PTB Update

Butthead

On 1/10/2020 at 2:48 PM, auburn4ever said:

With a rebuilding coming in 2020, the West just got harder with the hiring of Kiffin, Leach & Pittman. Not to mention the coaches that's here for a while. Saban, Fisher & O. There's no way in he'll Malzahn can ever compete with those teams year in and year out. Gus has fallen all the way down to the bottom of the poll of coach in the SEC West. I truly hope Allen Greene and powers at be enjoying watching Malzahn win 7 to 9 games every single year. Gus Malzahn is a high school that's getting paid 7 million a year for losing 4 or more games every year for the last 6 years in a row.

I've seen you make some ridiculous statements but this is a whole new level of derangement. 

I get being fed up with Gus. But saying he has fallen below a coach who have never coached A SINGLE GAME as head coach anywhere is a bit much. Saying he is below a coach who has never coached A SINGLE GAME in the SEC is a bit much. And I get being concerned with Kiffin but he isnt at a blueblood. He is at a Mississippi school. /argument. 

Seriously...

m79sb.jpg

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, creed said:

Can you give an example what other schools are offering in quality of life for athletes that Auburn doesn't offer?

South Carolina 

These facilities are common now. Places like Wake Forest, and Kentucky have them. Alabama, LSU, Clemson have them. Some schools have had them for 10 years.

1 hour ago, creed said:

A building is all you got, come on. A place where limits are enforced to around 20 hours per week.

No. These players spend a lot of time at these buildings because they offer things outside of football. And things that help them beyond the practice time with coaches. 

32 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

South Carolina 

Okay, finally some details into what the beef is with some of you. Some of it's superficial, and possibly could be considered skirting impermissible benefits,  since all it takes is one normal student complaining he can't get a haircut (free?) from the team barber. But now I see why some of you think the university is not up to the levels of other teams.

19 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

Best I have seen. Big brother Clemson.

Have seen these. Would be more interested in seeing what these schools upgraded from. Not buying that our facilities or what we offer in "quality of life" has been outdated and bad for the last 20 to 30 years. Sure we need upgrades and everything is cyclical. Have confidence that we will improve and upgrade as needed. Think some people are overly concerned with "keeping up with joneses".  Guess there would be more urgency if we were light years away from the pack in recruiting.  

2 hours ago, creed said:

A building is all you got, come on. A place where limits are enforced to around 20 hours per week.

I dont know what to tell you. If you think these things are worthless, why exactly are people spending between 50 and 100 million dollars on these facilities? To just throw their money away?

When schools like South Carolina and Kentucky have them and we don't, its astonishing ANYONE would think it's no big deal. Nevermind all our main rivals have a football only facility... I guess you just think we are Auburn and dont need one... 

We absolutely do need one but I guess you are welcome to keep living in your alternate universe. 

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Have seen these. Would be more interested in seeing what these schools upgraded from. Not buying that our facilities or what we offer in "quality of life" has been outdated and bad for the last 20 to 30 years. Sure we need upgrades and everything is cyclical. Have confidence that we will improve and upgrade as needed. Think some people are overly concerned with "keeping up with joneses".  Guess there would be more urgency if we were light years away from the pack in recruiting.  

I don't think an upper tier program should be trying to catch up to Wake Forest and Kentucky. Stewardship of the program reflects on the desire and will of the University to work hard, and be an upper tier program, and if they want to compete for championships. Or just be there for the profits. 

I also feel hiring decisions for coaches reflect the will of the program. Do you hire a buddy at Arkansas State or Iowa State? Or do you hire the proven up and coming coach at Wyoming? One type wins championships consistently. One does enough to keep making profits. 

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I guess you just think we are Auburn and dont need one... 

If the PTB, BoT, donors and fans are good with 4 - 5 losses a year, you definitely don't need one. See the correlation there?

6 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I don't think an upper tier program should be trying to catch up to Wake Forest and Kentucky. Stewardship of the program reflects on the desire and will of the University to work hard, and be an upper tier program, and if they want to compete for championships. Or just be there for the profits. 

I also feel hiring decisions for coaches reflect the will of the program. Do you hire a buddy at Arkansas State or Iowa State? Or do you hire the proven up and coming coach at Wyoming? One type wins championships consistently. One does enough to keep making profits. 

Look to basketball program. Working pretty hard to catch up with WF and Kentucky. Catching up with them in football not worth the conversation. 

Hiring  the "up and coming coach from Wyoming" does not happen often. Right time, right place and btw, if my memory serves me Coach Dye was choice #3 after Dooley and Sherill.

I have no problem with 7 mil per year Gus is being paid. In my mind nothing more than a statement showing our willingness to compensate coaches in likeness with other "top tier" programs. Granted the contracts appear obscene. Need not look far across state to understand where the salaries escalation evolved.   

26 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Look to basketball program. Working pretty hard to catch up with WF and Kentucky. Catching up with them in football not worth the conversation. 

Hiring  the "up and coming coach from Wyoming" does not happen often. Right time, right place and btw, if my memory serves me Coach Dye was choice #3 after Dooley and Sherill.

I have no problem with 7 mil per year Gus is being paid. In my mind nothing more than a statement showing our willingness to compensate coaches in likeness with other "top tier" programs. Granted the contracts appear obscene. Need not look far across state to understand where the salaries escalation evolved.   

The basketball team improved after facilities and coaches were upgraded. I think the football program will need the same upgrades to evolve beyond the current mediocre results.

I dont care what the going rate for a coach is. I do care who they entrust that position to. A coach that averages 4.4 losses per season over 7 years with a 2-5 bowl record is a failure. But as long as the school is making money I dont think they care.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 1:49 PM, johnnyAU said:

We need a Malzahnectomy instead. A Gustraction. 

Malzhanlobotomy and just forget the entire mess!

On 1/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, AUDevil said:

Mismanage and create a crisis, then use difficulty of navigating said crisis to lower standards moving forward.  That's a game you can play indefinitely at Auburn, apparently.

That's how the corporate world works, for sure!

On 1/7/2020 at 2:05 PM, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

Gus is here to stay. Love it or hate it. PTB are aware of discontent, but just look at it as fans being fans. They have the opinion that we played 6 teams in the top 10, and the bowl loss was because it was Minn’s super bowl and we weren’t as motivated. They think that once Burrow (sp?) is gone that LSU will come back down to earth and that the chance of a great season once out of 5 years is worth the 4 years of mediocrity. They see us as graduating players and playing clean with the NCAA (something they fear is looming for our BB program btw.) Greene is a peace-keeper. 

It's very comforting to hear that Auburn is managing the athletic program based on covert intelligence of everyone else's expectations. We dare not set expectations and self-goals.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:41 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Appreciate that. 

There are some whispers about the NCAA spanking us in BBall...but that’s all I know. Nothing specific or credible yet.

Would be a shocker...:drippingsarcasm7pa:

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That's how the corporate world works, for sure!

My sarcasm meter on this subject is enhanced by my current MBA studies.  You'll be unhappy to note that the athletic department just released the financial statements for the most recent fiscal year.  In terms of how the corporate world works, there is no lowering of standards.  Revenues are historically high, profits also very strong.  Those are figures that overrule any "expectation or self goals" where Dr. Gougue is concerned, and he's the only PTB that matters ....

Auburn athletics reports record revenue, increased profit during 2018-19 fiscal year

AUBURN — Auburn's athletics department reported a record revenue of more than $152.4 million during the 2019-fiscal year, according to the university’s NCAA Membership Financial Report.

That's an increase of nearly $5 million from the 2017-18 total of $147.6 million, which was the previous record. It also marks the seventh straight year that revenues have increased.

Auburn's profit margin also rose, according to the annual report released to the Montgomery Advertiser on Thursday in response to a Freedom of Information Act request — the department reported an operating excess of nearly $13.2 million.

That's more than the $7.8 million total reported during the 2017-18 fiscal year, but not quite as high as the $14.6 million and $15.2 million in profit Auburn claimed in 2016-17 and 2015-16, respectively.

Auburn's operating expenses decreased, from $139.7 million in 2017-18 to $139.2 million in 2018-19.

Football ($95.1 million) and men's basketball ($15.5 million) accounted for more than 70% of the department's revenue. Both sports made more than they did the year prior ($93.5 million and $11.2 million, respectively).

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2020/01/23/auburn-athletics-department-reports-record-revenue-increase-profit-2018-19-fiscal-year-allen-greene/4554072002/

I really think we are OK with the NCAA with our BB program. If something was going to happen, it would have already happened. I think we can enjoy our BB program for the long term and see them winning big for us.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Beating. Alabama. Is. Not. Enough. 

No it's not. However, the erroneous statement was made that Gus had two wins over Alabama. He has three. There's nothing so easy to disregard as a critic who can't get his facts straight.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

There's nothing so easy to disregard as a critic who can't get his facts straight.

You don't say...

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Beating. Alabama. Is. Not. Enough. 

^ yes, infinity. 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, AUBourne said:

The basketball team improved after facilities and coaches were upgraded. I think the football program will need the same upgrades to evolve beyond the current mediocre results.

New facilities are nice and necessary but they’re not going to equate to wins. They’ll help with recruiting but if you have a coach that can’t get the best playmakers on the field at the same time, getting higher ranked classes doesn’t matter. The coach is the important factor here that needs to be changed to expect more. 

Gus is a perennial 8-4 coach that occasionally beats Alabama, but loses to LSU and Georgia regularly and loses in postseason 71% of the time. He pulls in good recruiting classes and the players stay out of trouble. He’s put Auburn in an uncomfortable limbo of never being able to reach the mountaintop, hovering about 3/4 of the way up the slope and rarely sliding down further, but unable to change anything about it because the safety harness is made of bulletproof Kevlar (buyout) and is stuck in the side of the mountain and can’t be moved.

Im not optimistic that the football only facility, as awesome as it could be, will change Gus’ fortunes on the field. He’ll still sit and simmer around that 4 losses per year stew regardless. A new coach? It could be a difference. But at this point, after 7 years, we know what we have. 

Archived