Anthony Schwartz Leaving?

Zeek

I keep seeing tweets about him deciding to either give up football or track. 

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I keep seeing tweets about him deciding to either give up football or track. 

IDK if that's true, but it'd make sense with the force feeding they've given him as of late. Im all for using him, but other than the occasional slant, they havent used him in any type of a creative manner. Although I dont think Gus would know how to do that anyway 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Tigers-receiver-Anthony-Schwartz-will-decide-on-football-future-after-track-season-141449519/ 

Guy is one of the fastest human beings on the planet and seemingly has improved in track every passing year. Sounds like he doesn't want to play football if he can get where he wants to in that sport. This is also one of his quotes, "Schwartz tweeted after the game "control what you can control" with an emoji of a person shrugging and "6/6," which is in reference to his six catches on six targets." 

Now I don't think it's just Auburn misusing him that makes him want to do track long term, I think he would've gotten to this point if he went anywhere else, but we probably didn't help his decision making

Fastest guy on the field every week and Gus can't find a use for him.  In that light, concentrating on track makes sense.  

10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

If twitter banter about picking football or track why is thread title "Anthony Schwartz Leaving"?

If you qualify for the olympics, you have to leave school, no? He may practice for it here, but Id have to think for a long stretch he'd need to be away from this school entirely 

I've said it before....if he's one of the fastest college players, why didn't we ever send him on a streak at least once ever game???? I'd take my chances with him out running the coverage....wouldn't you???

4 hours ago, AURealist said:

Fastest guy on the field every week and Gus can't find a use for him.  In that light, concentrating on track makes sense.  

^^This. Defenses should have been forced to account for him on every play.

He is right. With track it is him vs the others in different lanes, he is in control. In football he has to rely on 21 other players and what they do on the field and situations. He is also probably considering how injuries are impacting him.

I wouldn't blame him stepping away if track holds a better future for him as a career.

If Anthony and his speed were at Bama or LSU the kid would be a rockstar.  With Gus he gets underneath routes and many that have him catching the ball at a spot instead of catching it in full stride.  Gus must stop using players for certain plays.  It is way too predictable and leaves way to much talent sitting on the bench.  It also leads to too much substituting.  Pick your best eleven starters and have backups to provide the same quality reps when they need a breather.  Stop bringing a guy in just to run a wheel route.  It is so infuriating.  

Since I can't see the entire field on my TV, I'm assuming every few plays he's running some deep route and taking one of the safeties with him.  I'm just assuming that because it's what I would do.

I am not sure if any coach in the nation can get less out of his talent.  I am not sure that any coach in the nation can misuse his talent at a higher level than Auburn   I am not sure that any coach in the nation can develop his players At a lower  level as Auburn.

Obviously this offensive coaching only.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I am not sure if any coach in the nation can get less out of his talent.  I am not sure that any coach in the nation can misuse his talent at a higher level than Auburn   I am not sure that any coach in the nation can develop his players At a lower  level as Auburn.

Obviously this offensive coaching only.

Why offense only? The star-studded, talented and experienced defense got shoved around like a jr. high squad all day yesterday.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Why offense only? The star-studded, talented and experienced defense got shoved around like a jr. high squad all day yesterday.

Yep. They had a bad day that was an anomaly. Would've been nice if once, just once, the offense of which Gus has 100% complete control could have bailed them out. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. They had a bad day that was an anomaly. Would've been nice if once, just once, the offense of which Gus has 100% complete control could have bailed them out. 

The offense might have bailed them out, at least into an OT but we'll never know. 17 plays, eight minutes and 38 seconds of ball control by Minnesota to end the game took away any chance the offense might have had to either succeed or fail. The first half was much the same, with AU having the ball only a few minutes. I will say that the offense looked entirely not-ready to take the field after the early interception. It was like: "Hey, we aren't warmed up yet, don't get a turnover so early in the game."

Why do you lack reading comprehension?   

I would have posted it if it was true but we have done those things on defense.

defense was not good yesterday but when the offense can only stay on the field for 8 minutes in the first half and your offense has 106 yards in the first half and 218 for the game........

Schwartz is fast, but not faster than Minnesota's 4-man rush against our Senior-laden offensive line. And that is all the difference. 😒 Scheme doesn't seem to be what's holding him back.

That said. I don't know what Anthony's interests are but considering the injury risks that football poses he may see Track and Field as his bread and butter. I wouldn't fault him for making that decision.

The offense might have bailed them out, at least into an OT but we'll never know. 17 plays, eight minutes and 38 seconds of ball control by Minnesota to end the game took away any chance the offense might have had to either succeed or fail. The first half was much the same, with AU having the ball only a few minutes. I will say that the offense looked entirely not-ready to take the field after the early interception. It was like: "Hey, we aren't warmed up yet, don't get a turnover so early in the game."

You do realize that the offense has to get first downs and sustain drives in order for the team to gain time of possession, right?

232 total yards of offense. That is abhorrent.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mc...the breakdown in nearly every debate here no matter the thread boils down to body of work vs. random incident. Pattern vs. fluke. Forest vs. trees. Risk vs. stuck.

Not worth the debate. The "superfan" thing...sometimes the adult in the room needs to march past the screaming child and decide its outfit for him. No discussion.

Sure. These things ARE out of our hands as fans. But this will not last forever. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Right. It would be nice, for once, if the offense had an anomaly in the other direction.

12 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I've said it before....if he's one of the fastest college players, why didn't we ever send him on a streak at least once ever game???? I'd take my chances with him out running the coverage....wouldn't you???

I heard something interesting about Tyreek Hill that I think also applies to Schwartz: Their speed is only useful if the QB can throw it as far as they can run in the time the ball gets there.  Hill has Mahomes throwing to him, and Mahomes can seemingly throw it 75 yards with a flick of his wrist.  At a certain point, if the QB can't throw it far enough, then the speed becomes neutralized because the  receiver has to slow down to stay in the QB's range.

I don't know if that applies to Schwartz and Nix or not, but I thought it was interesting and it wasn't something I had really considered before. 

Many need to remember Schwartz was been injured or out half of the season so his stats are skewed.  Remember before the season he had surgery on his hand so he had to wear a club.  Very difficult to catch.  And then the Iron Bowl he was injured and out with a leg injury.

Schwartz isn't deciding not to play football anymore because of his utilization, it is due to the Olympics, which we have always known.  Honestly if I were him I would do the Olympics.  That is such a high honor.  And after the Olympics the NFL is still waiting.  He can still live out his dreams in both, even if that means his time with Auburn is cut short.  But to blame that on our program is unfair.

5 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

I heard something interesting about Tyreek Hill that I think also applies to Schwartz: Their speed is only useful if the QB can throw it as far as they can run in the time the ball gets there.  Hill has Mahomes throwing to him, and Mahomes can seemingly throw it 75 yards with a flick of his wrist.  At a certain point, if the QB can't throw it far enough, then the speed becomes neutralized because the  receiver has to slow down to stay in the QB's range.

I don't know if that applies to Schwartz and Nix or not, but I thought it was interesting and it wasn't something I had really considered before. 

You're right about this. 

Bo can definitely throw it that far. Whether or not he is afforded time to allow his receiver to get downfield before throwing it is a different question. 

15 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I have wondered the same thing the past two seasons.

:dunno:

Archived