Does it bother Gus to lose?

TigerOne

On 1/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, TigerOne said:

Does Gus look back and think what we are doing does not work, I need to do something different. C'mon man!

Ofc Gus hates to lose. I've never understood that question of coaches. Just b/c he doesn't rant and rave, or says things that are soothing to our ears doesn't mean he doesn't hate it. I am not going to compare him to Bruce, bc they are totally different personalities with different ways to show it or say it. He knows he is in a pressure situation w/ the money he makes and the legacy he will build about himself. 

He's now been here almost 11 years as an OC and a HC, so he wants to stay and never have to leave this area I would think. It seems that coaches whether they are fired or retire from AU always seem to come back or stay permanently. 

His problem is not that he doesn't see that his offense has been stagnant or been inconsistent over the last 5-6 years. He has to or for sure his bosses have told him so.

Gus seems to have a problem w/ is how to improve the passing game and get his strong running game going again, b/c of poor OL recruiting over the last 4-5 years. 

Maybe it doesn't mesh well w/ his offensive philosophy he clings to. Maybe he is limited in his knowledge of the passing game. Maybe they practice all the plays we think NEED to be called as a game progresses, but he is just not that good of a play caller.

If he doesn't improve his offense and game day playcalling, he will eventually be replaced. The ridiculous buyout and his ALabama wins have slowed that down, much to the dismay of many AU faithful.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Ofc Gus hates to lose. I've never understood that question of coaches. Just b/c he doesn't rant and rave, or says things that are soothing to our ears doesn't mean he doesn't hate it. I am not going to compare him to Bruce, bc they are totally different personalities with different ways to show it or say it. He knows he is in a pressure situation w/ the money he makes and the legacy he will build about himself. 

He's now been here almost 11 years as an OC and a HC, so he wants to stay and never have to leave this area I would think. It seems that coaches whether they are fired or retire from AU always seem to come back or stay permanently. 

His problem is not that he doesn't see that his offense has been stagnant or been inconsistent over the last 5-6 years. He has to or for sure his bosses have told him so.

Gus seems to have a problem w/ is how to improve the passing game and get his strong running game going again, b/c of poor OL recruiting over the last 4-5 years. 

Maybe it doesn't mesh well w/ his offensive philosophy he clings to. Maybe he is limited in his knowledge of the passing game. Maybe they practice all the plays we think NEED to be called as a game progresses, but he is just not that good of a play caller.

If he doesn't improve his offense and game day playcalling, he will eventually be replaced. The ridiculous buyout and his ALabama wins have slowed that down, much to the dismay of many AU faithful.

If he does not see his problem as being stagnant, then why would you mention that other bolded stuff? Likewise, if he hates to lose and part of it is because the offense philosophy is shaky at best, why would you not go out of your way to learn from others? To me, he is fine with results, win or lose, as long as it is done the Gus Malzahn way.

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

If he does not see his problem as being stagnant, then why would you mention that other bolded stuff? Likewise, if he hates to lose and part of it is because the offense philosophy is shaky at best, why would you not go out of your way to learn from others? To me, he is find with results, win or lose, as long as it is done the Gus Malzahn way.

Yeerrrppp

If he honestly hated to lose games then he wouldn't allow crap on the field like the 5 headed QB monster/the idiotic twirly bird or running the ball +15times straight vs LSU.  If he hated losing so badly then he'd have allowed Gatewood PT in the UF/LSU game to see if some bench time for Nix to settle down and regroup would've helped.  There are so many things to point at that show Gus doesn't hate to lose or he'd have reacted and planned better to prevent it.  

Has he said 2019 was a disappointing season and he is pissed about having 4 loses again with another bowl loss?  Did he have any comments about how s***ty the 2018 season ended?  

He doesn't like losing, to suggest otherwise is silly but he doesn't hate it enough to try to win all the time. Unless he's just an idiot and thinks doubling down on something that isn't working will magically start working. Because that is truly idiotic.

He's given up in games before they've started (Clemson 12 QB experiment) or in the middle of them (Iron Bowl 2018). That's not the mark of someone who will do whatever it takes to win because they hate losing so much.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He doesn't like losing, to suggest otherwise is silly but he doesn't hate it enough to try to win all the time. Unless he's just an idiot and thinks doubling down on something that isn't working will magically start working. Because that is truly idiotic.

He's given up in games before they've started (Clemson 12 QB experiment) or in the middle of them (Iron Bowl 2018). That's not the mark of someone who will do whatever it takes to win because they hate losing so much.

Image result for should i tell him gif"

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Have we fired Gus yet?  Asking for a friend.

yes - we promoted Kodi .   

Hey it worked for Clemson when they promoted Sweeney.   Not the same???      Haha.

Since Malzahn is getting paid 7 million a year, that is the only that he's thinking about. He could careless if the football Tigers win or lose.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, DAG said:

If he does not see his problem as being stagnant, then why would you mention that other bolded stuff? Likewise, if he hates to lose and part of it is because the offense philosophy is shaky at best, why would you not go out of your way to learn from others? To me, he is fine with results, win or lose, as long as it is done the Gus Malzahn way.

Easy answer to that. In a lot of these coaches, they have a base they feel most comfortable from and some coaches have a hard time going away from that base. I feel Gus is one of those.

Haven't you ever had someone in your job, that see's how the company needs to get there, but simply doesn't have the right tools or plans to get them there. There are plenty of visionaries out there, but they don't have the mind or ability to make the plan work.

Gus, has to see what is there...and I am sure he does..based on the results. But as I stated in my comments, his philosophy and his personality AND his abilities are what keeps him from getting there.

..and to say he is fine with the results? Sorry...I don't buy that for a second.

I just think he is conflicted w/ his knowledge of his offensive schemes and his weakness of thinking fine tuning works better than whole sale offensive philosophy changes.

I think it bothers him to lose, it just doesn't bother him enough. IMHO, he feels safe in his job. I don't think he feels he's on the hot seat as much as most of us feel he is, or at least should be. I think AD Greene's statement after the 2018 season that Gus is our head coach for the foreseeable future, told Gus he's OK. I believe there are enough of the Powers That Be who are happy with AU holding it's own against Saban and Bammer, and aren't too concerned about losses to LSU or Georgia. I mean, if those folks weren't angry enough at Gus for the loss against a lousy Tennessee team AT HOME in 2018, what is going to make them angry? 

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Haven't you ever had someone in your job, that see's how the company needs to get there, but simply doesn't have the right tools or plans to get them there

Yes. That was Arkansas last year. Gus has all the ability and tools given to him to get over the top or are you arguing otherwise?

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

There are plenty of visionaries out there, but they don't have the mind or ability to make the plan work.

We aren't paying GUS 7 million dollars to be a visionary without results. This is a result oriented field. That is neither here nor there. I can tell you the best of the best coaches learn from others and aren't stringent in their methods. Who do you want to follow?

16 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

I believe there are enough of the Powers That Be who are happy with AU holding it's own against Saban and Bammer, and aren't too concerned about losses to LSU or Georgia. I mean, if those folks weren't angry enough at Gus for the loss against a lousy Tennessee team AT HOME in 2018, what is going to make them angry

:bow:

I seriously question this new PTB/BOT regime and their vision for AU football if 2018 didn't chap their asses bad enough to make a move.  

As Passthebiscuits mentioned last week, the PTB/BOT/AD/Admin are fine with the program and they think the anger is nothing more than "fans being fans."

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

:bow:

I seriously question this new PTB/BOT regime and their vision for AU football if 2018 didn't chap their asses bad enough to make a move.  

As Passthebiscuits mentioned last week, the PTB/BOT/AD/Admin are fine with the program and they think the anger is nothing more than "fans being fans."

it's going to take a 3-9 season or a large group of fans not coming to games, last but not least a scandal that he will not be able to over come.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes. That was Arkansas last year. Gus has all the ability and tools given to him to get over the top or are you arguing otherwise? Yes, Gus has the tools to get over the top.

We aren't paying GUS 7 million dollars to be a visionary without results. This is a result oriented field. That is neither here nor there. I can tell you the best of the best coaches learn from others and aren't stringent in their methods. Who do you want to follow? You totally don't understand what my answers refer to. We are not on the same wave length. I agree great coaches learn from others. Some try, but don't know how to apply them. I think you can be stringent, but success must be the result. IMHO Gus simply doesn't have the inner ability to make those adjustments to his offensive minded philosophies.  

Ok let me regroup. lol.

I am not for keeping a coach around for 7mil that brings us 8/5 or 9/4 seasons and can't get us into the playoffs so far.

All i took exception to is that I have no doubt that any coach, including GM, hates to lose. Whether its for pride, legacy, what his peers think, or simply a desire to just win. That's what the thread stated...I gave my opinion.

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What a silly question, honestly. 

The fact that it might need to be asked at all is even sadder. 

A rephrase:  "Do the predictable results of our inexplicable losses, a one-sided cushiony contract with consistently articulated PTB-support, and an observable tendency to repeat the failing strategies seem to make you wonder if CGM is okay with losing?"

Yes.

What a weird question/thread. Gus is inept and should have been fired in 2016    But Everyone cares if they lose. He is just stubborn to a fault. 
eventually it is going to cost him his job (when we can afford it).  

Go back to Heisman's quote about fumbling the ball and ask yourself if Gus hates losing as much as Heisman hated when a player fumbled the ball.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy that to fumble this football," John Heisman.

"This is not the end of the world," Gus after losing a 21 point lead in Baton Rouge in 2017.  

It's all about a winning attitude that builds a winning culture. 

Good examples: 

- Spurrier

-Knucklehead from Tuscaloosa

- Jimmie Johnson

- Bruce Pearl

- Switzer

-Knight

"Got to get better" does not equal being bothered to lose. 

For many, this thread is about his repetitive reaction to the undeniable results. His own reaction can be interpreted in many ways. No interpretation of the lack of genuine ownership is amiss, in my mind. Only straight-dealing and conscious, observable change can remove doubt, and sometimes, not even then.

Google Johari window. It's real, and it's huge. 

"Has he proven he will do what it takes (within his control and above board, of course) to win" is another way to view it. 

To me, that's NO...so far. 2020 will show and tell a lot, either way. Happy to support growth and striving for excellence from anyone. Confident to question the perception or evidence of the opposite as well....starting with myself.  I tend to expect others to do the same...🙄🦋

4 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

"Got to get better" does not equal being bothered to lose. 

For many, this thread is about his repetitive reaction to the undeniable results. His own reaction can be interpreted in many ways. No interpretation of the lack of genuine ownership is amiss, in my mind. Only straight-dealing and conscious, observable change can remove doubt, and sometimes, not even then.

Google Johari window. It's real, and it's huge. 

"Has he proven he will do what it takes (within his control and above board, of course) to win" is another way to view it. 

To me, that's NO...so far. 2020 will show and tell a lot, either way. Happy to support growth and striving for excellence from anyone. Confident to question the perception or evidence of the opposite as well....starting with myself.  I tend to expect others to do the same...🙄🦋

Interesting...and somewhat funny. I agree that winners in all aspects of life, either have it within to reach consistent success or they have the ability to do whatever it takes to win which includes making drastic philosophical changes. 

The reason I think Gus struggles to attain this is within your Johari, but in laymen terms Gus has a 'blindspot' that he can't overcome.

We see it...we discuss it...and I think within the walls Gus sweats over to make his offense work in order to consistently win, he listens to others in the past and now currently(Morris), but the results are the same so far.

But as you say...we will see in 2020..and we will be able to tell come fall if Gus has solved his 'blindspot'.

I'm sure it bothers Gus to lose, but it doesn't bother him enough to risk what he has now to make any real changes.   

8+ wins or a win over bama per season is enough for him, enough for the PTB and enough for half the fan base.  Why would he risk his job to do more?  

I think hiring Morris is Gus' last hurrah with getting an offense of substance that can score and win games against the upper echelon of the SEC.  Morris and Bicknell are Gus' last attempt to right the ship and get on a winning course. Will this happen? Not sure. I do hope the offense finds lightening in a bottle for 2020 with the addition of these 2 former coaches on his staff. 

I think he is serious in that he did not hire young kids like his previous OC, but ones with a ton of experience who actually knows how to run a spread offense and teach linemen. Only the Good Lord knows what will happen folks. I hope good things are in store for 2020, I really do.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:14 PM, gr82b4au said:

Gus is inept and should have been fired in 2016 .

LSU 2016 was the most costly win in AU history.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think he is serious in that he did not hire young kids like his previous OC, but ones with a ton of experience who actually knows how to run a spread offense and teach linemen.

So he wasn't serious about winning until this year?

Archived