direction of our program

tigerman1186

Apathy, the worst emotion in any relationship, has set in with many (most?) of the AU faithful since we realize the program is never going to get over the hump with Gus in charge.    It’s past time for power brokers to swallow their pride, admit they screwed up by giving him the massive extension, and buy this guy out.   It’s not going to happen for at least another year, of course, but I hope the PTB and ADG are coming to this conclusion 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus continues to bring Auburn's football program down. further and further. With his unwillingness to make changes at halftime or even to scrap his high school spread / hurry up offense and go to something that really works. But he won't change anything. Therefore, like I said, he'll keep bringing Auburn down. Heck, it want take long before Kentucky passes us as being a better team because they have a better head coach that knows how to coach in the SEC.

14 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Dye has as many SEC titles as all of our other coaches  combined. 

Dye was successful because he wasn’t afraid of Bear or Dooley and because he out recruited our rivals.

If we want to have that kind of success again, we need a coach who will take to Saban and Smart who can out  recruit them.

It comes down to recruiting, being in the top ten in recruiting won’t help us overcome the talent deficit we have with UGA and Bammer 

Dye really didn’t deal with Bear or Dooley.   Not sure what year Dooley retired, but Dye only coached against Bear for two seasons.   He also didn’t coach against Spurrier.   He had the easiest of all the modern coaches, when you consider some of the current head coaches ( Saban, Meyer and Spurrier)

19 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Dye really didn’t deal with Bear or Dooley.   Not sure what year Dooley retired, but Dye only coached against Bear for two seasons.   He also didn’t coach against Spurrier.   He had the easiest of all the modern coaches, when you consider some of the current head coaches ( Saban, Meyer and Spurrier)

Dooley retired in '88 or '89, so Dye dealt with him plenty and Dye did coach against Spurrier.

• WarTiger changed the title to direction of their program
1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

Dooley retired in '88 or '89, so Dye dealt with him plenty.

He coached and lost all three head to head games against Spurrier at Florida too, 90-92. Got blown out as a ranked #4 team in 90. He didn't fair well at all against him. 

12 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Great analogy.. I was thinking that our program under CGM is the car going 60 in the fast lane refusing to move over.. forcing everyone to pass us in the right lane.. and they are blowing our doors off... 

You've driven here (SW Fla) during snowbird season haven't you?  LOL!

27 minutes ago, gr82be said:

He coached and lost all three head to head games against Spurrier at Florida too, 90-92. Got blown out as a ranked #4 team in 90. He didn't fair well at all against him. 

Yes, unfortunately with the sham of an investigation and distractions, the '91 & '92 ENTIRE SEASONS felt like the UCF bowl game.  NOBODY, players nor coaches were focused those 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I think Dooley won the Title in Dye’s first year. Dooley retired in 88.

Dye did deal with Bear. His out recruiting him for Bo Jackson is what turned the program around and gave us the most successful years Auburn has had. Outside of winning championships,this was the arguably the biggest event in AU’s football history.

I think my point stands. We need a coach who can go to to toe with Saban and Smart by first out recruiting them and second by out coaching them.

38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, unfortunately with the sham of an investigation and distractions, the '91 & '92 ENTIRE SEASONS felt like the UCF bowl game.  NOBODY, players nor coaches were focused those 2 seasons.

I remember it well. And our recruiting also suffered bc of it, so Dye was not getting great players by then too.

Didn't feel like starting a thread for this, but getting thinner at QB...unless our recruiters have some good news coming...

Thank you, Wil Appleton...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-qb-reportedly-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal/

• WarTiger changed the title to direction of our program

That bowl win would have put us at 10 wins with a freshman quarterback, the fifteenth time we would have at least 10 wins And wOuld have two big wins over ranked teams to close out the year. Not to mention we would have finished ahead of Bama in the rankings and people would have forgotten about our offensive struggles throughout the year. It would have given us alot of momentum going into next year/off-season with Chad Morris at OC. Instead we gave others more ammo and talking points about Gus and questions considering our 2-5 bowl record under him. 

The direction is the same as last year...mediocrity and not much to look forward to. A win over a rival likely saves his job and we'll be talking about the same thing at the end of next year....

Just now, ToraGirl said:

Y'all!  One RIGHT thing Alabama has done this year is pass a law that prohibits this.  I will not say that everyone follows it very well in its inaugural presence. 

I WILL say that I have many moral victories on the way to and from school via I-65 and I-85 daily.  #ZIPedeedodah

:party:https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/its-now-against-the-law-for-alabama-drivers-to-stay-too-long-in-the-left-lane.html

"The Anti-Road Rage Act, passed by lawmakers during the last legislative session, prohibits vehicles from staying in the leftmost land of the interstate for more than a mile and a half without passing another vehicle.

There are exceptions in cases of heavy traffic congestion, inclement weather, road obstructions or if a driver is preparing to take an exit from the left lane. There are also exceptions for emergency vehicles.

Proponents said the bill will prevent driver frustration when vehicles stay in the left lane for too long. According to AAA, nearly 80 percent of drivers reported feeling angry or aggressive when left-lane drivers wouldn’t move over.  (YA THINK?)

While the bill went into effect Sept. 1, law enforcement will only issue warnings for the first 60 days. After that, violators will receive a ticket for up to $200..."

Never happen in Florida.  Snowbirds are treated like royalty while us full-time residents are treated like nuisances 6 months per year.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Never happen in Florida.  Snowbirds are treated like royalty while us full-time residents are treated like nuisances 6 months per year.

Bet you're right.  Something of similar proportions happens in Auburn between semesters...quarters in my day.  You can actually drive...and you can visit the grocery store at times other than halftime.  I do not keed.

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Didn't feel like starting a thread for this, but getting thinner at QB...unless our recruiters have some good news coming...

Thank you, Wil Appleton...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-qb-reportedly-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal/

I know that this doesn't really matter but that's just sad. Lol

6 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I know that this doesn't really matter but that's just sad. Lol

That was exactly how I reacted, too.  I love your graphic.  This, too, really will pass.  

On 1/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, tigerman1186 said:

After watching Auburn, Bama, Kentucky and Tennessee in their bowl games, I have a question, how do you feel about the direction of our program at this time????

I feel like right after a bowl loss in a game where our Tigers were heavily favored is not the best time to ask this question.  Even I might be inclined to become a Negabarner.  But I won't...

Direction? We beat bammer and cost them a shot at the playoffs. We just saw one of the greatest (ranking wise) recruiting classes in AU history signed in the early signing period. We have Kevin Steele coordinating the defense and now Chad Morris on offense. I think the direction is good to very,. very good.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

We beat bammer and cost them a shot at the playoffs.

This is the problem with the fanbase.

40 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This is the problem with the fanbase.

Really? Why is that? Be specific as to how being glad to beat bama hurts AU.

24 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Really? Why is that? Be specific as to how being glad to beat bama hurts AU.

Yeah I don’t understand that either. We all know beating bama and going 9-4 is pretty much the ideal Auburn football season.

I'm tired of the comparison arguments. Look at Gus individual and the dude consistently finishes with 4 losses; now ask yourself if you're okay with that being our average? Now, if you're okay with a bunch of 4-5 loss seasons with the occasional solid performance that's another thing; but then are you okay with 0 wins against ranked bowl opponents?

How anyone is okay with him at this point is beyond me.
I absolutely HATE the stupid "how could we get a coach with ridiculous expectations." We are a damn dream job and some fans need to acknowledge that. Our only flaw as a program is being behind in facilities perpetually.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

How anyone is okay with him at this point is beyond me.

Then no one could possibly be OK with any AU coach of the modern era. From Jordan to Malzahn...all bums.

Archived