direction of our program

tigerman1186

45 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Is AU selling out in basketball?  What about baseball?  BRUCE not doing it the right way and producing leaders?

Was referring SPECIFICALLY to the football program. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

According to some, Gus is the only coach who is a good guy, instills leadership, graduates players, and has players with good character. That mindset drives me crazy. Plenty of coaches do all of that and win more than Gus. Winning championships and running a clean program are not mutually exclusive things. 

Tell that to Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. 

3 minutes ago, The Six said:

Was referring SPECIFICALLY to the football program. 

I know, which is why I asked you what the difference is.

7 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

It's your comparison.  Malzahn has it as hard as any AU coach in history. You have no argument, which is clear because you refuse to make one.  You and the rest of your "I hate Gus, all the time on every thread" crowd are one trick ponies.  I expect more than one of you is a bammer.  But what the heck...

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I know, which is why I asked you what the difference is.

"Amateurism" in college basketball has long been a compromised and I don't live under the delusion it's any different here as any other top program.  

This whole back and forth should just stop.

Half our fan base enjoys losing four or five games a year and if they would just admit that and admit they don’t believe their university capable of more then we can just all move on.

What direction is this football program going? A ones proud team that brought fear in the hearts of teams we played now are laughing at us. The powers at be gives a head coach a raise to 7 million a year over 7 years for a total of 49 million to a coach who has lost 4 or more for 6 straight years. Also, he's gone 2-5 in bowl games.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

According to some, Gus is the only coach who is a good guy, instills leadership, graduates players, and has players with good character. That mindset drives me crazy. Plenty of coaches do all of that and win more than Gus. Winning championships and running a clean program are not mutually exclusive things. 

Yeap. If those are the criteria, let me be the coach, hell.

21 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Half our fan base enjoys losing four or five games a year and if they would just admit that and admit they don’t believe their university capable of more then we can just all move on.

Not really half our fan base. CelCoTagger is a bama fan.

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Consistent? Our team has finished several seasons decimated by injury.  You guys only give that excuse (injuries!) when explaining why AU whipped another team. Malzahn is here and he is gonna be here at least another year. Get used to it.

Decimated? How many times has a starting QB or RB gone down and the backup pick up where he left off at other programs? We've had injuries at OL & WR too but it's up to the coaches to make sure guys on the bench are prepared. Lack of preparation has spoiled 2 seasons in this case. When have I made an excuse that AU only won because so and so wasn't playing? 

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I have, 9 wins is the minimum. Repeatedly. And when it's not 9, it's 10.

Are you referring to me here? I've never posted in the season prediction threads or actually given a total win number for the program anywhere on this site. I've already told you I'm not a part of a certain group so are you ignoring that just to argue because you didn't like my initial response? 

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Tell that to Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. 

Can you expand on that thought? Why tell that to Harbaugh?

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

It's not that they enjoy it. They just expect it. They have Little Brother Syndrome. They think Auburn should not be able to out recruit or beat a school named after a state. They believe any win over those teams is a miracle and a sign that Auburn should keep any coach that occasionally beat Alabama. So they place value on non tangible things and wins and titles don't matter. 

Administratively, the direction of the program is very clear - hold the course until Gus turns the corner or the buyout reaches an acceptable level to act. At this point; the pros and cons of the program, player developmemt, and coaching are well entrenched. We are all creatures of habit. He has demonstrated an inflexibility of thought and action. Expecting a change now after 7 years is not likely. He intends to play this out his way. I do believe the man hates losing. He just can’t accept why the loses occur - execution not scheme, development, and coaching. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Preach! And one cannot be an excuse for the others. One verse out of many that demands excellence is Colossians 3:23...life goals...but it's the standard!

30 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

Administratively, the direction of the program is very clear - hold the course until Gus turns the corner or the buyout reaches an acceptable level to act. At this point; the pros and cons of the program, player developmemt, and coaching are well entrenched. We are all creatures of habit. He has demonstrated an inflexibility of thought and action. Expecting a change now after 7 years is not likely. He intends to play this out his way. I do believe the man hates losing. He just can’t accept why the loses occur - execution not scheme, development, and coaching. 

So much wisdom here! Thank you!

I can't believe this argument......now the fantastic five is saying you should be happy with Gus.....just because? Really?

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I can't believe this argument......now the fantastic five is saying you should be happy with Gus.....just because? Really?

I believe they just think it's cool having a coach named "Gus".  😂🤣😋

A couple of thoughts

Because of geographical statistics, Auburn has the potential to out recruit(I didn’t stutter) Bammer,UGA & LSU 

There has never been more talent in our backyard .Alabama, Georgia, Fla. are our traditional areas. There is more talent in these areas than ever before.

The expectations have changed for head coaches because the old bowl system has been blown up. It’s about the playoffs now. We should reasonably be able to challenge for the playoffs more often than we are now.

I absolutely love coach Gus. I don’t think he sucks, or that he is dumb as a box of hammers or anything like that. Any objective person should be able to see that Gus hasn’t been bad. He has actually done very well in spots. But I don’t think he will take us to the next level. 

Gus hasn’t done badly, I just think Auburn can take it to the next level,but I don’t think he’s the coach to do it.

He hasn’t been bad nor has he been good.   He has just been ok. And if ok is what you want, than he is your man.   If not and you want more, he is not the man.   It’s really just as simple as that.  

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Heck, look at the coach who's team just pushed us around if you wanna see another coach who's doing all those things too.

20 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Heck, look at the coach who's team just pushed us around if you wanna see another coach who's doing all those things too.

Wonder who that is....LOL!

13 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

It's your comparison.  Malzahn has it as hard as any AU coach in history. You have no argument, which is clear because you refuse to make one.  You and the rest of your "I hate Gus, all the time on every thread" crowd are one trick ponies.  I expect more than one of you is a bammer.  But what the heck...

The man has mental blocks as far as the offense is concerned. How can you defend the playcalling and this high school offense? And...the 5 quarterback game against Clemson. You talk about embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Gus hasn’t done badly, I just think Auburn can take it to the next level,but I don’t think he’s the coach to do it.

Auburn is paying Gus money to take them to the next level.  He hasn’t come through on his end. Auburn is not getting their monies worth.  Time to move on.

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Auburn is paying Gus money to take them to the next level.  He hasn’t come through on his end. Auburn is not getting their monies worth.  Time to move on.

That’s where I’m at.

I came to this conclusion after the UGA loss this year.

Archived