George Pickens

twilli13

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No it's no secret that I know football is one of the rare people that can be objective and just because guys like you that believe saying he has to get better doesn't mean you don't like a guy.....it's football.

I know football as well, and coached offense a little myself. I can recognize talent when I see it. I'll give you the fact that he needs to get better, but is also a true freshman. Problem is, I have no delusions that he's going to improve much in Malzahns elementary scheme. He's never going to be a Cam, not a Nick Marshal. He's not that type of QB. I would venture to say if the kid was playing under someone like Riley he would already putting up massive numbers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I know football as well, and coached offense a little myself. I can recognize talent when I see it. I'll give you the fact that he needs to get better, but is also a true freshman. Problem is, I have no delusions that he's going to improve much in Malzahns elementary sheme

I agree with that. I agree he has talent. As far as I remember it seems like I was the only person that evaluated Bo correctly as how he would perform this year. But I don't dislike him, and I don't place all blame on him. But some blame is his to hold and people go crazy if you point it out for whatever reason. 

He should've been better in his fundamental foundation. That's is a fact. Also Gus could have helped him more especially with play calling. And the fact he couldn't identify and help Bo fix some basic things is alarming. I agree with you completely with that

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I agree with that. I agree he has talent. As far as I remember it seems like I was the only person that evaluated Bo correctly as how he would perform this year. But I don't dislike him, and I don't place all blame on him. But some blame is his to hold and people go crazy if you point it out for whatever reason. 

He should've been better in his fundamental foundation. That's is a fact. Also Gus could have helped him more especially with play calling. And the fact he couldn't identify and help Bo fix some basic things is alarming. I agree with you completely with that

I know an AHSAA official that called a lot of his games (an AU fan) and he said Before the season that Bo needed a RS year but that Bo had the IT factor, BO was never known for his accuracy etc, but he always made big plays when his team needed it and we saw that at times this season. If you can get Bo to step up in the pocket and work on his footwork, I think he can be a great QB before he leaves 

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

We have a QB that has trouble going to a #2 read....what makes him any different than the guys who play here? Trying to villainsize kids isn't going to help us

Well in reality nothing I do will help or hurt anything. But you really think we another guy as talented as him on the roster? We have some guys I keep hearing are so talented but um not seeing it. We got Seth involved heavily as a freshman, y not Pickens. Just sayin. We coulda used him. 

8 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Pickens had 11 catches for GA tonight in the first half. That's at least half a season at Auburn. As long as Gus is running the offense here you should get used to losing recruiting battles for 5 star receivers.

I've never gonna get used to it. Tired of the mediocrity. 

44 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I've never gonna get used to it. Tired of the mediocrity. 

So am I friend, but reality set in for me as far back as 2015. Actually the warning signs about Gus were there in 2013, his best year. Even then he continued to run basically the same play over, and over into 8, and 9 man fronts. The only difference between then, and now is in 2013 he had a unique blend of talent that allowed him to get away with it. I tried to tell several people back then not to expect those type results every year from his offense, however I will admit that I had no idea if he would change anything once those guys were gone. A couple of seasons later I had my answer. I may be one of the first passengers off the Gus Bus, if I was ever really truly on it anyway. The putrid performance yesterday was a shining example of the ineptness of Gus's offensive scheme, or lack thereof.

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

So am I friend, but reality set in for me as far back as 2015. Actually the warning signs about Gus were there in 2013, his best year. Even then he continued to run basically the same play over, and over into 8, and 9 man fronts. The only difference between then, and now is in 2013 he had a unique blend of talent that allowed him to get away with it. I tried to tell several people back then not to expect those type results every year from his offense, however I will admit that I had no idea if he would change anything once those guys were gone. A couple of seasons later I had my answer. I may be one of the first passengers off the Gus Bus, if I was ever really truly on it anyway. The putrid performance yesterday was a shining example of the ineptness of Gus's offensive scheme, or lack thereof.

I can cheer for Auburn and not be on the bus.   Before the game yesterday, my son and I called the first offensive play of the game before kickoff.     Every offense to mankind needs basic plays in its playbook and yet we never see any from Gus with regularity.   Examples of a few plays, throws to a tight end over the middle, screen pass to a running back, draw plays, swing pass to a running back just to name a few.  

12 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Could've landed him if Kodi hadn't completely screwed the pooch.

Had absolutely nothing to do with Kodi and you know that for how often you are in the recruiting forum.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Had absolutely nothing to do with Kodi and you know that for how often you are in the recruiting forum.

No, I don't know that.  I do know that Kodi texted Pickens mom on accident with a very unflattering message and then poof he's at UGA.

11 hours ago, AURealist said:

Why so sore?

Maybe he  didn't want to just do useless sprints down the field. 

Maybe he wanted to catch the football, score touchdowns, win games, play for championships, hone his skills and go pro.  

Did he make the wrong decision? 

Actually Seth Williams has more yards as well as receptions this season than George Pickens and just as many touchdowns.  Auburn also had Nix throw more than Fromm did as a freshmen and as a junior Fromm only threw 8 more passes than Nix.  Georgia only had 318 more passing yards this season than Auburn.  Pickens just looked better this game because Fromm had no one else to throw to and Baylor refused to adjust to Pickens.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

No, I don't know that.  I do know that Kodi texted Pickens mom on accident with a very unflattering message and then poof he's at UGA.

Do you have a screenshot of this text message?  And here you go.  Feel free to read up.  I would focus in on WDE's comments not only on that page but the pages prior:

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Actually Seth Williams has more yards as well as receptions this season than George Pickens and just as many touchdowns.  Auburn also had Nix throw more than Fromm did as a freshmen and as a junior Fromm only threw 8 more passes than Nix.  Georgia only had 318 more passing yards this season than Auburn.  Pickens just looked better this game because Fromm had no one else to throw to and Baylor refused to adjust to Pickens.

Maybe Pickens is just a beast, since he was the only option and they still couldn't stop him. Stop hating man.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Maybe Pickens is just a beast, since he was the only option and they still couldn't stop him. Stop hating man.

Very talented for sure.  Two of those catches were a sight to behold (one was the TD pass), but the rest he was wide open because the corners were playing man and/or giving him so much cushion.  That is on Baylor's defense.  Not to mention this is the same guy who couldn't play every game this year because of fighting.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Very talented for sure.  Two of those catches were a sight to behold (one was the TD pass), but the rest he was wide open because the corners were playing man and/or giving him so much cushion.  That is on Baylor's defense.  Not to mention this is the same guy who couldn't play every game this year because of fighting.  

Is that his fault?

What does your last sentence have to do with his play yesterday?

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is that his fault?  No it isn't but that was not my point.  The point was Baylor made him look a lot better than he should have been.  If you compare that game to other games you will see he is brought back down to the mean.

What does your last sentence have to do with his play yesterday?  It doesn't.  It does play to the point to Dye that Auburn was okay with letting him go.  WDE said as much as well in the thread I linked above.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Like I said, you sound like a hater. You more worried about the scheme of Baylor stopping Pickens versus the scheme of Minnesota handling our players. You need to be wondering why are guys couldn't go off on Minnesota yesterday when they were playing that same bend, don't break defense. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Like I said, you sound like a hater. You more worried about the scheme of Baylor stopping Pickens versus the scheme of Minnesota handling our players. You need to be wondering why are guys couldn't go off on Minnesota yesterday when they were playing that same bend, don't break defense. 

Oh I do hate Pickens.  Absolutely.  No doubt about it.  That does not mean I don't think he has talent.  This particular thread is about Pickens though, not Minnesota so I am not sure where that came from.  Even the post game thread I haven't discussed that?

Just now, abw0004 said:

Oh I do hate Pickens.  Absolutely.  No doubt about it.  That does not mean I don't think he has talent.  This particular thread is about Pickens though, not Minnesota so I am not sure where that came from.  Even the post game thread I haven't discussed that?

My point is you will go out your way to dissect why Pickens isn't great. A rival player, yet you are very active on the other board and REFUSE to acknowledge the deficiency of our offense. You are not going to play Mr. Innocent with me. You know exactly what you are doing.

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

So as far as this season goes, he gets bragging rights for winning the AU/UGA game, had an outstanding personal game beating #7 in the Sugar Bowl and a #5 season-end team ranking.  So, for this season at least, his choosing UGA over AU is pretty much a wash.  

1 minute ago, DAG said:

My point is you will go out your way to dissect why Pickens isn't great. A rival player, yet you are very active on the other board and REFUSE to acknowledge the deficiency of our offense. You are not going to play Mr. Innocent with me. You know exactly what you are doing.

I feel like I am a pretty upfront person DAG and I think you of all people should know that.  I think you can agree I don't hide anything, and how I post on here is how I interact in real life as we are Facebook friends.

Having said this, I don't like Pickens.  I hate UGA.  I will always go out of my way to hate on them.  I think that has been abundantly clear with my time on this forum.  I am also not sure why you are saying I REFUSE to acknowledge any deficiencies in our offense.  I have even addressed them in "My Thoughts From the Stadium."  I have been critical of our OL and how I was very disappointed they did not progress like I thought they would.  Your final three sentences in your response were a little uncalled for and misinformed my friend.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I feel like I am a pretty upfront person DAG and I think you of all people should know that.  I think you can agree I don't hide anything, and how I post on here is how I interact in real life as we are Facebook friends.

Having said this, I don't like Pickens.  I hate UGA.  I will always go out of my way to hate on them.  I think that has been abundantly clear with my time on this forum.  I am also not sure why you are saying I REFUSE to acknowledge any deficiencies in our offense.  I have even addressed them in "My Thoughts From the Stadium."  I have been critical of our OL and how I was very disappointed they did not progress like I thought they would.  Your final three sentences in your response were a little uncalled for and misinformed my friend.

I would respect it a lot more if the same vigor you had against Pickens, you had for Auburn to be successful. I don't respect you hating a young man because of a college choice. Facebook friends or not. That is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

So as far as this season goes, he gets bragging rights for winning the AU/UGA game, had an outstanding personal game beating #7 in the Sugar Bowl and a #5 season-end team ranking.  So, for this season at least, his choosing UGA over AU is pretty much a wash.  

I can agree with this sentiment.  What will be interesting will be next year if Fromm declares.  Who will be throwing to him?  UGA has one scholarship QB on the roster who was a late add on NSD.  We don't know how well they will throw next year when Pickens knew Nix was the QB for his next 3 years.  It will be interesting for sure.

39 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

1. How do you know this? & 2. Where did you get it? Sounds like something I would have heard or found, which I haven't.

Regardless, GP made his decision to flip long before the end. He was just playing games the last few months of his recruitment.

Moving this topic to the Rivals section for those of us who don't want to see a thread on the traitor in the AU section.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I would respect it a lot more if the same vigor you had against Pickens, you had for Auburn to be successful. I don't respect you hating a young man because of a college choice. Facebook friends or not. That is ridiculous. 

That is fine.  But there is more to my feelings for him.  I hate for how he handled his recruitment.  I hate how he lied to the Auburn staff and played games (even UGA commentators did not like how he did this on the radio here in Atlanta).  And I do not like the school he plays for.  I also do not like how hot tempered he is on the field.

And I do want Auburn to be successful.  Why else would I travel to every single home game and get back at 2:00 AM if it is a night game?  Why else would I invest all of this money and time into Auburn?

Archived