Besides Kodi & Grimes

dyehardfanAU

The problem we have is Gus has a reputation.  Many coaches would not work for him.  That is why he recycles and hires inexperience. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

The problem we have is Gus has a reputation.  Many coaches would not work for him.  That is why he recycles and hires inexperience. 

After Hand left, Gus only made one single phone call. He's getting exactly who he wants.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

After Hand left, Gus only made one single phone call. He's getting exactly who he wants.

Same with Morris when Dilly left. 

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

based on what? A guy who was fumble prone before he came? he cant control who Gus chooses to put out there at RB

And you heard that stat from the game earlier...that stat wasn't exclusively RBs. Bo has had quite a few himself

Every back has had issues . Yes I did hear that stat during the game . Also regarding the fumble prone back in boobee whitlow . It’s Carnells job to fix those fumbling issues and he has not.  AU has been terrible all year in ball security. 

43 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I somewhat agree but Boobie shouldn't be on the roster

Can you extend on this? Not sure what you're saying.

Just now, jAUSon said:

Can you extend on this? Not sure what you're saying.

I'm saying he's not an SEC caliber back.

12 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm saying he's not an SEC caliber back.

I feel the same way privately, but up in here I'd just as soon let you be the spokesperson lol. Props.

Just now, jAUSon said:

I feel the same way privately, but up in here I'd just as soon let you be the spokesperson lol. Props.

It's nothing personal, though some will take it that way.  Horton really fell behind his last 3 seasons on the recruiting trail.

2 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Watch the WRs when the QB scrambles. They either stand around or try to block. 
Canella broke that mold today with his TD. He had stopped and when he saw Bo scramble, he headed up field. That should be the rule, not the exception. But when your coach never did it, I reckon he doesn’t know how to coach it. 

This is a big one for me. Tired of watching Big 12 2 and 3 stars make plays that embarrass our 4 and 5's at that position.

4 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Every back has had issues . Yes I did hear that stat during the game . Also regarding the fumble prone back in boobee whitlow . It’s Carnells job to fix those fumbling issues and he has not.  AU has been terrible all year in ball security. 

alright...but aside from the fumbles Boobie has looked like a better back. To imply Carnell hasnt done anything, or may have even caused the guy to regress, isn't correct. That specific RB is just fumble prone. You can't fix that issue with everyone, and Boobie is a special case even as far as "RBs" go with his positional history. 

Just to add on, there's other backs on this roster that have toted the rock. D.J Williams, first guy put on roster during Carnell's tenure. No fumble. You want to use the "he should improve the guys that came before his tenure" argument? Kam Martin finished with no fumbles. Shaun Shivers had one during a game where the team had like 20 it seemed like, but he had less than last year. Bo and Boobie combined for 11/24 fumbles, and those two abide by different rules when it comes to ball security. Your blame is misplaced

9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Also stated that this year is his last year every year which makes attracting coaches hard also.

Hasn't been a problem on defense.

Gus isn't getting turned down by better offensive assistants. He's getting the guys he wants.

You guys trip me out on what you blame the wr coach for.....all they focus on is blocking.....that's not kodi it's Gus. Wr coach is the easiest job because there's not too much you can do to improve them, the concepts they learn come from the OC. You can bring in what wr coach you want as long as Gus is here they will all look the same

Garner and Williams are the 2 best coaches on the whole staff. The question is, would a replacement for Gus keep them? Bring in a new HC, let him hire the staff he feels most comfortable with that will do their job coaching. Steele has had exceptional talent to work with and has a couple of real good assistants in Garner and Williams. To me, that has been Steeles 3 success's on the D side. Seems like Gus will only hire coaches on the O side that will not get in his way or are just simply filling a spot and say yes sir coach. Gus has had exceptional talent to work with too, and I will just leave it at that. What has Gus Malzhan, as a HC, proven himself to be over the last 7 years? Is he just someone who has beaten saban more than any other coach, is that his forte? 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn't even see that first part of the post, every back has NOT had issues lol. 

Listen you make good points and maybe the RBs as a whole are not a strong as we are used to seeing . It’s probably a combination of zero push from the line , ball security, and play calling . Carnell is also a young coach as far as tenure. I’m probably still emotional from The beating yesterday . 

Lol bruhhhhhhhhh Woodson has not been getting it done on the trail!? In his first full cycle last year he had 6 recruits he was primary or secondary on and all were 4 stars. He finished 9th in the whole country in the recruiter rankings. Where on Earth did you get the notion he was not getting it done??? 

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeCoachRankings/

He is the single biggest reason we have started to recruit really well in the state of MS. If we get McKinley Jackson it will mainly be because of Woodson and Garner efforts. He has 2 four star commits this cycle. Down from last year but we will see what he finishes with.

As for Porter and Kodi??? We just got a 4 star TE/HB where Porter was primary on. That is a miracle with how little we target that position in the passing game. Why would ANY TE/HB want to play in this offense? Porter closed when bama wanted him bad.

As for our WR coach? All we can ask for out of that position is a really good recruiter which Kodi def has grown in to. It's the hardest position on the staff to be a coach of because fans will think you are a sub par coach as evidenced by what you and other have said about Kodi. But there is nothing he can do as long as Gus refuses to upgrade the passing game. All he can do is bring in multiple 4 star WR's which is no easy task with how little we actually throw the ball. I say he's doing a outstanding job.

All Caddy has done in his first year on the job is get our first 5 star RB in 4 or 5 classes and get a 2021 commit from a top 100 played in Armoni Goodwin. Caddy is killing it and doing a great job.

The one and only position coach I see as a huge and major weakness is of course the obvious and the one everyone knows about. OL coach. We cannot continue to get eviscerated on the trail. It is setting us back for years. We have to get a stud recruiter in there asap. Now! Now! Now! We can't wait. OL is the least talented position group on the whole team easily.

I just can't stand to watch anymore games as long as the 49 million dollar high school coach is still on the Plains. I'm 1000% done. I love the Auburn Tigers. I can't stand the coach. He's bringing down our football program further and further every year.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Listen you make good points and maybe the RBs as a whole are not a strong as we are used to seeing . It’s probably a combination of zero push from the line , ball security, and play calling . Carnell is also a young coach as far as tenure. I’m probably still emotional from The beating yesterday . 

Yeah I'd probably say so, our most naturally talented back looked good in the games he got burn, so I don't see where Cadillac failed. He can't decide who plays and what plays they're typecasted into. Our OL also is horrible at run blocking so you can't get a fair gauge anyway. 

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

All Caddy has done in his first year on the job is get our first 5 star RB in 4 or 5 classes and get a 2021 commit from a top 100 played in Armoni Goodwin. Caddy is killing it and doing a great job.

The one and only position coach I see as a huge and major weakness is of course the obvious and the one everyone knows about. OL coach. We cannot continue to get eviscerated on the trail. It is setting us back for years. We have to get a stud recruiter in there asap. Now! Now! Now! We can't wait. OL is the least talented position group on the whole team easily.

Cadillac is a godsend, he might not have been that "proven hire" people wanted, but he's been an ace recruiter (so far) and the returning guys have looked marginally better. Shivers cut up the field more, when the holes were there. Kam Martin has been okay in spot touches (hasn't gotten any sustained drives it feels like). I think Boobie has been better at this utterly insane "hero of the offense" role Gus puts him in. The guy that's been solely under his tutelage looked like a SEC FOTY contender before he was relegated back to the bench 

21 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Explain to me why Kodi Burns needs to be replaced? Why is it his fault if MALZAHN'S offense is built on go-routes and slip screens?

Don't get me wrong, the passing game is well past due for an upgrade, but that's on the scheme - not the position group.

Grimes, while I do believe he didn't have much to work with to start, I have lost trust in his ability to develop. I have seen little to no improvement in our O-Line in two years. There's no reason why Minnesota should be able to consistently get pressure on our heavy protection packages while only rushing 4. That's supposed to be OUR M/O. Meanwhile flipping Wisconsin was able to carve Minnesota's Defense up... On the ground... In a blizzard... Oh and heisman hopeful Johnathan Taylor was having a less-than-average day.

Answering your other questions though, Porter and Woodson have been pivotal on the recruiting trail. Special teams took a bit of a dip this year, and there's not much to say about H-backs and Tight-ends. Our secondary has been pretty solid this year, I thought at the start of the season they'd get picked on the most. I think they stay unless the get poached... The coaching carousel isn't done spinning just yet.

I hate to see Kodi go because he belongs with Auburn. There have been few coaches that have loved Auburn more than he has. He's also a big reason that we are competing for good receivers for the first time in 15 years. But his coaching (particularly regarding route running) has not been very good. The route tree was actually more diverse this year than it has been in previous years. Prior to this year, we rarely if ever saw slants, out routes, fades curl routes, drag routes, or hitch routes. We used all of these this year regularly.The guys aren't running very crisp routes, so they aren't getting open very well even with a better route tree. They are also stopping at the end of their poorly ran routes, so they aren't helping Bo late in plays while he's scrambling. He's been a dynamite recruiter, so I'm kind of split on losing him. But, his coaching...

On 1/2/2020 at 6:52 AM, cole256 said:

You guys trip me out on what you blame the wr coach for.....all they focus on is blocking.....that's not kodi it's Gus. Wr coach is the easiest job because there's not too much you can do to improve them, the concepts they learn come from the OC. You can bring in what wr coach you want as long as Gus is here they will all look the same

Fair enough.  Are we recruiting upper tier SEC level WRs consistently?  No flame, just curious what people think.

22 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I just can't stand to watch anymore games as long as the 49 million dollar high school coach is still on the Plains. I'm 1000% done. I love the Auburn Tigers. I can't stand the coach. He's bringing down our football program further and further every year.

Then don't watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to move the needle off of that part of your record. You seem to just repeat over and over and over.  

Archived