Specific strategies you don't understand

cole256

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not the point, Kodi now feels confident enough to say something to the master.  He has learned enough that he feels compelled to say something.  How many times have we seen the sidelines silent when something should have been said.  Two examples come to mind; UGA 2016 and not replacing SW and the 2016 Clemson game.

Kodi moving on was like CCL telling the master he wanted a little more say about the offense and the next year he is gone.  I’m not implying he is on anybody’s radar.  If he wants to expand his resume’ he may consider it, but he would have to take a huge pay cut like CRL did.

I don't really believe that Kodi is questioning Gus on the sideline. I think the heated exchanges we have seen are more about Kodi failing at his job of getting the personnel substituted on the field that Gus wants. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I don't really believe that Kodi is questioning Gus on the sideline. I think the heated exchanges we have seen are more about Kodi failing at his job of getting the personnel substituted on the field that Gus wants. 

So neither are the coaches executing...

6 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I agree with some of this and strongly disagree with some of this.

Your first two points (substitutions and poor execution) are valid complaints. 

I agree that allowing a QB to audible would help. But you can’t really do that with a freshman. That’s something that’s common in the NFL and done occasionally with more experienced college quarterbacks.  We started to let Stidham do some of that in 2018, and it didn’t work out very well. 

As for intermediate passes, that seemed to improve drastically this year. We’ve thrown more crossing routes, drag routes, slants, and hitches that we have in years past. Prior to 2017, most of our pass plays were screens, verticals, posts, and deep wheel routes. We either threw behind the line or to the end zone. With Lindsey, we added new passing concepts, and I honestly think we used those better this year than last year. The irony is that the thing we used to not use at all seemed to be the only thing working. On the deep passes, Bo doesn’t get any time in the pocket. When he does, he either overthrows or the receiver drops it. The offensive line did nothing to support the interior run game. The receivers were terrible blocking on the perimeter. All we could do semi-reliably was throw underneath coverage.

If you will just stop the one of two run plays Gus is gonna run, without Cam or Marshall, he will call himself out of the plays you are giving him. Nix could have had 300 yards passing if we throw the 7-10 yard out on the weak side and the slant on the strong side. And do it till they come out of that cover two crap they ran.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I can't believe you haven't seen me trying to address that the last few years

Ha, we’ve all seen it my friend.  :) I was talking about in this thread. I hadn’t seen that issue be addressed even though it has been discussed at length many times over and has been one of my biggest pet peeves about Gus. 

I'm sure this has all been hashed out in the previous 5 1/2 pages, but i'll give it a go:

1) Lack of improvement as a whole. Does the AU team that played 1/1/20 beat the AU team that played Oregon?

2) The offensive "tells": When our TB bunny hops, he's getting the ball 98% of the time. When 22 is in the game, he's being thrown to. When 8 goes in motion, it's a sweep. When Boobee is in the wildcat he's either faking to #8 to the right and then running right or giving to #8 running right. Fake Statue of Liberty going to the deep post.RUNNING UP THE MIDDLE ALL THE FREAKING TIME AFTER A 1ST DOWN.  3rd down one read throws to Seth. I give up....

3) Trick plays. Who the hell runs a dbl reverse pass on 3rd and 4 or 5 in the 1st half in a tied game (I believe at the time)? Who fakes a punt in the situation we did against Minnesota. Just sends an awful message to the team that you just can't line up and win your battle. Just weak.

4) We threw zero passes over the middle on 1/1/20. Our lone pass TD came on a scramble.

5) I'm so tired of 4-5 loss seasons and getting whipped by UGA and LSU all the freaking time. Beating the turds should not be the goal.

I'm so ready to move on from CGM. I cannot understand the support for him.  

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

In the bowl game Kodi was talking to Boobee and Gus.  I agree with the conversation in the IB, but that conversation Kodi seemed to stick up for himself.  Growing a pair, I hope.

I don’t understand anything the man does but by golly he gets results! 

Before Gus we dreamed of magical seasons and feared those 3-9 seasons. 

Well never fear or hope again! With Gus we know exactly how our season will go! 

4 losses guaranteed! No need to hope or worry! Its like knowing what your Christmas presents are before you open them! 

Its great! I’ve already pre purchased tix for next year’s Music City, Outback, Gator and just in case...Birmingham Bowl to beat the rush of happy, excited Auburn fans who can’t wait to watch Ol Four loss in another big bowl game!

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

4 losses guaranteed! No need to hope or worry! Its like knowing what your Christmas presents are before you open them! 

Its great! I’ve already pre purchased tix for next year’s Music City, Outback, Gator and just in case...Birmingham Bowl to beat the rush of happy, excited Auburn fans who can’t wait to watch Ol Four loss in another big bowl game!

I am waiting for the, "But wait! Order now and you'll also get..."

🦅

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I am waiting for the, "But wait! Order now and you'll also get..."

🦅

Act now because if you order in the even years you will receive one additional loss at no extra charge. That's right, five losses for the same four loss expectation. 

43 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Act now because if you order in the even years you will receive one additional loss at no extra charge. That's right, five losses for the same four loss expectation. 

Image result for ronco products mr. 

The "I Wish" Contract.

8 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Judging from the overhead stadium shots during the game, there's still plenty Auburn tickets available for this past Wed's Outback Bowl.

Gus believes our passing game is only at or behind the LOS, or outside the numbers along the sidelines. The middle of the field is useless to him. 

With so little real estate available, no wonder he has trouble fitting in many receivers.  There just isn't any physical space....  ;)

• WarTiger changed the title to Specific strategies you don't understand

;D

On 1/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, McLoofus said:
On 1/3/2020 at 11:18 AM, Tiger said:

To stay in line with the theme of this thread, I don't understand why Gus doesn't use curse words. He's not a HS gym and history teacher anymore it's ok to use colorful language in the big boy world of college football in the SEC.

Ya know who fires up his players? Ed O. "R*ll Tide? **** YOU!"

Or the bama S&C guy saying to the players before uga stupidly did a blackout against them, "You know why they're wearing black Saturday? Because they're going to their own mother***in' funeral." I never hated them so much in my life as when I saw that, because that was 100% bad ass and awesome.

I get it, he doesn't have to curse to fire up his guys. But weeks like this, after yet another terrible loss? Yeah, we get to poke a little.

image.png

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

;D

image.png

Our kids make us use a LOT of these words....

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Our kids make us use a LOT of these words....

Yes they do.  I guess I'd rather have them repeating these...learned verbatim...than the alternative!  (Teachers hear it all...)

My will to try and use these alternatives has been tested over the last few years by Malzahn and the final four ref....

I cannot confirm nor deny whether or not said will was indeed broken on some occasions.   :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 3:01 PM, ToraGirl said:

;D

image.png

I make my way to Sunny Beach ever so often. :) 

53 minutes ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Gus sends the message to his team that his superior tactical mind is needed to out trickerate the opponent, as his players are not good enough to man up and win the play.

I may borrow that one. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, AdamsHouseCat said:

Gus sends the message to his team that his superior tactical mind is needed to out trickerate the opponent, as his players are not good enough to man up and win the play.

Exactly what happened against Clemson in 2016. Gus conceded the game before it started. Disgusting. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly what happened against Clemson in 2016. Gus conceded the game before it started. Disgusting. 

Gus had a good game plan to beat them Sunday through Thursday...then Friday came

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Gus had a good game plan to beat them Sunday through Thursday...then Friday came

That, more than anything, disallows me from ever giving Gus the benefit of the doubt. That lets us know that almost no scenario- no level of poor football judgment- is out of the realm of possibility. 

I don't understand the strategy of paying a guy $7M per year for a minimum of 4 losses, each year.  That's a dumb strategy..... and poor tactics too!

Archived