PTB Update

Butthead

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Right...before the "show cause" was over....and when NCAA issues a show cause, they expect the member schools to honor it. ….and preferably to give the designated culprit the cold shoulder for a while longer too.    AU  made it's decision and that's fine...but don't be foolish enough to think that nobody from the NCAA was irked over it. ...and hosting Freeze and maybe wooing ABriles…..these are not actions that the NCAA is gonna just ignore....JMO.  

good points. my take is they were not trying to p*ss off the ncaa but they wanted to hire bruce before another school did. that might not be the case but it sounds logical to me. but with our past infractions i am not sure the ncaa likes us that much anyway. choices  choices........lol

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting but totally unrealistic comments above about the power/ authority of the AD. 

He has a dozen bosses and has to please them all.   Some of you might ...in your jobs....be able to do whatever you want such as  fire subordinates without making sure higher ups are fully behind you....but I'm pretty it does not work that way in any big state university.   Check the list of fired ADs who thought they could ignore the PTBs.  

If the salary level represents organizational respect, take a look at where AG is relative to a good many coaches at AU.  And yes technically he could probably fire Gus or Steele or BP or BT....but unless he's lost his mind it's not gonna happen without a ream of documentation and a dozen supporting e-mails or memos from the PTBs.

A smart AD, IMO does the job within the limits he has been allowed and in AG's case, it's not about the job being too big for him....IMO it's about him recognizing his level and limits of authority and doing his best within them.    If he is unhappy with those limits, he should give his "notice" but I expect it's the same where he came from and will be the same at his next school.    JMO but the guy is doing a good job and people who might be on his back about Gus....and probably Flo too, are talking to the wrong person. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the guy is doing a good job and people who might be on his back about Gus....and probably Flo too, are talking to the wrong person. 

He was allowed to "mutually part directions" with the volleyball coach early December after a 7-22 season......probably about the top of food chain for Greene's coaching decisions. Volleyball did beat bammer in season finale. 

39 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

You have to wonder if the job may be too big for him?  It's a difficult situation for any AD at an SEC West program that has high expectations for it's big 3 sports and a PTB that, from all accounts, has no leadership.  I just hope he's not making decisions based on self-preservation (which is what seemed to plague JJ's stint) and is trying to build through boldness and vision.  I've seen a fun. likable, and smart guy...but so far I haven't witnessed evidence of boldness.  But I'm a total outsider.

To the noted part above, going to bat for Bruce was the best thing that an AD could've done for the sports programs (my personal opinion) but the boldness required to do so in the face of the school president and also the national media raining crap down on AU and Pearl should not be understated IMO particularly during that moment in time when Bruce's job was in question. A lesser AD would've let that clown Leath fire Bruce IMO

I might be overselling the Bruce thing but he's my favorite coach spanning all sports over my 33 years on the planet so I would not claim to be unbiased when it comes to this lol.

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To the noted part above, going to bat for Bruce was the best thing that an AD could've done for the sports programs (my personal opinion) but the boldness required to do so in the face of the school president and also the national media raining crap down on AU and Pearl should not be understated IMO particularly during that moment in time when Bruce's job was in question. A lesser AD would've let that clown Leath fire Bruce IMO

I might be overselling the Bruce thing but he's my favorite coach spanning all sports over my 33 years on the planet so I would not claim to be unbiased when it comes to this lol.

Good point!

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

How in the blue hell have we gone against the NCAA? Please point to it. Because even when we hired Pearl his show cause was almost up in a couple of months.. He did his time away from the game for 3 seasons after UT fired him. We sat out Wiley and Purifoy for a whole season when the Person news broke. Does that look like spitting in the NCAA face to you? We have cooperated more than any other school. We went against them so much we sat out Purifoy last year a additional 9 games. MY GOODNESS WE ARE A REGULAR REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE HERE!!!!!!! We have cooperated with them this whole time. Kansas got hit with level one infractions in september which are the most severe. Auburns case is unique because AGAIN Person got payments trying to steer players to sign with certain agents for when they LEFT Auburn. These other cases families got money and payments so they would go to said school during the recruiting process and sign with them. 

The Kansas basketball program received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday detailing multiple major violations, the University of Kansas confirmed. Kansas is accused of committing three Level I violations -- the most severe in the NCAA rulebook. A responsibility charge is also being levied against Hall of Fame coach Bill Self and KU is also charged with a lack of institutional control. 

Several Level II violations have also been levied against the football program dating back to the previous coaching regime under David Beaty, according to Yahoo Sports, which first reported the notice of allegations. Those violations are less serious in nature and reportedly include charges of allowing an extra coach to work during practice.

Kansas' alleged violations in basketball stem from the FBI's recent investigation into the sport related to corruption and bribery. The probe roped in Kansas when T.J. Gassnola, a former Adidas consultant, testified about his involvement in funneling money to the mother of former KU basketball player Billy Preston and to the guardian of current KU basketball player Silvio De Sousa. Last week, reports surfaced indicating an NOA -- with major rules violations allegations -- was likely imminent for the program.

Self would be subject to coach responsibility penalty guidelines adopted by the NCAA in the wake of recommendations from the Commission on College Basketball. That means he could be suspended for up to a year.

Kansas is expected to mount a vigorous defense, a source told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, saying it felt "strong[ly]" about the NCAA's accusations. Late Monday, the Jayhawks began that defense with a statement from Kansas' Office of Public Affairs. In part, it reads as follows:

It is already clear from an initial review that the University will fiercely dispute in detail much of what has been presented.

First and foremost, the University emphasizes that it emphatically rejects the assertion that Adidas and Adidas employees and associates were boosters and agents of the University (as defined by NCAA legislation) during the period of the alleged violations and therefore acting on the University's behalf when they engaged in alleged violations of NCAA bylaws.

As for the allegations regarding Head Men's Basketball Coach Bill Self, voluminous evidence demonstrates uncontestably that he did, in fact, promote an atmosphere of compliance and fully monitor his staff. The University firmly and fully supports Coach Self and his staff. [...]

The University strongly disagrees with the assertion that it "lacks of institutional control." In fact, the University believes that the record will demonstrate just the opposite. [...]

We understand this is a unique moment in collegiate athletics, and we recognize the NCAA finds itself in a challenging position. But we don't believe these allegations are the most appropriate way to address long-standing challenges in college basketball.

NCAA investigators were sent to Kansas to look into both the football and basketball programs, Dennis Dodd reported this spring. In June, Dodd reported that at least six schools would be hit with Level I violations as the FBI's investigation continues to reverberate throughout the college basketball landscape.

The earliest the case could be concluded is approximately six months from now if the typical investigatory timeline is followed. The concerned parties now have 90 days to file a response to the NOA. After that, the NCAA has 60 days to file its reply brief. Then a hearing in front of an NCAA infractions panel is scheduled.

That would put a decision on the case into Spring 2020. The lack of institutional control allegation puts a potential postseason ban into play. However, due to the timeline of the case, one person close to the situation told Dodd that the possibility of a postseason ban "highly unlikely" for the 2019-20 season.

That wouldn't preclude Kansas from applying a self-imposed penalty as a show of good faith to the NCAA. However, that doesn't seem to be Kansas' stance at the moment.

Kansas is the second known school to receive a NOA with Level I violations to date, joining NC State, which in July announced it had been hit by the NCAA with multiple Level I and Level II violations. KU is expected to release a copy of the notice of allegations.

Kansas is in this position because of NCAA rule changes that allow it to accept information that has been developed "by another administrative body or a commission authorized by a school." In this case, the FBI's case as presented at trial with evidence in the form of wiretaps and texts involving both Self and top assistant Kurtis Townsend. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-basketball-hit-with-major-ncaa-violation-charges-stemming-from-fbi-probe/

Did you see what happened to UNC a few years back.....................Nothing.

25 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Did you see what happened to UNC a few years back.....................Nothing.

True...every case is different...and we aren't NC or Duke or UK or KU for that matter....but some schools more in our range or getting hit one by one.   Not saying we will be included but it's likely not over for us....or for a number of other schools who have come up in the discussions.    Only choice we have is to press on....and hope we have done enough to  mostly satisfy the NCAA. :dunno: 

I think Allen Greene is a nice guy but as far as hiring and firing coaches, I don't see how anyone can have confidence in him. He was the AD at Buffalo but if you take a close look at his time at Buffalo all of the successful coaches at their program were already in place when he took over. He didn't hire any of them.

Greene took over as Buffalo AD in late November 2015. 

Buffalo's football HC Lance Leipold was hired in late November 2014

Buffalo's men's basketball HC Nate Oats(now at Alabama) was hired in April 2015 after Bobby Hurley left Buffalo for Arizona St

Buffalo's women's basketball HC Felisha Legette-Jack was hired in June 2012

The AD at Buffalo before Greene was  Danny White who is now the AD at UCF. At UCF White hired Scott Frost and then Josh Heupel after Frost left. He also hired UCF's men's basketball HC Johnny Dawkins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_White_(athletic_director)

59 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I think Allen Greene is a nice guy but as far as hiring and firing coaches, I don't see how anyone can have confidence in him. He was the AD at Buffalo but if you take a close look at his time at Buffalo all of the successful coaches at their program were already in place when he took over. He didn't hire any of them.

Greene took over as Buffalo AD in late November 2015. 

Buffalo's football HC Lance Leipold was hired in late November 2014

Buffalo's men's basketball HC Nate Oats(now at Alabama) was hired in April 2015 after Bobby Hurley left Buffalo for Arizona St

Buffalo's women's basketball HC Felisha Legette-Jack was hired in June 2012

The AD at Buffalo before Greene was  Danny White who is now the AD at UCF. At UCF White hired Scott Frost and then Josh Heupel after Frost left. He also hired UCF's men's basketball HC Johnny Dawkins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_White_(athletic_director)

At some point he has to do the job.  Good ADs sometimes hire bad coaches and vice versa....helps for them to be lucky a bit to.    The guy who hired Saban hired or tried to hire three bad coaches in a row so you never know.   As for AG,  IMO,  his relatively inexperience is one reason he's not gonna make any critical decision on his own. 

JMO but guys like AG are hired to run a clean, efficient and competitive Athletic Department and only occasionally are they called on to partake in an important coaching decision about a major sport so most of them don't have much of a track record for stuff like that.     

It's so funny some of you people. PTB openly said what's going on in the AD and some of you just refuse to believe it... yet... PTB is one of the few on here who is ACTUALLY in the know on things going on... it's like some of you guys listen and take what he says as gospel as long as you agree with him or it supports your agenda at the time, but as soon as its something you dont like... it's like he is just talking out his rear end and is just another random on the site... 

If you believe him you believe him... at all times...not just when it suits you.

9 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

He was allowed to "mutually part directions" with the volleyball coach early December after a 7-22 season......probably about the top of food chain for Greene's coaching decisions. Volleyball did beat bammer in season finale. 

And after a 7-22 season beating bama in the finale is meaningless. It may as well have been Northern Tennessee State. When you finish 7-22 there is NOTHING that can be twisted to make the season seem successful in ANY way. 

People put WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much stock in beating Bama. 

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And after a 7-22 season beating bama in the finale is meaningless.

People put WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much stock in beating Bama. 

1-17 in the SEC is what did him in. It doesn't look like stock was put into beating UAT. The guy got fired anyway.

33 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's so funny some of you people. PTB openly said what's going on in the AD and some of you just refuse to believe it... yet... PTB is one of the few on here who is ACTUALLY in the know on things going on... it's like some of you guys listen and take what he says as gospel as long as you agree with him or it supports your agenda at the time, but as soon as its something you dont like... it's like he is just talking out his rear end and is just another random on the site... 

If you believe him you believe him... at all times...not just when it suits you.

rer.gif

erwrewr.gif

On 1/7/2020 at 3:05 PM, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

Gus is here to stay. Love it or hate it. PTB are aware of discontent, but just look at it as fans being fans. They have the opinion that we played 6 teams in the top 10, and the bowl loss was because it was Minn’s super bowl and we weren’t as motivated. They think that once Burrow (sp?) is gone that LSU will come back down to earth and that the chance of a great season once out of 5 years is worth the 4 years of mediocrity. They see us as graduating players and playing clean with the NCAA (something they fear is looming for our BB program btw.) Greene is a peace-keeper. 

Objectively, they're not going to be wanting to make sweeping changes after a 9-win season that included beating Oregon and Alabama. But watch if we go 6-6 next year (yes it could very easily happen--I would say 5-7 is the floor)...I expect his seat to start heating up for real. If OL recruiting doesn't pick up I definitely see changes having been made by the time Nix is finished at very latest.

59 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Objectively, they're not going to be wanting to make sweeping changes after a 9-win season that included beating Oregon and Alabama. But watch if we go 6-6 next year (yes it could very easily happen--I would say 5-7 is the floor)...I expect his seat to start heating up for real. If OL recruiting doesn't pick up I definitely see changes having been made by the time Nix is finished at very latest.

We aren't going 6-6. Nor do I think it can easily happen unless we have a bunch of injuries or a meltdown like in 2015 and even then we didn't go 6-6. That is the problem. We have overwhelming talent. We will beat most of those teams on talent alone. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

We aren't going 6-6. Nor do I think it can easily happen unless we have a bunch of injuries or a meltdown like in 2015 and even then we didn't go 6-6. That is the problem. We have overwhelming talent. We will beat most of those teams on talent alone. 

We have solid talent by SEC standards, but hardly overwhelming. Bama and LSU consistently have many more NFL draft picks than us. UGA has double digit 5 stars on their roster, and TAMU is headed to their second straight top 5 class. Overwhelming talent could’ve overcome MSU and UT last year and Minnesota this year, even with Gus’s coaching. And we came dangerously close to losing to Ole Miss this year. I could see us at 9-3 next year, but 7-5 or 6-6 is not an impossibility in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We have solid talent by SEC standards, but hardly overwhelming. Bama and LSU consistently have many more NFL draft picks than us. UGA has double digit 5 stars on their roster, and TAMU is headed to their second straight top 5 class. Overwhelming talent could’ve overcome MSU and UT last year and Minnesota this year, even with Gus’s coaching. And we came dangerously close to losing to Ole Miss this year. I could see us at 9-3 next year, but 7-5 or 6-6 is not an impossibility in my opinion. 

So are you arguing we do or don't have overwhelming talent? Because on one side you are saying we can't win with our overwhelming talent, but then you compare us to other teams WHO ALSO HAVE OVERWHELMING TALENT. We are #8 in the nation out of 120 something schools in terms of recruiting. Talent/recruiting has never been the issue. We lost to Minnesota last year, but we also beat Oregon , Texas  A&M and Bama. You aren't beating those teams if you don't have the talent to match those squads (2 OUT OF 3 of them have top ten talent). We played LSU to their best game at HOME. LSU has been annihilating teams. You can't do that if you don't have crazy good talent. Auburn has NC quality players and I wish our fans would recognize that. However, Talent alone won't just win you games. It can save you most of the time, but you have to have the coaching too. 

Some of y'all are big time prisoner of the moments. I like at next year schedule and I don't see how any rationale poster could have us at 6-6. I need some explanations on that one.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

And we still won 8 games last year and 9 games this year. I think that's the point. Especially with an easier schedule next year than we've had in a minute. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And we still won 8 games last year and 9 games this year. I think that's the point. Especially with an easier schedule next year than we've had in a minute. 

I don't think some of these fans get it. It is more wishful thinking . Gus is a lot but he is no damn fool. He is not going to put himself to be 6-6 unless there is external circumstances way out of his control.  Gus knew the seat was getting HOT after the UGA and all of a sudden, the team picks it up.  He is aggressive, he is getting the ball to playmakers who often do not get it, etc. The seat cools off and he goes back to his old ways. We are legitimately stuck as fans. It is honestly going to take the PTB to risk it all and get rid of him even if 8 or 9 games is consistent. I give @Barnacle PROPS. He said he holds them responsibility and he is 100 percent right. I also said I would be okay with winning 9 games, but TBH, I am sick of not being able to get over the hump. I am taking @oracle79 advice and not pulling a Charlie brown anymore.  Rest assured we will be 5-0, ranked in the top ten and heading to Athens next year. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

So are you arguing we do or don't have overwhelming talent?

We have adequate talent. Our talent level is lower than our primary competition, which is UAT, LSU and UGA. We're about equal, talent-wise, with A&M. We may have overwhelming talent when compared to most of our non-conference schedule but we can't and don't overwhelm the teams fans most want us to beat.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, imaolgatiger said:

Some can’t comprehend, so it makes them feel better to continue to talk about it.

You sir, are correct. That is how we deal with the frustration. Lol 😁

1 hour ago, DAG said:

So are you arguing we do or don't have overwhelming talent? Because on one side you are saying we can't win with our overwhelming talent, but then you compare us to other teams WHO ALSO HAVE OVERWHELMING TALENT. We are #8 in the nation out of 120 something schools in terms of recruiting. Talent/recruiting has never been the issue. We lost to Minnesota last year, but we also beat Oregon , Texas  A&M and Bama. You aren't beating those teams if you don't have the talent to match those squads (2 OUT OF 3 of them have top ten talent). We played LSU to their best game at HOME. LSU has been annihilating teams. You can't do that if you don't have crazy good talent. Auburn has NC quality players and I wish our fans would recognize that. However, Talent alone won't just win you games. It can save you most of the time, but you have to have the coaching too. 

Some of y'all are big time prisoner of the moments. I like at next year schedule and I don't see how any rationale poster could have us at 6-6. I need some explanations on that one.

We have really good talent. I’m aware of who we beat, and who we’ve squeaked by, and who we lost to over several seasons. I’m also aware of our record VS Bama, LSU,  UGA, Clemson and bowl games under Gus. Are you claiming we have talent on their level?  I’m no prisoner of the moment. I’m prisoner of the head to head records, recruiting rankings, and NFL over the last 7 years.  So I stand by my premise: we have really good talent that makes us very competitive, but are not overwhelming or dominant. 

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And I acknowledged that we may win 9 next year. Or 6 or 7. I’m basing my opinion on recent history. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I like at next year schedule and I don't see how any rationale poster could have us at 6-6. I need some explanations on that one.

Like this: lose to UAT and UGA on the road (recent performance indicates that’s very likely) lose to LSU (very possible) lose to TAMU who loses all of 5 seniors this year, lose to an ACC team with a really strong QB and great coach, then get upset by a likely improved Ole Miss team, or an increasingly competitive UK team. As stated in my OP, I can also see how we win 9 games as well. Gus’s history of losing at least 4 games a year career at AU says that both scenarios are possible. 

Archived