direction of our program

tigerman1186

49 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Im not sure what you define as success butDee Ford, Jonathan Jones, Carlton Davis, and Peyton Barber just to name a few are having success to me. 

I’m no stat guy, but Dee Ford only played under GM during the 13 season. Barber had one decent year and left and has carved out a niche for himself, with TB. I am speaking only to those since GM took over and on offense that have done much in the NFL, which is the end goal for most elite athletes in college at major schools. Let’s be honest, three of the four you named are defensive guys. We all know GM has zero to do with their success. Plus, Barber ran for the hills after one 1,100 yard season. We sorely miss Eddie Gran. Look at what he did with a receiver in Bowden at KY this year. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the last 6 seasons AU is 50-29.   That is 8.33 wins and 4.83 losses per season.

26-22 in SEC play over that same time span.

How do you think I feel about that?

notGreatBob.gif

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Over the last 6 seasons AU is 50-29.   That is 8.33 wins and 4.83 losses per season.

26-22 in SEC play over that same time span.

How do you think I feel about that?

notGreatBob.gif

So in essence we owe him about 1 million per each previous SEC win if we want to get rid of him this year. 

r8lp8h3d7uhx.gif

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Gus is leading it into destruction.

Might be for the best just to give us justification to get rid of him, no?

14 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I’m no stat guy, but Dee Ford only played under GM during the 13 season. Barber had one decent year and left and has carved out a niche for himself, with TB. I am speaking only to those since GM took over and on offense that have done much in the NFL, which is the end goal for most elite athletes in college at major schools. Let’s be honest, three of the four you named are defensive guys. We all know GM has zero to do with their success. Plus, Barber ran for the hills after one 1,100 yard season. We sorely miss Eddie Gran. Look at what he did with a receiver in Bowden at KY this year. 

I took your opinion as the program as a whole not one side of the ball. Barber left early for financial reasons, I don't think he was running from AU. 

28 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I also believe we have far too many in the fan base that are just satisfied with the tailgating, and GameDay experience, and don't seem to care as much about the winning, and losing.

Don't forget about the do good faction. The people that for years have been jealous of Alabama. So their response to bama fans bragging on another title was to say, "AU is not just a football factory we focus on church and academics, not football".  To keep up this pretense of being infallible they will insist AU never fire a coach unless he does something immoral. These people will swear up and down a coaches first job is to raise children, introduce them to Christ and then coach football.  Now these same people really want to beat Alabama more than anything in the world, but they want it to look like it is a no effort, by-product of just being an Auburn man.  Beating Alabama so they can lift their nose at their neighbor is their biggest goal. But never say winning titles is important. That would imply AU doesn't have the same amount of titles because of work and effort.  Instead these people will fight for hired guns like Tuberville and Malzahn by saying something like, "The goal is not to win football games, rather the goal is to produce good kids and participate in competitive games".

I'm going to get blasted for this. But there is truth here.

Apathy. Defines my view of Auburn football since the end of 2014 when it became obvious to me CGM was over his head and unwilling to make adjustments. I do not think the direction of the program is good or really bad, it's just stuck in a rut. Same routine over and over. We're a 4-5 loss power nearly every year.

I also believe the "he's learning on the job" argument is ridiculous. We're now heading into year 8. 

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

Is Auburn still an upper tier SEC program?  When you see things like the 3-12 record vs UGA which ties AU with Vandy over the past 15 years then I think that is a fair question. Think about this.

1933-1981 - 1 SEC title (1957). SEC started playing in 1933. 

1983-1989 - 4 SEC titles under Pat Dye (1983, 1987, 1988, 1989)

1990 to Present (30 years) - 3 SEC titles (2004, 2010, 2013)

Auburn basketball suffered for years because the administration did not care if the program competed or not. When they actually gave the program a facility equal to other conference schools and paid for a respected coach the program became a winner. AU hired on the cheap and went with Kmart special coaches before they hired Bruce Pearl. Since Pat Dye the same can be said for all football head coach hires. Auburn's facilities are behind schools with less revenue such as Clemson. Now I feel like Auburn football is in a time where results only matter if they impact profits. Auburn University might not have the will to be an upper tier program.

Dye has as many SEC titles as all of our other coaches  combined. 

Dye was successful because he wasn’t afraid of Bear or Dooley and because he out recruited our rivals.

If we want to have that kind of success again, we need a coach who will take to Saban and Smart who can out  recruit them.

It comes down to recruiting, being in the top ten in recruiting won’t help us overcome the talent deficit we have with UGA and Bammer 

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

Auburn basketball suffered for years because the administration did not care if the program competed or not. When they actually gave the program a facility equal to other conference schools and paid for a respected coach the program became a winner.

Pretty amazing that a few felt Auburn could never excel in basketball or garner fan support regardless of efforts to enhance it. 

Also outstanding support in baseball when the right decisions in place. Doubt you could find more of "homerun" hire than we have in Butch.

31 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Dye has as many SEC titles as all of our other coaches  combined. 

Dye was successful because he wasn’t afraid of Bear or Dooley and because he out recruited our rivals.

If we want to have that kind of success again, we need a coach who will take to Saban and Smart who can out  recruit them.

It comes down to recruiting, being in the top ten in recruiting won’t help us overcome the talent deficit we have with UGA and Bammer 

I gave up following recruiting a couple of years ago. But I feel like most classes ranked within a few spots of each other are equal. Every team will have busts, surprises and transfers. So then it comes to down developing players and schemes.  Neither of those appear to be strengths of the current offensive coaching staff.

4 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

After watching Auburn, Bama, Kentucky and Tennessee in their bowl games, I have a question, how do you feel about the direction of our program at this time????

I don't know what to think. I felt pretty good after last year's bowl game (even though it was against Purdue). 

We had a shot at a special year this year, but the offense just wasn't there against UF, LSU and uga.

Also tired of being inconsistent and losing games that we're supposed to win. 

About where we’ve been since the beginning. Auburn doesn’t seem to want to be the top tier in football. Just above average. 

Nothing will change till Gus is gone. But apparently averaging 8 wins a year is superb as long as you beat bammer every other year.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Heading south in the north-bound lane.

Great analogy.. I was thinking that our program under CGM is the car going 60 in the fast lane refusing to move over.. forcing everyone to pass us in the right lane.. and they are blowing our doors off... 

11 hours ago, doug3020 said:

@augolf1716 Did you ever own a pair of pants like the bass players? Please say yes....

Not quite as conspicuous but yes I had bell bottom jeans...................look damn good in them even if I do say so myself. Ever play golf in bell bottoms????? anyone anyone

20 hours ago, AUBourne said:

Don't forget about the do good faction. The people that for years have been jealous of Alabama. So their response to bama fans bragging on another title was to say, "AU is not just a football factory we focus on church and academics, not football".  To keep up this pretense of being infallible they will insist AU never fire a coach unless he does something immoral. These people will swear up and down a coaches first job is to raise children, introduce them to Christ and then coach football.  Now these same people really want to beat Alabama more than anything in the world, but they want it to look like it is a no effort, by-product of just being an Auburn man.  Beating Alabama so they can lift their nose at their neighbor is their biggest goal. But never say winning titles is important. That would imply AU doesn't have the same amount of titles because of work and effort.  Instead these people will fight for hired guns like Tuberville and Malzahn by saying something like, "The goal is not to win football games, rather the goal is to produce good kids and participate in competitive games".

I'm going to get blasted for this. But there is truth here.

I'm not going to blast you. As a truly flawed human but committed Christ-follower who loves the John Wooden-Tony Dungy model of addressing the "whole player," this is what I, too, have long-loved about Auburn. However, excellence accompanied Wooden and Dungy. Good did for awhile under this tenure, which is why I supported wholeheartedly in the first half of it. Now, this is a stewardship issue on many levels. There are also many question marks about this situation, even from a spiritual sense, that give me pause. 

There is more to representing your faith than results. There is also more to representing your faith than settling. Waiting for doors to close and windows to open for all parties. ❤

Archived