Plays/Playcalls Outback Bowl

Tampa Tiger

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't know anything definitive, it just doesn't make sense to me that we'd change blocking schemes without it being Gus' decision to move that direction.

I could see it being CYA disinformation though, similar to when Rhett was being blamed for offensive woes.

The more I am thinking about it now I do believe it was more about differences in technique not scheme. 

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The more I am thinking about it now I do believe it was more about differences in technique not scheme. 

I believe you are correct.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/03/jb_grimes_all_about_detail.html

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Didn't Herb run a different blocking scheme than JB? Seems like he taught them a different technique and I remember there being articles in the early season struggles about it. Maybe I am wrong here. Seems like Hand was trying to teach them a Zone scheme when we had run a gap scheme or vice versa? Someone should be able to help me out here?

I believe this is correct. He was also fond of cross-training guys at multiple positions, which I was never a fan of. And word is he made his guys soft.

I don't think he's a particularly great offensive line coach. But what he did here two years ago is not why we just got pushed around by Minnesota. It's certainly not the main reason, at least.

Oh, and there's probably more than one reason that he suddenly made a lateral move to Texas.

Not yelling at you. I know you just asked a simple question. Just ranting a bit.

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I believe this is correct. He was also fond of cross-training guys at multiple positions, which I was never a fan of. And word is he made his guys soft.

I don't think he's a particularly great offensive line coach. But what he did here two years ago is not why we just got pushed around by Minnesota. It's certainly not the main reason, at least.

Oh, and there's probably more than one reason that he suddenly made a lateral move to Texas.

Not yelling at you. I know you just asked a simple question. Just ranting a bit.

No I fully agree he is not the main reason. He is a part of it, though. 

It ultimately all falls on Gus because he hired both guys and more importantly he is in charge of Offensive recruiting which he tanked on the OL.

I question the S/C program as well sometimes, but I do not seem to notice an issue with this except on the OL. Maybe other eyes have seen it places I haven't?

Does Gus only have one good/great coaching job in him per season? He coaches the Iron bowl like it's life or death, and the rest of the season like it doesn't matter. I know beating Bama is important instate, but does he place too much importance on winning that one game to the detriment of the rest of the season?

It seems that win keeps him employed and in good graces with the PTB, and administration.

3 hours ago, Notjeffco said:

Does Gus only have one good/great coaching job in him per season? He coaches the Iron bowl like it's life or death, and the rest of the season like it doesn't matter. I know beating Bama is important instate, but does he place too much importance on winning that one game to the detriment of the rest of the season?

It seems that win keeps him employed and in good graces with the PTB, and administration.

Gus has a definite MO:

1. Takes him 3 games to iron out who is personnel pkgs are going to be ( he is less predictable and I think that is why we had success vs Washington and Oregon.

2. He coaches his arse off against Arky and bama - results speak for themselves.

3. We beat Ole Miss, TAMU and Miss State due to better personnel, but that is changing: TAMU is quickly catching us and beating us in recruiting.  The Miss schools are about to lock down that state and both will be poaching great receivers from GA, FL and AL.  QB recruiting just got harder with Kiffen and Leach next door.

4.  LSU is always a toss up and Gus doesn't hate losing that game.  Remember when he blew the 21 point lead in Baton Rouge?  He said it "Wasn't the end of the world."  Not the attitude I want from my head coach who was undefeated.   Now that Orgeron has Joe Brady - coaching is becoming more of a factor.  Orgeron is valuing the CEO type role more. 

5.  UGA - I think we just get outcoached more often than not.  

Gus needs to make some serious changes ( OL and WR coaches) and fix the predictable play calling or he is in a world of 'hurt'.  even the Minn coach said we are very predictable, BEFORE the bowl game - ballsy.  

I honestly hope C Morris can help with with this stuff.

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gus needs to make some serious changes ( OL and WR coaches) and fix the predictable play calling or he is in a world of 'hurt'.  even the Minn coach said we are very predictable, BEFORE the bowl game - ballsy.  

I watched a pre-game presser with both coaches and Fleck was praising Gus up one side and down the other.  Saying that he didn’t know what to expect from Gus’ offense when he has this much time to prepare.  Gus’ expression was that of agreement and was soaking up all the praise.

Fleck played him and Gus fell for it.  The game was over at that point.  I want Fleck as our coach.

ETA:  I totally agree about the difficulty Gus will have recruiting quality QB’s with the new coaches in the SEC.  We just went down 2 spots on QB’s priority list.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, copper4eva said:

On our first series we ran 3 plays. Jet sweep, inside zone, fade.

Second series we ran a hitch to Schwartz twice. The first hitch route was a pass pro play. The second was a RPO with inside zone blocking. Looks the same, because both went to Schwartz, but different plays. The 6th offensive play is again similar, but actually different. It's an RPO with inside zone blocking, but Schwartz is running a bubble screen rather than a quick hitch. I'd like to say that if Nix handed it off to DJ that play would've been a 1st down. He misread the outside backer imo.

When then ran inside zone (this is the first time we actually repeated a play) then ran a pass on 3rd and 5, Nix scrambled though, despite perfect protection.

8 offensive plays, at least 7 different play calls in our first two offensive drives. Idk what OP means by we're only running about 5 plays. Keep in mind, a lot of plays look similar, like the two completed hitches to Schwartz. The result was the same, but one was clearly an RPO, and one was clearly a pass pro. I'm not gonna bother going through the 3rd drive in detail, but we ran a comeback route for a 1st down (yet another new play). We ran a new RPO with buck sweep blocking and an out route (both new).

The bottom line. We lost this game because our OL sucks (nothing new there), and our defense got severely out schemed, and at times manhandled. Also, we can't stretch the field. We ran very few deep balls, and threw to almost none of them I think. So Minnesota stacked the box, and our already bad OL is now being out numbered.

While agree with some of your points, it is well documented on this site and in actual watched games, that Malzahn is either incapable of making offensive adjustments at any time in a game. True, our O Line was bad, but over the last few seasons, the play calling is vanilla, on an 8th or 9th grade level and has been this way since 2009 or 10 when he came on board. There is ZERO creativity and now since so many other programs are running similar offenses, the bus is stalled in a junior high offense due to the inability or lack of innovation or smarts for him to change. AU is just stuck with a very mediocre coach who has absolutely no business running what very could be an elite program. 

On 1/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, twilli13 said:

Online and qb play are difference in 2014 and now. Nick Marshall could consistently hit the deep ball and was a better runner than Nix. We actually ran some true zone read then. That and online was waaaaay better at run blocking. Gus's offense is NOT good without at least an adequate run game. Yet the 'offensive genius' made his worst hires at the coaching position he probably needs the most for his offense to work. It's not rocket science folks. 

Gus's personnel and staff decisions are crazier than anything. Cheaped out on the OL coach, basically ignored the OL position when recruiting for years, and got a QB who isn't the smartest runner and works better on intermediate and middle routes (and is closer to a "gunslinger" than not). I don't know how he's still a top tier SEC coach but he is

On 1/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, McLoofus said:

He was also fond of cross-training guys at multiple positions,

I think with the few options Gus seems to give his guys to work with, you kinda have to be prepared to have the shelf a little bare. 

Archived