have ever even imagined. But, at the same time its gotten to the point where I can barely stand to go outside for half the year because its so hot. At least further north you can actually enjoy the good times without feeling like you are roasting alive. 

The humidity sucks down here, a sweat shop 9 months out of the year.  Shorts and flip-flops on Christmas Day and I ran the A/C all freaking week last week.  Rain saturated everything today and it feels like a warm, damp swamp right now.

17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Finback is getting a lot of hype lately. I would love to try it, but don’t find myself in NYC ever. 

PM me sometime.  Will send you something.  I'm literally in NY a week a month.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I have no idea. My buddy is from Minnesota and told me they sell it there...sending him a text right now to confirm. 

Got an old coworker who moved up to Minneapolis. he occasionally makes the drive to get a NG fix. Has to drive it though. Can't get it outside the border of Wisconsin. 

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

I especially liked the folks from Minnefrickensota talked about how terrible the state of Alabama is.

Lol.  Alabama gots lakes too and you don't have to cut a hole to fish in em.

True but Minneapolis is really nice lol. Nothing in Alabama compares to that or the natural area of Minnesota. The same goes for Northern Michigan. Just my honest opinion.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Funny enough on the subject of New Glarus, the avatar for the beer club is a glass of spotted cow from my last trip up to Wisconsin lol. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

True but Minneapolis is really nice lol. Nothing in Alabama compares to that or the natural area of Minnesota. The same goes for Northern Michigan. Just my honest opinion.

Michigan is gorgeous. Last time I went up there, I rented a car and drove around to take in all the scenery, particularly the Old Mission Peninsula on the Grand Traverse Bay. So many vineyards. Gotta drag my wife up there. 

58 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Michigan is gorgeous. Last time I went up there, I rented a car and drove around to take in all the scenery, particularly the Old Mission Peninsula on the Grand Traverse Bay. So many vineyards. Gotta drag my wife up there. 

I lived in Traverse City for a summer and went to Lake Michigan almost every day. Also, Mackinac Island is amazing.

15 hours ago, AUDub said:

Lived in Michigan for four years and wouldn't hesitate to move back.  Beautiful place, nice people, and some amazing beer.

Wisconsin is pretty too. Strangely enough, I had the worst beer of my life while visiting there recently.  Lakefront Brewery IPA. 

Tasted like it was bottled straight from the harbor.  :blink:

18 hours ago, DAG said:

I lived in Chicago for 5 years.  Anywhere that snows is off my list of inhabitable space.

I'll stick with swamp ass over frozen eyeballs any day.

I’m a lifelong Minnesotan.  I like to tell the true story from my high school basketball playing days when I lived across the street from my high school.  On many occasions, my wet hair (from showering after practice) would be frozen solid after simply walking across the street, and I could generate a pretty good show of crunching sound when I’d grab my own hair with my hands during the walk home.

most Minnesotans don’t get too worked up about the cold weather.  It’s understandable it wouldn’t be the same for people that don’t grow up with it. There are big differences between weather and temps in the farming-centric Prairie-based southern part of the state compared to the lakes, pine trees, and wilderness in northern MN.  There are few states that offer such a wide range in climate, temps, and flora/fauna within their boarders.  The three prevailing weather systems of North America converge over MN and the resulting geography changes rapidly from SW MN to NE MN.

21 hours ago, The Freak said:

I especially liked the folks from Minnefrickensota talked about how terrible the state of Alabama is.

Lol.  Alabama gots lakes too and you don't have to cut a hole to fish in em.

Just a note on that.  It is a defense mechanism that flows out of a lot of fellow MN fans.  To understand why, there are a few realities that combine to create it.  The Gophers haven’t won the B1G since 1967 and the most recent of the seven national championships in football is, 1960.  Between 1967 and 2009, the University had not invested much in the program and it had declined.  The on campus stadium was torn down and the Gophers had to play second fiddle to the Vikings in the Metrodome for 30 years before a beautiful on-campus stadium was built in 2009.

During this exact time frame, we had to endure the rise of the football programs of our biggest rivals, Iowa and Wisconsin.  The Twin Cities are absolutely infested with alums from Iowa and Wisconsin too.  Home games against the rivals at the Metrodome were a mostly dreaded experience for MN fans as the building would fill up with drunkin’ trash talking opposing fans for those games.  The Gophers continued to struggle and offered little in the way of trash talking rebuttals material.  So, ripping on the states of Iowa or Wisconsin became backup material, since all those alums moved from there.

this mentality and fall back defense mechanism remains among some of the fan base:  “Your football team might be better right now, but surely your state is not.”  So, for the most part, if you encounter a MN fan ripping on Alabama - this defense mechanism is the likely origin rather than some yankee fueled bias (although it could certainly come across that way, and depending on the individual, even be rooted in that).

Archived