Chattanooga, TN

AUBwins

Memphis isn’t a city that you fall in love with on your first visit, but it grows on you like a fungus over time. 

That is a great line!

On 1/17/2020 at 10:37 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well. Come to Memphis where it’s hot and humid and flat and rains a lot. And crime if you go looking to find it. Lots of great food and night-time spots. Some great cocktail bars. Half way decent breweries. And there’s a lot of gentrification going around in the midtown area. So housing is cheap. Cool pockets of neighborhoods with progressive, artsy-type businesses and people. Lot of hipsters. 

Memphis is basically what Birmingham was around until 2008 or so when it turned into what it is currently. There’s a lot of hometown pride in this city, which is admirable. Pretty much a little brother complex due to Nashville. But everyone appreciates everyone. It took me a long time to realize it, but it’s a city that I don’t mind calling home...for now.

Other than the crime, lack of local outdoor scenery, and being about 3-6 hours from any other major city, it’s really not that bad.  Memphis isn’t a city that you fall in love with on your first visit, but it grows on you like a fungus over time. 

Oh, and the best tap water I’ve ever had except for Colorado. 

And there's always something to be said for a city that has its own distinct culture(s) and history. Memphis is absolutely dripping with both. 

Archived