direction of our program

tigerman1186

This is an updated synopsis in the minds of many regarding the direction of our program. Data doesn't lie. 

"Under Gus Malzahn's new contract, signed at the end of the 2017 season, every loss during the 2019 season costs Auburn $566,000. [11] 

Auburn paid Gus Malzahn $2.26 million and counting for games lost during the 2019 season."

https://www.hasgusmalzahnbeenfiredyet.com/

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

This is an updated synopsis in the minds of many regarding the direction of our program. Data doesn't lie. 

"Under Gus Malzahn's new contract, signed at the end of the 2017 season, every loss during the 2019 season costs Auburn $566,000. [11] 

Auburn paid Gus Malzahn $2.26 million and counting for games lost during the 2019 season."

https://www.hasgusmalzahnbeenfiredyet.com/

Obviously it's his money and I'm just ticked off but I'd feel a lot better if he donated the equivalent amount to the Football Only Facility. 

Sorry, I'm being petty. 

7 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

I have one final statement. I love the sugar huddle. Sugar huddles are totally cool. Maybe Huddle House would be a good name for it. Lol 

Yes, and I like the "hopping RBs" innovation. How cool is that. RBs hopping up and down! Awesome!

23 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I said it before the season, and I’ll say it again. With bo as the starter JG could’ve taken a ton of pressure off of him, but of course, we didn’t 

I personally would’ve just rather you sub the QB who’s clearly overwhelmed out and put someone else in. I don’t think Bo got any better by being allowed to throw more picks or try to figure out defenses he clearly couldn’t in the moment 

and that’s not me trying to disrespect him, no one gets better in those situations 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I personally would’ve just rather you sub the QB who’s clearly overwhelmed out and put someone else in. I don’t think Bo got any better by being allowed to throw more picks or try to figure out defenses he clearly couldn’t in the moment 

and that’s not me trying to disrespect him, no one gets better in those situations 

Agreed, made no sense in the Florida game to not try something else when we couldn't get past the 50 for over an hour.

21 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

This whole back and forth should just stop.

Half our fan base enjoys losing four or five games a year and if they would just admit that and admit they don’t believe their university capable of more then we can just all move on.

I just passed my 40-year mark as an Auburn fan and I've honestly never met any of those people.

We're standing still, which means we're falling behind.  The bottom line is that Gus has recruited the talent to be more successful than he's been, which means he is an average head coach. The sad thing is, he denies there is an issue, and the issue is his predictability.

I have no great expectations of Auburn football as long as he is at the helm.

Sorta direction of program related. A good read nonetheless. 

Some people really are waiting for us to hit "bad" when "mediocre" is actually quite the fireable offense at a program like ours.

We have to be proactive and get rid of Gus ASAP. If we wait for things to bottom out we are going to be in trouble because the talent is what's keeping Gus afloat right now. If we get to the point of having a 6 win year or something that means the talent on campus would have significantly dried up and that will take years to get back to a talent level of where we want to be.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:10 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I'm not. The "4 losses is unacceptable" crowd is.  Name the last AU coach to average 9 wins or more a season over a minimum of five seasons?  The last to average three of fewer losses over five seasons? I'll wait here...

This is not a great way to look at it. If you can't recognize AU, in it's current status as a program, is capable of more than Gus is providing that's a you problem and not a "4 losses is unacceptable crowd" problem. We were a hair away from having 2 titles in this decade alone. To think 4+ losses a year, while we are paying for elite results, is ok just because you are stuck in the pre-HDTV era when it comes to how you view the program, is just plain wrong.

In a post-Cam Newton world we should never be losing more than 3 games in a year. 4 losses should be putting our coach on the hot seat once. Do it twice and he should start feeling the ground rumbling -- if he's doing all the right things in other areas (which Gus absolutely has -- recruits good kids, they graduate, team behavior is fantastic). A 3rd time would be a swift kick towards the door.

LSU and UGA saw they had hit their ceiling with Richt and Miles. They said "our program is such that we can be better" Next thing ya know they're both playing for national titles. We are in that same spot UGA and LSU were. What are we going to do about it? Sit and hope for it to get better or actually make a play to take this program to the next level. Gus did a good job taking us from the trash of 2011 and 2012 and put us back on solid footing. Job well done, in that regard, Gus. Now move over while the baton is passed to someone else because it's time.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I feel like right after a bowl loss in a game where our Tigers were heavily favored is not the best time to ask this question.  Even I might be inclined to become a Negabarner.  But I won't...

Direction? We beat bammer and cost them a shot at the playoffs. We just saw one of the greatest (ranking wise) recruiting classes in AU history signed in the early signing period. We have Kevin Steele coordinating the defense and now Chad Morris on offense. I think the direction is good to very,. very good.

And what direction is that? I don't mean up...I mean with results that go with a coach making 6+ million a year. 

Beating Bama didn't get us into the playoffs or the SECC.

Kevin Steele's D gave up 515 yds to UA w/ a backup QB. Our D gave up 494 yds to Minn. They gave up 45 and 31 pts respectively. While I do give Steele a lot of credit w bringing our D over the last 4 years to the upper levels of the SEC.

And it's our offense that is showing too much inconsistency, IMO to get us to very good to great is where we want to be in most years. 

In 7 years we have had...

very good(2013)

good(2017, 2019(until he lost the bowl game)

almost good(2014 & 2016,(until he lost the bowl)

not good(2015, 2018)

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Some people really are waiting for us to hit "bad" when "mediocre" is actually quite the fireable offense at a program like ours.

We have to be proactive and get rid of Gus ASAP. If we wait for things to bottom out we are going to be in trouble because the talent is what's keeping Gus afloat right now. If we get to the point of having a 6 win year or something that means the talent on campus would have significantly dried up and that will take years to get back to a talent level of where we want to be.

This is not a great way to look at it. If you can't recognize AU, in it's current status as a program, is capable of more than Gus is providing that's a you problem and not a "4 losses is unacceptable crowd" problem. We were a hair away from having 2 titles in this decade alone. To think 4+ losses a year, while we are paying for elite results, is ok just because you are stuck in the pre-HDTV era when it comes to how you view the program, is just plain wrong.

In a post-Cam Newton world we should never be losing more than 3 games in a year. 4 losses should be putting our coach on the hot seat once. Do it twice and he should start feeling the ground rumbling -- if he's doing all the right things in other areas (which Gus absolutely has -- recruits good kids, they graduate, team behavior is fantastic). A 3rd time would be a swift kick towards the door.

LSU and UGA saw they had hit their ceiling with Richt and Miles. They said "our program is such that we can be better" Next thing ya know they're both playing for national titles. We are in that same spot UGA and LSU were. What are we going to do about it? Sit and hope for it to get better or actually make a play to take this program to the next level. Gus did a good job taking us from the trash of 2011 and 2012 and put us back on solid footing. Job well done, in that regard, Gus. Now move over while the baton is passed to someone else because it's time.

BROTHER!!!!! THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!! This was such a freaking Mic Drop of a moment!!! OMGSH!!! OMGSH!!! THERE GOES TIGER!!! THERE GOES TIGER!!!!! HE IS GOING TO WIN THE ARGUMENT GAME!!!!! lol (RIP ROD! MISS YA MAN!).  THIS IS WHAT MAKES ME JUMP UP AND WANT TO LUNGE at the posters from my recliner because they basically want to see a bottoming out like Baby Bowden and Chiz!!! UGHHHHHHHHHH MAKE A CHANGE NOW!!! Our job will be a lot more desirable to better candidates if the optics of it is we keep losing with great talent because of a average coach. Which is absolutely what the optics is about our program now. BECAUSE IT IS TRUE!!!! hahaha.

rewrew.gif

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

BROTHER!!!!! THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!! This was such a freaking Mic Drop of a moment!!! OMGSH!!! OMGSH!!! THERE GOES TIGER!!! THERE GOES TIGER!!!!! HE IS GOING TO WIN THE ARGUMENT GAME!!!!! lol (RIP ROD! MISS YA MAN!).  THIS IS WHAT MAKES ME JUMP UP AND WANT TO LUNGE at the posters from my recliner because they basically want to see a bottoming out like Baby Bowden and Chiz!!! UGHHHHHHHHHH MAKE A CHANGE NOW!!! Our job will be a lot more desirable to better candidates if the optics of it is we keep losing with great talent because of a average coach. Which is absolutely what the optics is about our program now.

rewrew.gif

Guys. I dislike Gus more than anyone here. Pretty sure there isn’t a close second. But he has a good to elite recruiting staff assembled. We still going to get plenty of talent for him to piss away. 

Mae are uga under Richt without the 10 win seasons. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Guys. I dislike Gus more than anyone here. Pretty sure there isn’t a close second. But he has a good to elite recruiting staff assembled. We still going to get plenty of talent for him to piss away. 

Exactly. That is our point. We have the talent. We do not have the Head Coach. When we finally nut up and can Gus we will be in the best position to make a big time splashy hire with the great talent (besides on the OL) Gus and said great recruiting staff (for the most part) has assembled.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AUsome.  When the buyout becomes manageable for the people writing checks we should be able to be very good right away under a new coach.

I would almost trade every 4 and 5 star WR and RB that Gus has recruited in his tenure for 4 and 5 star O-Linemen. I think Gus' system can work...but it requires one major thing to even begin to click....and it isn't a dual threat QB. (this helps)

Gus' system requires a dominating OL. Not mediocre. Not ok. A group of 5 physical beast that are road graders. In the years and times we been successful, We have had this. We have been able to rely on getting 4+ yards on any play due to the OL. 

Back in 2013 after SEC Championship game I remember watching a show and I can't remember the coach that said it, but they said what is so hard to stop with Auburn...is you have to give them 5 yards to contain them and not give up a big play...but the problem is even if you do not give up the big play you are giving them 5 yards each time so they still drive on ya. 

How many of you feel the way I do when we get a 3rd and 2 or 3 in the game and just feel nauseous because there is zero confidence we get the first down? I got that nearly every 3rd down this season. 

Until we get back to recruiting beast OL with a kill or be killed mentality, it doesn't matter the stars we have a RB, WR QB, TE or anywhere else.....including on Defense. We had a championship caliber D this year and it makes me sick but it was pissed away. Blame it on a FR QB all you want. With a SR OL shouldn't matter. Look what UGA did with a FR QB just a couple years ago. They had a dominant Def, a Dominant OL, and some damn good RBs. 

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly. That is our point. We have the talent. We do not have the Head Coach. When we finally nut up and can Gus we will be in the best position to make a big time splashy hire with the great talent (besides on the OL) Gus and said great recruiting staff (for the most part) has assembled.

That first paragraph about the talent drying up. That isn’t going to happen. This isn’t UT. What I was replying to. 

12 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is what I am having a hard  time  understanding.  Gus is  an 8-5 coach.  Needing to rebound after last  season and put the haters away Gus responds with 9-4.   Gus has lost four or more game a season for  the last six years.  three 8-5 and a 7-6.   10-4 is the outlier and it still has a head scratching/infuriating loss to LSU and a lack  luster performance agaisnt UCF.   Yet despite Malzahns obvious mediocrity and below average record with QB's he still kills it on the recruiting trail and somehow got Bo Nix.   HOW?

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That first paragraph about the talent drying up. That isn’t going to happen. This isn’t UT. What I was replying to. 

I guess I just did not word it correctly. I def do not ever think that is happening either. Especially with this recruiting staff. I just do not get why some fans want a complete bottoming out like with baby bowden and chiz before they think a change needs to be made. I will never understand that. A lot of our fans are content with mediocrity. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We are uga under Richt without the 10 wins a season. We will lose 5 again next year. Gus is who he is. Chad Morris impact will be marginal at best. 

Next year's schedule is considerable easier, No excuse losing 5 next year.

49 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

somehow got Bo Nix.   HOW?

Because Bo, Pat, & the entire Nix clan love Auburn Gus or no Gus.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Live feed of Gus and Chad

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ac750ff7871e88419ad

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree with the no excuse part. But while I think the schedule gets a little easier, I’m not sure it will be easier enough to overcome Gus. UNC returns a great Qb and will be much improved under Mack. We go on the road vs UGA and Bama. Not going to the Swamp helps, but UK and Stoops is perfectly capable of out coaching Gus. After seeing us lose 4 with this defense, I can easily see the same or worse next year. I hate to be so cynical but I’m going to assume the worst in 2020 and hope I’m wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with the no excuse part. But while I think the schedule gets a little easier, I’m not sure it will be easier enough to overcome Gus. UNC returns a great Qb and will be much improved under Mack. We go on the road vs UGA and Bama. Not going to the Swamp helps, but UK and Stoops is perfectly capable of out coaching Gus. After seeing us lose 4 with this defense, I can easily see the same or worse next year. I hate to be so cynical but I’m going to assume the worst in 2020 and hope I’m wrong. 

We are still going to out talent UNC & UK by a wide margin so there will be no excuse in losing those games.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I guess I just did not word it correctly. I def do not ever think that is happening either. Especially with this recruiting staff. I just do not get why some fans want a complete bottoming out like with baby bowden and chiz before they think a change needs to be made. I will never understand that. A lot of our fans are content with mediocrity. 

Cause I am intrigued if you can make it from W. Palm to Austin in a single lunge.

I think some mistake content with understanding. I am not content with losing, but I understand that in this circumstance I have zero influence or control over it or how to improve it.

To be honest if I was one of those guys, first that contract would of never been approved. Then at the least right now the entire offensive staff would be gone.

Archived