Why is Gus the worst at bowl games?

GwillMac6

On 1/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is 2-5 in bowl games. Chiz was 3-0. Tubs was 5-3 in Bowl games. Baby Bowden was 2-1 in Bowl games. Pat Dye was 6-2-1. None of these coaches with the obvious exception of Dye was a vastly superior coach than Malzahn. It just makes no freaking sense. I am tired of losing bowl games when the opponent has any kind of pulse.

A very good question. College football Hall of Fame coach Bo Schembechler was a whopping 5 - 12 in bowl games (and at least a couple of those wins were very very lucky). Notice one of his losses ia to one of the best bowl coaches of all time - Pat Dye. The honest answer for Malzahn is long - somw losses were ineptness, some unbelievably unlucky (if any 1 of a dozen things doesn't happen in 2013 we win), some where opponent just played great football and we played average (see e.g. Minnesota). I think folks are freaking out too much about this particular bowl loss.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

A very good question. College football Hall of Fame coach Bo Schembechler was a whopping 5 - 12 in bowl games (and at least a couple of those wins were very very lucky). Notice one of his losses ia to one of the best bowl coaches of all time - Pat Dye. The honest answer for Malzahn is long - somw losses were ineptness, some unbelievably unlucky (if any 1 of a dozen things doesn't happen in 2013 we win), some where opponent just played great football and we played average (see e.g. Minnesota). I think folks are freaking out too much about this particular bowl loss.

The conversation is about GM's bowl record of 2-5 not about the most recent bowl game. Try to keep up.

15 hours ago, The Six said:

Pride reaction to Gus' influence and leadership in the 2010 title game cost him his head coaching career when he meddled and ran him off. 

Gus is a championship-level coach and he's great for Auburn. 

Do you have any other fairy tales you could share with us today?

Archived