Bowl Game Results

ChltteTiger

In the aftermath of yet another major disappointment in a "quality" bowl game I am wondering.. why was Pat Dye so much more successful in bowl games (Dyes teams 6-2-1 vs Malzahn teams 2-5) ? Is there something they did preparation-wise that was markedly different from what the GM staff has been doing? I am not in the mood to rip Malzahn right now but something just does not add up.

heck Chizik went 3-0 ......

5 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

In the aftermath of yet another major disappointment in a "quality" bowl game I am wondering.. why was Pat Dye so much more successful in bowl games (Dyes teams 6-2-1 vs Malzahn teams 2-5) ? Is there something they did preparation-wise that was markedly different from what the GM staff has been doing? I am not in the mood to rip Malzahn right now but something just does not add up.

Pat Dyes teams were built to run over you, not to finesse you. Gus's run game works when the other team is tired. That didn't happen today. Dye had some problems from time to time but he wanted his OL to be men. Dye most likely had much more physical practices. 

A team takes on the personality of it's coach.  Pat didn't try to trick you, he lined up and whooped your ass at the line of scrimmage. 

I understand what you are saying but that makes it sound like Dye's teams scored more points than Malzahn's teams. Which was probably not the case but I don't really know. And it looked to me that in todays loss the defense was more disappointing. But thats just me I guess.

I do think Dye had better O linemen than we have been getting under GM. Whether they were higher ranked coming in from H.S. might have something to do with that.

Gus is a moron, who can't develop talent, is a bad play callers, has done nothing to respond to his trickery being figured out and is an all around inferior head coach of a major Power 5 program.  Other than that, everything he does is identical to what Dye used to do.  

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

I understand what you are saying but that makes it sound like Dye's teams scored more points than Malzahn's teams. Which was probably not the case but I don't really know. And it looked to me that in todays loss the defense was more disappointing. But thats just me I guess.

I do think Dye had better O linemen than we have been getting under GM. Whether they were higher ranked coming in from H.S. might have something to do with that.

It is simple. Like people have said above Pat Dye is a much better coach than Gus. The man won 4 SEC Titles in the 80's and his teams are the reason the narrative on AU was completely changed in the modern era. He completely changed the Auburn culture. Gus offense is easy to prepare for in a week. Give quality coaches a month to prepare for it and you get results in bowl games like we have and for his bowl record to be 2-5.

34 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

This staff changed preparation up completely this year, there are multiple articles on this board attesting to the changes and the lengths they went to keep the practices super secret.  They worked like dogs prepping and scheming with help from Morris bringing his genius to the mix.

31 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Pat Dyes teams were built to run over you, not to finesse you. Gus's run game works when the other team is tired. That didn't happen today. Dye had some problems from time to time but he wanted his OL to be men. Dye most likely had much more physical practices. 

you can genuinely tell that Gus thought if he just continued to run right at them, that they were going to wear down, and that he could have Boobie win the day once again. You can tell, and they could tell.

47 minutes ago, keesler said:

This staff changed preparation up completely this year, there are multiple articles on this board attesting to the changes and the lengths they went to keep the practices super secret.  They worked like dogs prepping and scheming with help from Morris bringing his genius to the mix.

And then did absolutely nothing different than every other game this season, and last season, and the season before that and the four seasons before that. Eventually, Gus has got to see the light or the door.  

I agree with the pro-Dye posts.

Also, in the 80s (before the BCS even, much less the "playoffs")....heck, before there were more bowl games than teams with winning records, for that matter....well.....bowls actually mattered back then.

Those two wins are over Memphis and Purdue. That is the extent of Malzahn’s bowl accomplishment. So, it’s even worse than it appears

For all of you too young to know what a Pat Dye offense looked like, you saw it today, it was just dressed in Minnesota colors. His defense in the good years looked like Clemson and Ohio State's a couple of days ago. So, nothing like this, and I have been a Gus supporter. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

And?? The bowl results were just as disappointing as all but 2 of Gus' seasons. Oh yea moral victory we did not get blown out!

I am still off the bus like 95% of the rest of you all.

31 minutes ago, fredst said:

Those two wins are over Memphis and Purdue. That is the extent of Malzahn’s bowl accomplishment. So, it’s even worse than it appears

And Memphis didn’t even have their head coach when we beat them. 

2 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Who knows what is going happen in a meaningless bowl game now? Big advantage is the extra weeks of practice for the youngsters.....about anyone with a winning record and a name is in one today.

47 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Who knows what is going happen in a meaningless bowl game now? Big advantage is the extra weeks of practice for the youngsters.....about anyone with a winning record and a name is in one today.

Some say meaningless bowl game, and when one of those meaningless bowls are won the coaching staff falls all over themselves saying how wonderful and great the win was to “finish the season on a positive note” and how bright the future looks.😀

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Gus just doesnt know what to do. He is Micky Mouse coach so all of this stuff he says he is doing is just show.  How many changes has he implemented over the years like he giving up play calling duties or he taking back playcalling duties or he is changing the way he eats pancakes in the morning.  His changes he says he is implementing are meaning less Gus ploys.  Anyway 2020 season is in the crapper now.

53 minutes ago, keesler said:

Some say meaningless bowl game, and when one of those meaningless bowls are won the coaching staff falls all over themselves saying how wonderful and great the win was to “finish the season on a positive note” and how bright the future looks.😀

If it were genuinely meaningless, we wouldn't be so upset. Only the losing team hints at meaninglessness.

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Gus just doesnt know what to do. He is Micky Mouse coach so all of this stuff he says he is doing is just show.  How many changes has he implemented over the years like he giving up play calling duties or he taking back playcalling duties or he is changing the way he eats pancakes in the morning.  His changes he says he is implementing are meaning less Gus ploys.  Anyway 2020 season is in the crapper now.

The amazing thing is that there are people still buying into his schtick. 

11 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The amazing thing is that there are people still buying into his schtick. 

Because hope springs eternal and he is a good Christian man that runs a crystal clean program and has whipped Saban’s ass more times than any coach in existence.

Archived