Specific strategies you don't understand

cole256

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm wondering why this thread hasn't been locked by now....:hellyeah:

Could be because it hasn't become a has-been yet. Much as we look forward to it. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:
4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm wondering why this thread hasn't been locked by now....:hellyeah:

Could be because it hasn't become a has-been yet. Much as we look forward to it. 

Lots of humor still can be derived from the subject. :trampoline:

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Lots of humor still can be derived from the subject. :trampoline:

In the off-season, ALMOST anything goes. I have resisted the urge to start or contribute to AU Lookalike threads, even special PTB-editions. 😁 It would feel therapeutic at times. Satire often saves...or at least makes things more digestible.

This thread...among other things...

71kQeZ3KWwL._SL1500_.jpg

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Page 7? Shoot. Atreyu ain't even saddled up that Luck Dragon yet... 

I knew an Atreyu...yes, she did. #mama

On 1/28/2020 at 10:34 AM, Farmer Brown said:

A 7 mil coach shouldn't have to be questioned so often, concerning his strategy and tendencies. The man is nuts some time. 

I do feel like we as a group get a little too wrapped up in what he's being paid. We could pay him 10 or we could pay him 5 and the issues are the issues. I know people like to think that 'top 10 salary equals top 10 results' but if you look across so many other professions or even just in sports, a guy is paid what he was able to negotiate, not some kind of a direct ranking in relation to his peers. 

18 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

a guy is paid what he was able to negotiate, not some kind of a direct ranking in relation to his peers

The question is should he continue to get paid that, i.e. remain employed, once he's demonstrated that his ceiling isn't commensurate with his salary. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The question is should he continue to get paid that, i.e. remain employed, once he's demonstrated that his ceiling isn't commensurate with his salary. 

I agree the problem is you still have to pay him a big chunk of change if you let him go and probably pay the new guy a similar amount at the same time. That is why merdiocracy has kept Gus here plus a key win against somebody like bama or like a couple years ago against Georgia and bama.

Before anybody says mediocracy is not a word I know but it fits here.

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree the problem is you still have to pay him a big chunk of change if you let him go and probably pay the new guy a similar amount at the same time. That is why merdiocracy has kept Gus here plus a key win against somebody like bama or like a couple years ago against Georgia and bama.

Before anybody says mediocracy is not a word I know but it fits here.

With you. Especially on mediocracy. Perfect word. 

1 hour ago, VAtiger12 said:

I do feel like we as a group get a little too wrapped up in what he's being paid. We could pay him 10 or we could pay him 5 and the issues are the issues. I know people like to think that 'top 10 salary equals top 10 results' but if you look across so many other professions or even just in sports, a guy is paid what he was able to negotiate, not some kind of a direct ranking in relation to his peers. 

This staff gets a top 5 salary, pulls in top 10 recruiting classes and can't for the life of them turn in a top 10 ranked team at the end of the year.  

Someone (Fred?) posted a few weeks ago, Auburn is stuck in a one sided contract with a ridiculous buyout, with a mediocre HC who has zero accountability.  It is what it is though and fans just have to suck it up and live through it.  That won't stop the group from critiquing, questioning and complaining about the situation.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

This staff gets a top 5 salary, pulls in top 10 recruiting classes and can't for the life of them turn in a top 10 ranked team at the end of the year.  

Someone (Fred?) posted a few weeks ago, Auburn is stuck in a one sided contract with a ridiculous buyout, with a mediocre HC who has zero accountability.  It is what it is though and fans just have to suck it up and live through it.  That won't stop the group from critiquing, questioning and complaining about the situation.

Having a team ranked in the top 10 and actually having a top 10 team are not the same. I'd argue that if you swapped Auburn and Clemson's schedules this year we'd have been 13-0 and in the playoffs. 

Before people jump on me, I'm not saying we are Clemson or that we would have beaten them or what have you. But the poll is based on the season and schedule you played. A couple of SEC teams could have walked through the ACC and even Big 12 unscathed this year. (I'd argue also the Pac 12 but that's probably up for discussion) So teams with great records are going to get a great end of season ranking. That doesn't in any way mean they are a top 10 team with respect to how good they are. 

28 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

Having a team ranked in the top 10 and actually having a top 10 team are not the same. I'd argue that if you swapped Auburn and Clemson's schedules this year we'd have been 13-0 and in the playoffs. 

Before people jump on me, I'm not saying we are Clemson or that we would have beaten them or what have you. But the poll is based on the season and schedule you played. A couple of SEC teams could have walked through the ACC and even Big 12 unscathed this year. (I'd argue also the Pac 12 but that's probably up for discussion) So teams with great records are going to get a great end of season ranking. That doesn't in any way mean they are a top 10 team with respect to how good they are. 

And got rocked by tOSU. That is the difference. I doubt Clemson is losing to UF or UGA. Highly doubt they lose to an injured Bama team either.

17 hours ago, DAG said:

And got rocked by tOSU. That is the difference. I doubt Clemson is losing to UF or UGA. Highly doubt they lose to an injured Bama team either.

I would agree that OSU probably rocks us. But look at the playoffs for most of the years it's been in existence so far and you'll see a lot of really ugly first round matchups. So there are plenty of teams getting high (top 4) rankings and not really being a top 4 team. 

I'm not wanting to get too deep into the weeds on this, but this is where I'm coming back to the complaint about salary. People complain about the Top 10 salary and I just don't think that really has any bearing. If he was make $5m a year and we were getting these results would we all be content on the board that "hey we aren't beating LSU and UGA but we aren't paying like them either." .. doubtful. 

I believe he makes the 3rd most in the SEC West and I'd say during his tenure we have been about the 3rd best team in the West. Does that justify his salary?

If he was make $5m a year and we were getting these results would we all be content on the board that "hey we aren't beating LSU and UGA but we aren't paying like them either." .. doubtful. 

No, we'd be saying let's find a better coach and pay him $7 million a year.

I believe he makes the 3rd most in the SEC West and I'd say during his tenure we have been about the 3rd best team in the West. Does that justify his salary?

No, it doesn't.

See, your top 10/top 10 point is partially valid. It's true that it's misleading when most of the top 10 consists of teams on our schedule every year. (Even our OoC schedule most of the last 5 years. Clemson twice, Washington and Oregon? Seriously?!?!)

But what you are failing to acknowledge is that it's not simply a matter of Gus losing to better teams. What you really need to ask yourself- and it really doesn't seem like you have- is whether or not Gus is consistently doing even a pretty good job of preparing game plans and preparing his team for every opponent , while occasionally losing because the other team is simply too talented. The answer to that is a resounding NO

We put up 117 total yards of offense against Clemson in 2017. With Kerryon Johnson and Jarrett Stidham. Do you realize how bad that is? Did we field an adequately prepared team with a good game plan and simply lose to a more talented team? Absolutely not! Gus absolutely blew it. It would be a massive insult to high school coaches to say he coached like one that night. He humiliated everyone associated with the program with that game plan. Meanwhile, his chief subordinate on the defensive side of the ball coached his ass off and essentially dominated Clemson's offense. And that same scenario has played out to varying degrees several times against several opponents the last 5 years. Enough times, in fact, that they outnumber the times that we've been able to say, "You know what, Gus did a great job in that game." And that's not even getting into the blown lead against LSU in 2017, the Tennessee loss, the Jeremy Johnson miscalculation, the WhirlyBird/Coxcat game...

It's not that we're not getting top 10 results in the polls. We're not getting top 10 quality play from our team. We're getting top 10 play from our defense and bottom 50 play from our offense. And about that offense. That matters. Big time. You-know-who is in complete control of our offense, until he actually hands the keys over to Morris. And then after Morris, who knows?

Regardless, I could probably name over a dozen games in the last 5 years that we lost specifically because our head coach sank the offense. I could also likely name a dozen wins we got despite our offense.

For $7 million dollars? Hell no. I don't care about going rates or top 10 anything. He doesn't deserve to be paid that much money. We can do better. The Morris hire might save him for a couple years and then we'll be right back where we started. 

58 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I would agree that OSU probably rocks us. But look at the playoffs for most of the years it's been in existence so far and you'll see a lot of really ugly first round matchups. So there are plenty of teams getting high (top 4) rankings and not really being a top 4 team. 

I'm not wanting to get too deep into the weeds on this, but this is where I'm coming back to the complaint about salary. People complain about the Top 10 salary and I just don't think that really has any bearing. If he was make $5m a year and we were getting these results would we all be content on the board that "hey we aren't beating LSU and UGA but we aren't paying like them either." .. doubtful. 

Please read above. @McLoofus successfully responds to your questions.  Yes there are really ugly first round exits and those fans usually go off on their perspective coach. OU fans are not happy with Lincoln Riley right now because they have spotted a trend, even if he gets to the playoffs every year. A good bit of our fanbase is totally okay with the results we have, if we are beating Bama and staying out of trouble. This is the problem. 

Personally, I don't care if Gus is making $7M per year or $7 per hour.

My problem is that firing him is impossible due to the stupid buyout and PTB who are satisfied with poor on-field performance.  THAT is the issue at hand.

Outside of year one, if he would always beat the teams he should, go 50/50 against comparable teams (*cough* Auburn's key rivals *cough*), win a SEC Championship here & there and make occasional playoff appearances, then they could pay him a gazillion euros per year for all I care.

And as far as comparing Auburn-Clemson and their respective schedules, that doesn't matter either.  Dabo has his teams prepared for the playoffs.  Gus' offense would still be Gus' offense.....only he'd be overconfident going into the playoffs and would make Auburn Football look even MORE stupid, on a national stage, than he already makes them look on a regional/conference stage.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:38 PM, AUsince72 said:

And as far as comparing Auburn-Clemson and their respective schedules, that doesn't matter either.  Dabo has his teams prepared for the playoffs.  Gus' offense would still be Gus' offense.....only he'd be overconfident going into the playoffs and would make Auburn Football look even MORE stupid, on a national stage, than he already makes them look on a regional/conference stage.

I shudder to think about what a top level opposing coach and team would do to our offense with a month and change to prepare for a playoff game against us. I mean we've seen what the UCFs and Minnesotas of the world do to us with that long to prepare and we have exponentially more talent.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I shudder to think about what a top level opposing coach and team would do to our offense with a month and change to prepare for a playoff game against us. I mean we've seen what the UCFs and Minnesotas of the world do to us with that long to prepare and we have exponentially more talent.

See the Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma! lol.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I tried to forget that one 😕

DAT KERRYON JUMP PASS THOUGH >>>>>>>>>> lol.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

DAT KERRYON JUMP PASS THOUGH >>>>>>>>>> lol.

Embarassing we did that to close the game smh. Even Jalen Harris was probably pissed about that and he never caught passes lol

Archived