Bowl Game Results

ChltteTiger

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

Pat Dyes teams were built to run over you, not to finesse you. Gus's run game works when the other team is tired. That didn't happen today. Dye had some problems from time to time but he wanted his OL to be men. Dye most likely had much more physical practices. 

Dye-style practices would no longer be allowed under current rules. 

8 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

In the aftermath of yet another major disappointment in a "quality" bowl game I am wondering.. why was Pat Dye so much more successful in bowl games (Dyes teams 6-2-1 vs Malzahn teams 2-5) ? Is there something they did preparation-wise that was markedly different from what the GM staff has been doing? I am not in the mood to rip Malzahn right now but something just does not add up.

heck Chizik went 3-0 ......

Fewer bowl games, no playoffs, so they meant more. Being in the SEC and winning the Sugar Bowl regardless of NC or not was a BIG thing. I'd say the approach to bowl games in 2017 vs 1987 is completely different across the board.

Lol and as mentioned here, many things that Pat Dye did that would now not be allowed.

The Winter Classic at the Cotton Bowl was a blast though, little pond game between the Preds and the Stars. Sell out and great atmosphere. Were a ton of Pred fans there also. That hockey game had more of a bowl game feel than most bowl games now. Was more fun than the Alamo Bowl.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Fewer bowl games, no playoffs, so they meant more.

Negative. This bowl game meant everything to this staff and team. 

Pat Dye was much better at consistently having his teams prepared to play football. 

im so ready for gus to get fired mid-season next year. He's a freaking embarrassment, and finding new and creative ways to embarrass Auburn.

WE LOST TO DANG MINNESOTA!

15 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

In the aftermath of yet another major disappointment in a "quality" bowl game I am wondering.. why was Pat Dye so much more successful in bowl games (Dyes teams 6-2-1 vs Malzahn teams 2-5) ? Is there something they did preparation-wise that was markedly different from what the GM staff has been doing? I am not in the mood to rip Malzahn right now but something just does not add up.

heck Chizik went 3-0 ......

Simple. Dye was a football coach. A man's man.  Gus is a designer of an offense.  Dye knew his players; their hardships, their upbringing.  He could relate to being dirt poor or rich.  He had heartfelt emotion you could see when he addressed his team during victories and more importantly losses.  Dye could squeeze every ounce of greatness from all of his players who were willing.  In victory Gus simply states the upward trajectory with an arm motion and in losses Gus says we didn't execute.  Gus holds his HUNH Offense in higher regard than the team or any player.  You can't be a person of sound mind and look at the Offensive performances against teams with a pulse and think the Offense is doing well unless you are Gus and the offense is like a child of yours that can do no wrong.

34 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Simple. Dye was a football coach. A man's man.  Gus is a designer of an offense.  Dye knew his players; their hardships, their upbringing.  He could relate to being dirt poor or rich.  He had heartfelt emotion you could see when he addressed his team during victories and more importantly losses.  Dye could squeeze every ounce of greatness from all of his players who were willing.  In victory Gus simply states the upward trajectory with an arm motion and in losses Gus says we didn't execute.  Gus holds his HUNH Offense in higher regard than the team or any player.  You can't be a person of sound mind and look at the Offensive performances against teams with a pulse and think the Offense is doing well unless you are Gus and the offense is like a child of yours that can do no wrong.

Nailed it

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Negative. This bowl game meant everything to this staff and team. 

Pat Dye was much better at consistently having his teams prepared to play football. 

Effort out of the gate would say it didn't.

I agree with the second statement.

11 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Eh. I can't question effort based off watching the game. But that also means I can't say with any certainty that the effort was there, either. The results certainly don't suggest that everyone was trying their hardest. Maybe I should say that there was no reason that motivation should have been a problem. The UCF game a couple years ago? Sure. Absolutely. They were tired and disappointed. This game was different and should've been a major sendoff for some of the most accomplished seniors in program history and something to build on for 2020. If motivation was a problem, then I have to rethink the nice things that I've said about our HC.

32 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

The preparation for the bowl game was all business, they changed things up, kept it all secretive and undercover so there weren't any leaks.  Preparation was great with motivated players that wanted to stamp that 10 win season to end the decade on a positive note.  There are articles posted here for weeks prior to the game pumping up the program.

12 hours ago, keesler said:

The preparation for the bowl game was all business, they changed things up, kept it all secretive and undercover so there weren't any leaks.  Preparation was great with motivated players that wanted to stamp that 10 win season to end the decade on a positive note.  There are articles posted here for weeks prior to the game pumping up the program.

I remember articles about us firing Gus and on the verge of hiring Stoops also. Or all the Georgia is gonna make a statement articles vs Texas last year and prove they were snubbed.

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I was thoroughly impressed with Minnesota's RBs. They had excellent vision and ability to find a crease. 

I was impressed with their whole offense.  The kept max protection most of the game, ran the ball well and carved us up with their RPO ( maybe 3 receivers running routes).  That last TD of theirs looked like a Will Hasting’s route and left our DB trying to catch up.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I was impressed with their whole offense.  The kept max protection most of the game, ran the ball well and carved us up with their RPO ( maybe 3 receivers running routes).  That last TD of theirs looked like a Will Hasting’s route and left our DB trying to catch up.

Yes. Very well coached and technically sound. Those stretch plays they ran...man....We couldn't stop them. It would look like the DL and LBs had it snuffed and boom a hole would pop open and they would bounce for 10-12 yards. 

Archived