Does it bother Gus to lose?

TigerOne

Especially in this fashion and often? I mean yeah I'm sure he wants to win but if we don't it's, Oh well, we will get better next time.

Does he look at his record and results in big games?  Does anyone talk to him about it?

There doesn't seem to be any change or corrections. The early game plan yesterday was to get the ball to Schwartz and he would use his speed to outrun Minnesota's size. Only problem after the scripted plays and the unexpected interception and muffed kickoff, everything went out the window.

Most of the bowl games this season, Auburn has flopped bigger than anyone, except maybe Mississippi St.

Does Gus realize what's going on outside of his world? All of Auburn's TD's were unusual, Kickoff return, busted play, Nix running for his life, and a drive extended due to pass interference.

He said Minnesota shortened the game by running down the play clock, well Auburn shortened in more by going 3 and out and not having any offense at all.

Does Gus look back and think what we are doing does not work, I need to do something different. C'mon man!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not hear the pc after game, but it was discussed on 24/7 that Marcello asked GM about the errattic performance of the offense in the last two years, and he responded that the offense had been "solid".....Oh well

Does it bother Gus when he loses? HECK NO. The only thing that would bother him is if Auburn was late paying him. Heck, the clown makes 7 million a year. He could really care less if the Tigers win or lose.

16 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I did not hear the pc after game, but it was discussed on 24/7 that Marcello asked GM about the errattic performance of the offense in the last two years, and he responded that the offense had been "solid".....Oh well

Gus is either crazy or speaks to save his job. Clearly your offense is not good at all. You clearly can’t run the ball. Instead of making changes to fix things he trots out the exact same player that have little success executing the exact same plays. Then thinks because he rushed for a bunch of yards against a trash team that all is well. We had 500 yards of offense against a community college and he really thinks that will carry over to SEC teams. The sad thing is we had to run wide instead of up the gut against the trash teams. Crazy, stupid, stubborn I think sums it up. The passing offense is trash to. Bo Nix basically makeS one read and scrambles just like every Gus coached QB besides Cam and NM. Most pass plays it seems the primary WR is the only one who even tries and the others just jog forward.

He’s still here because his gimmicks were fresh in 2013 and he beat Saban a few times. (Aside from the buyout)

With that said I’m still the only one on the Gus Bus.

51 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Especially in this fashion and often? I mean yeah I'm sure he wants to win but if we don't it's, Oh well, we will get better next time.

Does he look at his record and results in big games?  Does anyone talk to him about it?

There doesn't seem to be any change or corrections. The early game plan yesterday was to get the ball to Schwartz and he would use his speed to outrun Minnesota's size. Only problem after the scripted plays and the unexpected interception and muffed kickoff, everything went out the window.

Most of the bowl games this season, Auburn has flopped bigger than anyone, except maybe Mississippi St.

Does Gus realize what's going on outside of his world? All of Auburn's TD's were unusual, Kickoff return, busted play, Nix running for his life, and a drive extended due to pass interference.

He said Minnesota shortened the game by running down the play clock, well Auburn shortened in more by going 3 and out and not having any offense at all.

Does Gus look back and think what we are doing does not work, I need to do something different. C'mon man!

You're in my head. I've come to this...what incentive is there for him not to, these days?

3 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Gus is either crazy or speaks to save his job. Clearly your offense is not good at all. You clearly can’t run the ball. Instead of making changes to fix things he trots out the exact same player that have little success executing the exact same plays. Then thinks because he rushed for a bunch of yards against a trash team that all is well. We had 500 yards of offense against a community college and he really thinks that will carry over to SEC teams. The sad thing is we had to run wide instead of up the gut against the trash teams. Crazy, stupid, stubborn I think sums it up. The passing offense is trash to. Bo Nix basically makeS one read and scrambles just like every Gus coached QB besides Cam and NM. Most pass plays it seems the primary WR is the only one who even tries and the others just jog forward.

He’s still here because his gimmicks were fresh in 2013 and he beat Saban a few times. (Aside from the buyout)

With that said I’m still the only one on the Gus Bus.

I can't wrap my head around this when you fully explained what is comprehensively evident...so very well...with no hint of drip or yellow anywhere.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

Does Gus look back and think what we are doing does not work, I need to do something different.

No. He looks back and thinks that his assistants and players aren't doing what he asks them to well enough. He always thinks that his ideas and decisions are correct, but not correctly implemented. That's why he has gradually eliminated outside influences on his offense and assumed more and more control. 

That he thought the answer to his problems after last season was to take *more* control of the offense says it all. 

Sigh. He's our coach next year. Maybe Morris will get to do his job. Blah blah blah. 

Just think when your best win is barely beating an Alabama team starting a back up quarterback with next to no game experience and little practice reps with the 1’s and it saves your job.  Talk about low expectations.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Just think when your best win is barely beating an Alabama team starting a back up quarterback with next to no game experience and little practice reps with the 1’s and it saves your job.  Talk about low expectations.

And I think they had about 4 or 5 TRUE FRESHMEN starting on defense. We back! Smh

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

Clearly it doesn’t bother him enough. 

This is it exactly in my opinion. If it did he would do whatever it takes to fix the offense. He's not a good HC and he's not even a good OC at this point. He's a good person and that's about it. He does not seem to have the drive to be successful. He's got a heck of an ego because he won't turn the offense over to someone who could help.

The qualities of a good leader:

To me Gus is lacking or deficient in too many areas of leadership. He refuses surround himself with people to make him better. 

6 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

You're in my head. I've come to this...what incentive is there for him not to, these days?

^^^There it is folks^^^

He has the job security he so desperately wanted when He fleeced the AU Administration back in 2017.  He got his security blanket in the form of $49MM/7 yrs guaranteed,  he gets paid no matter what.  

This staff is riding a gravy train folks, get paid top 5 salary and can't for the life of them turn in a top 10 ranked team at the end of a season.:dead:

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

Welcome to the Gus era of AU football. WDE!

Lament early. Lament often.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Does it bother Gus to lose?

Apparently not. And losing doesn't seem to bother him when looking in the mirror the next day, either.

I jest because I'm still seething about the seeming lack of accountability anywhere...one-sided contract with irrational job security... continued playing time for missed assignments, etc. Even the dissing of the one real thing that would garner attention...loss in ticket sales...because no "true fan" would ever go that route, even for the ultimate greater good, speaking the language only the $PTB$ understand.

But I seriously bet someone has "scattered, covered, chopped" down to an art at home or close enough, so yeah.  It's hard for me to get "Vacation" 's sandwich-eating Aunt Edna out of my mind on this subject. 

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

Soooo...the addition of coach Morris indicates Malzahn was satisfied with status quo?

What exactly do you think he was allowed to do yesterday? And if not, why not? "WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

Frankly, I don't think it's a lack of motivation on his part.    He's trying everything he knows.     He just doesn't know enough and doesn't know how to effectively delegate to others who might know more than he does.     Now this doesn't explain the stinking pile that the D left behind yesterday but in general, Gus' stunted personality is his own worst enemy.

Just now, aucanucktiger said:

Soooo...the addition of coach Morris indicates Malzahn was satisfied with status quo?

He's on his 4th offensive guy (Lashley/Lindsey/Dilly/Morris), up to this point has he ever allowed one of them to take the Bus and drive it without sitting in the backseat peering over the drivers shoulder?   Like my mother in-law in the backseat offering me driving instruction while she desperately clutches the doors like she's scared to death.

Gus has had HIS staff, HIS players and he's called HIS shots for years but damned if HE didn't take 100% control of the Bus this year because HE thought it was needed.  He promised change, evolution, more creativity, less predictability on offense and he doubled down on himself like a poker champ and ended up with another season ranked outside the top 10.

12 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I jest because I'm still seething about the seeming lack of accountability anywhere...one-sided contract with irrational job security... continued playing time for missed assignments, etc. Even the dissing of the one real thing that would garner attention...loss in ticket sales...because no "true fan" would ever go that route, even for the ultimate greater good, speaking the language only the $PTB$ understand.

But I seriously bet someone has "scattered, covered, chopped" down to an art at home or close enough, so yeah.  It's hard for me to get "Vacation" 's sandwich-eating Aunt Edna out of my mind on this subject. 

Eating dog piss soaked sandwich's with a side of fear of making any serious change is what this Admin/BOT/PTB/AD are having to digest today. It's not like this staff hasn't offered the same meal over and over and over. 🤮

18 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Your tone suggests that you know absolutely nothing about the history the two of them share or why Morris was available. Or, at best, you simply failed to apply any critical thought to the available information before posting. 

41 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Ahh, a friend needed a job. the pay isn't coming out of ole Gus's pay. Malzhan needed Matt Luke a whole lot more than he needs Morris! Morris is only going to be a figure head as far as the guru Gus is concerned.  Stubborn Gus is not going to change his O play-calling, strategy, or philosophy at all. That has already been proven. Morris will not make a difference in that area of Gus's coaching.  My question is: When will the AD, the PTB, come to the conclusion that Gus needs to be replaced?!  Imho we are just 2 years too far form that being a reality.

Gus enjoys winning only if it is because his preparation and game plan is executed the way he has drawn it up.  If he loses it’s because of lack of player execution.  He has his plan for the game and he sticks to it until the bitter end and no one can change his mind.  Therefore, if he loses it’s not his fault. He is incapable of self evaluation and, with his contract, there is nobody that can suggest improvements.  He is a man without a boss and with his ego it is a very dangerous place to be if you’re Auburn.

I would love to hear Morris's honest assessment of the train wreck we saw yesterday?

Didn't hear what Steele had to say, usually he shoots straight without coach bs mumbo jumbo.

I know Stan White and Jason Campbell offer plenty of insight but can't say what they really want to. The frustration in their broadcast is hard to hide.

Archived