Morris Era Begins NOW

AUght2win

9 hours ago, AURealist said:

You have suspicions and opinions of your own and exactly zero evidence to support your claims that anyone but Gus wanted Chad Morris as on OC or HC.  Period.   

Neither of you have any evidence to support your claims, but I HIGHLY doubt no other options were available to Chad Morris. I've seen OCs with worse resumes get high level gigs.

As to the OP, here's what I think will happen: the offense will show flashes of brilliance next year, but Gus will again have the influence to disappoint us enough to where we want him fired, but not enough for us to actually be able to fire him.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AURealist said:

When I typed that, I was thinking promoting CKS would be the uttermost JABA move.  Leave it to a member of the Kevin Steele Posse to plumb the depths of absurdity for worse.  :D

CRL:  Hiring him would definitely be to buy into the 'he was here during the Gus Golden Years of an SEC Championship'.  If another SEC school made him HC, we'd laugh.

CKS:  We've been through this.  It's hard for even great DCs to succeed as HC anywhere and CKS is one of the many who didn't. He became world famous at UNLV while HC at Baylor.  This would be nothing but a desperate and embarrassing  attempt to experience our very own Orgeron Effect.   

CCM:  It's hard for OCs to succeed as an SEC HC and CCM is one of the many who didn't.  The Arky HC failure is still pretty fresh.  Why would we even consider this? 

CGC:  Heh.  Which is more ridiculous?  Us making the offer or him accepting it?  

Can't pick a best or worst.  Just listing them in a public forum gives me the jitters in fear that somebody with more money than sense will latch on to one and make it happen.  Anyway, we've got time.  Gus' contract, apathy and cowardice all say we probably won't trade in the Bus until Dabo is at Bama and Kiffin is at Clemson (or some such).  A lot of bad Auburn HC possibilities can pop up between now and then.  

My whole post is a joke! I am only part of the "posse" in the name of it being a temp fix to bring a spark with the status quo remaining being the only other solution. I am one who will risk change without fear when I see a pattern with an ever-increasing line-up of ineffective remedy attempts. But if it makes you feel better to keep the name-calling going in 2020, do have at it. 😁

I have no expectations at all for any OC working for Gus.  However as a QB coach I hope he can help Nix with fundamentals, film study and reading defenses.  For a Gus offense to succeed against quality teams we need a qb that can read and make a play when being told to go into a bad play call.

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

My whole post is a joke! I am only part of the "posse" in the name of it being a temp fix to bring a spark with the status quo remaining being the only other solution. I am one who will risk change without fear when I see a pattern with an ever-increasing line-up of ineffective remedy attempts. But if it makes you feel better to keep the name-calling going in 2020, do have at it. 😁

My response was a jest in the same vein, yet a man may say full sooth in game and play.   ;)  

19 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Gus is toast if the Chad Morris Experience doesn't win 10 especially with the schedule we're given next year. 9-3 is fine with a win over Bama and the cushion of "Toughest SOS in the country".

But the excuses are running out. It's hard to gauge a team based on bowl games as we all know because everyone has their own goals in mind (when not playing for hardware)... However this team had win #10 in front of them and I would have thought that was enough to keep them focused. But we looked very undisciplined today. I don't know why, and I'm not going to point fingers acting like I know why...

We have an opportunity to be a much improved team next year offensively. That's the only sliver of hope I can offer right now. My advice: keep the liquor at the ready.

they can always use the 'Bo was a true freshman qb last year and is still learning"

21 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Mark this down. 1/1/2020. This is a pivotal day for the future of the program. Gus once again flops in Tampa and proves he can no longer call offense.

He can either completely give the keys to Chad - the obvious choice. Morris will revamp our atrocious elementary school passing attack. He will take Bo to the next level.

OR he can pull another Chip Lindsey and never truly take his hands off the wheel. We will win 8 next season, and hopefully be looking for a new HC. 

I hope Gus picks option #1. It is seriously the only chance he has to change his career trajectory.

Even if option 1 is picked by Gus this will not fix the problem, since Chad is a clone of Gus.  His offense at Clemson enjoyed a couple of years of good success then falls off to around 60th is final year.  Onto the Hogs, where Gus's offensive genius clone put up a whopping 20 and 13 points against defensive powerhouses Portland State and Western Kentucky.  Gus is incapable of implementing competent changes.

20 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Gus is toast if the Chad Morris Experience doesn't win 10 especially with the schedule we're given next year. 9-3 is fine with a win over Bama and the cushion of "Toughest SOS in the country".

But the excuses are running out. It's hard to gauge a team based on bowl games as we all know because everyone has their own goals in mind (when not playing for hardware)... However this team had win #10 in front of them and I would have thought that was enough to keep them focused. But we looked very undisciplined today. I don't know why, and I'm not going to point fingers acting like I know why...

We have an opportunity to be a much improved team next year offensively. That's the only sliver of hope I can offer right now. My advice: keep the liquor at the ready.

The only way this team gets better offensively is if the OL gets better and I mean alot better.

You people acting like Morris had enough time to implement his offensive scheme at Arkansas are delusional. 

Maybe you guys dont remember what happened when we took a team recruited for the spread since around 06/07 and forced a pro style offense on them... we just had our worst season in our entire history of playing football (2012.) Likewise Arkansas had been recruited for a pro style offense since Bobby P was hired in 2008. 

The naysayers will say Morris should have run the offense his team was recruited for... However Morris was hired to replace the Bret Bielema pro style offense, not run it...

Having less than 2 seasons to recruit the type of players he needed for his offense was simply not enough. Arkansas should have known how much of a rebuild that was going to be, and they simply didnt give him enough time. 

Had they hired Malzahn in 2017, he is likely fired by now as well. He wouldn't have produced any better results there in the given time... not with how stubborn Gus is about the way he runs his offense... 

15 hours ago, AURealist said:

Yep.  You keep saying that as though it somehow proves he is in high demand for a permanent OC or HC job or will have some sort of effect on a team where he will not be able to perform the job on his door plate.  Why would someone so in demand take a one year job of doing not his job for Gus Malzahn? 

Other great things Auburn fans 'know':

Jeremy Johnson is Heisman material.

Bo Nix will win us championships.

Gus Malzahn was headed to Arkansas (he's so in demand) we have to pay him whatever he wants to keep him.

Auburn is considered by most people to be one of the top ten football programs of all time.

Gus Malzahn is a genius.

Unless....   

Unless it's a cynical gambit (or another sneaky Malzahn plot) to take Gus' job when Gus gets the ax.  If the Kevin Steele for HC crowd starts blowing that horn, I'm swearing off this site for good.  And if Auburn does such a bone-headed JABA thing as to hire Morris as HC, I'll swear off Auburn football for good, as the University will have proven itself unworthy of actually having fans.

AMEN  Chad is nothing more than a Gus clone.

19 hours ago, milehighfan said:

But the excuses are running out.

They are always running out....but, like a perpetual hourglass that never empties, they never seem to actually run out.

Didn't Chad beat us with our own offense when he was at Clemson?

Hopefully he has enough differences to give at least a little different look. If not, we are exactly where we are now.  

At least at this time, we have a little hope.

Chad won’t save this offense.  We do this same some and dance every offseason.

nothing will change, he was hired to be a yes man until another school comes knocking for a HC

This offense is dated. 

22 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You people acting like Morris had enough time to implement his offensive scheme at Arkansas are delusional. 

Maybe you guys dont remember what happened when we took a team recruited for the spread since around 06/07 and forced a pro style offense on them... we just had our worst season in our entire history of playing football (2012.) Likewise Arkansas had been recruited for a pro style offense since Bobby P was hired in 2008. 

The naysayers will say Morris should have run the offense his team was recruited for... However Morris was hired to replace the Bret Bielema pro style offense, not run it...

Having less than 2 seasons to recruit the type of players he needed for his offense was simply not enough. Arkansas should have known how much of a rebuild that was going to be, and they simply didnt give him enough time. 

Had they hired Malzahn in 2017, he is likely fired by now as well. He wouldn't have produced any better results there in the given time... not with how stubborn Gus is about the way he runs his offense... 

Beat me to it

Did the Chip Lindsey era ever really begin? lol.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:24 PM, milehighfan said:

The only way this team gets better offensively is if the OL gets better and I mean alot better.

Oh, they'll get better. But then again the bar isn't exactly set all that high to begin with.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:28 PM, AUght2win said:

Schedule is cake outside the big 3. We need 10 wins or the division next year or Gus is gone. 

I say good luck. He can’t beat LSU or GA and my blind luck and yes 2 of his 3 are luck can’t beat Bama. I still don’t see 10 next year as he is always good for at least one screw up and maybe two against teams he should beat. He no longer has an offensive identity and now will be missing a d line to bail him out of stupidity, not to mention what the  o line will be. I’ve been an AU fan my whole life due to my Father being an alumni, but I am finding where I barely watch the games anymore. I may DVR them, but not worth my BP to donate a whole afternoon or evening yelling at complete stupidity and stubbornness. The only good thing AU has done recently concerning the football program is get rid of the AD and President that approved the contract. Yes, boosters have a lot of say, but damn, look at what UGA has done. They are light years ahead of us, because their boosters give, but don’t meddle as much. Just some thoughts. 

I don't post much but I have been preaching for years. Gus is a high school coach using a high school playbook trying to compete in big boy football. Sure he can win 8-9 games a year. Hell, any of us could do that with Auburn's talent. He hasn't been terrible at recruiting. I think Gus is a fine man and is running a clean program but his offense is too simplistic. His biggest fault is his inability to adapt and inability to hand over the offense to a competent coordinator. He has got to go!

Archived