Season (non-conference) Review

JwgreDeux

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

4 th most valuable player is absolutely ludicrous though. He's more than that off defense alone. Him or Okoro and arguments could be made for either one

Thank you so much for saying this and giving the praise to Wiley. I'm not sure if people just expect more from Wiley then they do everyone else on the team but there is no way that Wiley isn't top two most valuable on this team. J'von's value comes because we have no one else to play the 1, Wiley's value comes from the production on the court. I spend more time watching Wiley then most players on this team and I've seen him bust his ass in the paint on both ends and I want to scream when I watch him get good position only to be ignored by our guards. In all of the time that I've watched him, he's never taken 1 second of a play off. On fast-breaks he's trailing the guards by only a couple of feet, he plays defense without getting into foul trouble, and IMO he's one of the most reliable FT shooter we have or at least the one that I'm most comfortable with at the end of the game.

Since the CSUN game (which was the 4th game of the year) he has scored double-digits in points all but one game, he's had 8+ rebounds in all but 1 game, and over the past 5 games he's averaging only 1 TO per game while getting constantly fouled. Even Pearl has mentioned it several times that Wiley gets fouled a lot and it's not called. Add in his 3.75 blocks per game over those same 5 games and him not getting more than 2 fouls. In addition to all of that, the worst game he had BY FAR this year was the South Alabama game which was the the game that was the closest to losing. IMO Wiley has been the 2nd most consistent player on both offense and defense behind Okoro. He might not get 20 points in a game due to his minutes but for all but 2 games he's been good to get you 10+ points and 8+ rebounds with a couple of blocks thrown in without fouling and working his ass off on every possession.

Edit: Also, just want to throw this on the bottom. I say all of that not to discredit any of the other young men on the team but more to just point out just how good Wiley has been this year. I love everyone on the team and we wouldn't be undefeated without all of them playing the way they've been playing.

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Thank you so much for saying this and giving the praise to Wiley. I'm not sure if people just expect more from Wiley then they do everyone else on the team but there is no way that Wiley isn't top two most valuable on this team. J'von's value comes because we have no one else to play the 1, Wiley's value comes from the production on the court. I spend more time watching Wiley then most players on this team and I've seen him bust his ass in the paint on both ends and I want to scream when I watch him get good position only to be ignored by our guards. In all of the time that I've watched him, he's never taken 1 second of a play off. On fast-breaks he's trailing the guards by only a couple of feet, he plays defense without getting into foul trouble, and IMO he's one of the most reliable FT shooter we have or at least the one that I'm most comfortable with at the end of the game.

Since the CSUN game (which was the 4th game of the year) he has scored double-digits in points all but one game, he's had 8+ rebounds in all but 1 game, and over the past 5 games he's averaging only 1 TO per game while getting constantly fouled. Even Pearl has mentioned it several times that Wiley gets fouled a lot and it's not called. Add in his 3.75 blocks per game over those same 5 games and him not getting more than 2 fouls. In addition to all of that, the worst game he had BY FAR this year was the South Alabama game which was the the game that was the closest to losing. IMO Wiley has been the 2nd most consistent player on both offense and defense behind Okoro. He might not get 20 points in a game due to his minutes but for all but 2 games he's been good to get you 10+ points and 8+ rebounds with a couple of blocks thrown in without fouling and working his ass off on every possession.

It's just like you said, what he does in production while not even getting constantly fed the ball is remarkable. Not to mention I see a bunch of plays when Okoro and McCormick get to the goal where Wiley is sealing the opposing teams big guy and probably best shot blocker away from them so they can get clean lay ups. There's no stat or anything that will show it but make no mistake it's game changing plays.

Last year in the tournament, especially against North Carolina he did massive damage to teams entire front court. And to be as big as he is you have to give him all the credit in the world to his conditioning as we play more on the quicker side as far as pace goes. It just really take a mind that knows the game to see his impact. Anybody that's played against high competition knows how much a good big man helps a team. If Wiley got hurt right now we'd be in a world of trouble

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's just like you said, what he does in production while not even getting constantly fed the ball is remarkable. Not to mention I see a bunch of plays when Okoro and McCormick get to the goal where Wiley is sealing the opposing teams big guy and probably best shot blocker away from them so they can get clean lay ups. There's no stat or anything that will show it but make no mistake it's game changing plays.

Last year in the tournament, especially against North Carolina he did massive damage to teams entire front court. And to be as big as he is you have to give him all the credit in the world to his conditioning as we play more on the quicker side as far as pace goes. It just really take a mind that knows the game to see his impact. Anybody that's played against high competition knows how much a good big man helps a team. If Wiley got hurt right now we'd be in a world of trouble

I've never played basketball other than at a gym in middle school and I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the game but even I can see just how important he is. Agree with his conditioning especially with all of the work he does in the post game and fighting to get position. I watch him so often, on offense especially, and I understand why he can only get 20 minutes per game because he never stops. If he got the same minutes as the other starters he would be averaging 15.5 points and 15 rebounds. Another thing that I wish our guards would do is drop a pass to Wiley when they drive. So many times he's standing there wide open for a dunk and the guards go in and get blocked or miss a contested layup. If we had guards that could pass the ball to him on time, I think he would be able to score close to 20 a game.

9 hours ago, gravejd said:

Javon mcCormick has definitely earned the right to be in the most important player discussion.... just saying 🙂

I would agree. We have options in the front court. He is our only option as a true 1 that we have seen. 

40 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I would agree. We have options in the front court. He is our only option as a true 1 that we have seen. 

Deux, I greatly appreciate your posts. Again, Good to have knowledgeable input here. Keep it up and WDE!!!

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I've never played basketball other than at a gym in middle school and I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the game but even I can see just how important he is. Agree with his conditioning especially with all of the work he does in the post game and fighting to get position. I watch him so often, on offense especially, and I understand why he can only get 20 minutes per game because he never stops. If he got the same minutes as the other starters he would be averaging 15.5 points and 15 rebounds. Another thing that I wish our guards would do is drop a pass to Wiley when they drive. So many times he's standing there wide open for a dunk and the guards go in and get blocked or miss a contested layup. If we had guards that could pass the ball to him on time, I think he would be able to score close to 20 a game.

Even in the NBA you saw how golden state fell off a bit when javel mcgee left and coincidentally Lakers started playing better. But hey what can you do other than explain it? 

59 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Deux, I greatly appreciate your posts. Again, Good to have knowledgeable input here. Keep it up and WDE!!!

I agree! I appreciate him as well. Keep it up JD!

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

All this is true. He helps us a ton for sure and makes others jobs easier no doubt. Would hate to lose him. But we have options in the post, we have pretty much none at other spots. 

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

I agree! I appreciate him as well. Keep it up JD!

🤔 Appreciate the discussion as always Cole

Archived