Mississippi State fires Moorhead

GwillMac6

MSU has to be a tossup with Arky as the worst coaching job in the SEC ....and maybe even worse with it's proximity to bama.    Anyone going there should want a long term contract.   

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

MSU has to be a tossup with Arky as the worst coaching job in the SEC ....and maybe even worse with it's proximity to bama.    Anyone going there should want a long term contract.   

I always felt like KY or Vandy are the worst.  I know they are in the SECE and that should be a positive, but...  With Vandy the academics make it almost impossible to compete and with KY there is not a great recruiting pitch.  We are a basketball school and we know it...

JMO

20 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I always felt like KY or Vandy are the worst.  I know they are in the SECE and that should be a positive, but...  With Vandy the academics make it almost impossible to compete and with KY there is not a great recruiting pitch.  We are a basketball school and we know it...

JMO

Could be true but I was thinking of "expectations" and being in the SEC west..... UK has found a way to recruit the mid west and is doing better. Vandy?   they just want to live off their share of the SEC pie that get's split every year. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'd say right now it is no toss up. Arkansas next year will probably go three years in a row without winning a sec game. Their talent level is the worst I've ever seen in my 30 years for a sec school.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

They can't. MS allows up to 4 years max

50 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hearing crazy Todd Grantham may be a candidate

😳Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. That might work out but that sounds like disaster in the making to me.

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

They can't. MS allows up to 4 years max

That would be better than poor old Morehead got.....but certainly cuts down on their options to attract a guy who would be able to turn things around.   Really would like to see them, OM and Arky be able to shake up LSU and Bama and TAMU a couple times a year. 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Could be true but I was thinking of "expectations" and being in the SEC west..... UK has found a way to recruit the mid west and is doing better. Vandy?   they just want to live off their share of the SEC pie that get's split every year. 

Agreed. Arkansas fans in particular have a very inflated opinion about their program's place in the pecking order. 

Also, Nashville would be a fantastic place to live while coaching football. And I find Lexington to be rather nice.

Fayetteville's beautiful, but again with the expectations. Starkville is not beautiful, and again with the expectations. And like you said, Vandy and Kentucky have a couple more manageable outs on their SEC East schedules. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. Arkansas fans in particular have a very inflated opinion about their program's place in the pecking order. 

Waaaaat?  They be a blue blood program.... jes ask 'em! 

State is in a rough spot. Folks here in Mississippi seem pretty confident that it's a three-man finalist group (after Napier turned them down and Judge leveraged them to get the Giants to act faster):  Grantham, Sark, and Brian Anderson. Whoever Cohen likes more in that group is going to get the job offer.

Personal opinion, that is a horrible list. Grantham is a cartoon. He's like a crazier, less successful version of Will Muschamp, and rumors around here are that he wants Brian Johnson to come as his OC. That's brutal. Sark is essentially a bad version of Kiffin, which makes that the ultimate little brother hire. Then, you have Anderson. I mean, he's a lesser Larry Fedora. He peaked at 9-3 at Arkansas State four years ago and is a 7-5 metronome since then. 

Given that list, Sark is probably the best hire. Assuming he stays dry, he could do some good things every few years. He's no Mullen, but he's probably a small step up from Moorhead. If he brings Tosh Lupoi as a DC, that's a disaster, but on the whole, Sark is probably their best option at this point.

The comedy of Mississippi State and Ole Miss hiring two divorced, single-ready-to-mingle, alcoholic (or in Lane's case, potentially alcoholic) coaches is not lost on anyone. It could be a wild few years over here.

Mike Leach has interviewed with Mississippi State. Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin battling it out in Mississippi would be worth the price of admission.

I believe the interview occurred in Key West on a Pirate Ship.

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

Mike Leach has interviewed with Mississippi State. Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin battling it out in Mississippi would be worth the price of admission.

I believe the interview occurred in Key West on a Pirate Ship.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Great hire by State.

From Pullman to Starkvegas…..no worries about culture change in this move....very similar schools...

Good hire by MSU...and should be interesting for the SEC W.  

13 minutes ago, Paladin said:

It's happening

I think this is a great hire for State. Get a guy who has a system that can work even if you don't have the best players. Who knows if he will actually be successful but i like his chances and give props to State for thinking outside the box with this hire. The Air Raid is back in the SEC!

Archived