Your 1st Auburn game attended...

Swamp Eagle

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Coach Jordan loved the guy and said he was "tougher than a Lee County pine knot". He dated and later married my then girlfriend and now wife's  sorority sister. Never really knew him in those days but met a few times at tailgates in later years and seemed like a great guy.  Am also having a tough time recalling an 82 yard run. Pretty uncommon by a QB in those days.

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2014/10/former-au-quarterback-phil-gargis-talks-about-the-1974-auburn-mississippi-state-game-that-led

He ran it, trust me. I remember...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st Auburn game was Auburn vs. Georgia in 2003. My sister was a student at Georgia, so my dad and I came down for the game. From what I remember, we had great seats, but that was about the only thing great about the game for Auburn. We didn't score until the final minutes of the game, and lost 7-26. More than anything, I remember admiring David Greene of Georgia. That guy sold a play fake as well as anyone I've ever watched. 

First home game was 2004 Arkansas at Auburn. First play of the game was a throwback pass from Jason Campbell to Devin Aromashodu for a 67 yard touchdown. I had a good looking date and great seats on Auburn's 25 yard line that we paid $10 each for. Those are pretty much the only three things that I remember 😂

1998 vs Louisiana Tech. I got to the see the legend of Michael Burks in person. It was a few days after Terry Bowden had quit I remember lol

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

1st Auburn game was Auburn vs. Georgia in 2003. My sister was a student at Georgia, so my dad and I came down for the game. From what I remember, we had great seats, but that was about the only thing great about the game for Auburn. We didn't score until the final minutes of the game, and lost 7-26. More than anything, I remember admiring David Greene of Georgia. That guy sold a play fake as well as anyone I've ever watched. 

First home game was 2004 Arkansas at Auburn. First play of the game was a throwback pass from Jason Campbell to Devin Aromashodu for a 67 yard touchdown. I had a good looking date and great seats on Auburn's 25 yard line that we paid $10 each for. Those are pretty much the only three things that I remember 😂

:drink1:

Mine was 85. Don't remember the opponent. I wasn't really that into football yet but a kid at school invited me to go with him and his mom to the game. My only real memory is throwing the football around with the other kids on the lawn outside the stadium before the game. 

So yeah, I saw Bo Jackson play but don't really remember it. :(  (Thank goodness I made up for it in 2010.) 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

:drink1:

Mine was 85. Don't remember the opponent. I wasn't really that into football yet but a kid at school invited me to go with him and his mom to the game. My only real memory is throwing the football around with the other kids on the lawn outside the stadium before the game. 

So yeah, I saw Bo Jackson play but don't really remember it. :(  (Thank goodness I made up for it in 2010.) 

There are a few players I wish I could have seen, or wish I remembered seeing. Bo is one of them. I remember watching Jordan play, but I was too young to really appreciate it. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

There are a few players I wish I could have seen, or wish I remembered seeing. Bo is one of them. I remember watching Jordan play, but I was too young to really appreciate it. 

Yeah. Jordan was what people say he was. That play where he was going up to dunk with his right hand... thought a defender's hand was coming across... switched to the left hand at the last second and laid it in... all of this happening above the rim... I'm grateful I got to watch that happen on live TV.

I wish I'd paid more attention to Bo playing baseball. That seems to be the arena where he did things that no other baseball player would even try. 

I grew up pretty spoiled in regards to Auburn Football as my grandfather has had 4 season tickets for 50+ years.  I remember going to the games as a kid, but i couldn't match the team or the years.  I remember moments of certain games, but probably couldn't match the game with which year it was.

The 1st one that really stands out to me was vs Ole Miss at home when Eli Manning was the QB, think I was 14-15.  I brought my best friend with me and I think either Obamanu or Aromashodu dropped a TD pass my grandmother could have made to win the game. The Jason Cambell era was when I started really following Auburn Football. 

My first Auburn game was in the 1973 opener against Oregon State in Birmingham. We won 18-9. It was a rare double header at Legion field. Alabama played earlier against their opponent. My first game at Auburn was the 1980 game against Georgia. We lost 31-21 but held Hershel Walker to just 75 yards rushing.

Univ. of Tennessee/Chattanooga, 1957.

Auburn man ever since.

All hands...I witnessed a terrible rear end collision on I-85/Atlanta. Two fatalities. I attended a court hearing as a witness. The other driver was an illegal, high on drugs, DUI, several warrants, long time offender, documented sex offender.

I say this to be please to be aware of highway threats. Attention to following distance, intersections, DON'T text.

HANDS...STAY SAFE.

September 20th 1969 Auburn home game against Wake Forest. Pat Sullivan's and Terry Beasley's first game as Varsity players. Freshman couldn't play on Varsity back then.  We waxed Wake Forest couldn't have asked for a better first game seeing two legends and waxing another team. It was a great time to be at Auburn starting the Sullivan Beasley era then in 72 the Punt bama Punt game.

I claim two. 

1) UGA in 04.  I was a high school senior making my rounds visiting campuses.  I had been to UGA earlier in the week, and really liked it. I had the good fortune of visiting Auburn on a gameday, and boy was it a doozy.  

We received the unfortunate advice to wait until right before kickoff and there will be very cheap tickets available outside of the stadium. Due to the magnitude of the game there was not.  We didn't get in, but just being on the plains on a big gameday won me over.  

2) Ga Tech in 05, my first game my freshman year. Very dissapointing first result in the stadium, you can see why I like to claim thr UGA game instead. 

1984 vs GT

One of my favorite memories was my sister screams out as loud as she could..."BOOO BUMBLEBEES". I looked at her and said "they're the yellow jackets". I was 5

1981 loss to Wake Forest.  I grew up in the Auburn-Opelika area, but didn't get many opportunities to go to Auburn games.  I remembering going at least one with the Boy Scouts and selling concessions, but don't recall the specific games as I wasn't really in a position to watch the games.  Later, when I got out of the Navy, moved back,  and went to school at Auburn (mid to late 90s), I went to games as much as my schedule would permit.  

I think my earliest memory at a game is when Auburn came out in orange jerseys against UGA in 1978. AU had warmed up in their regular jerseys and then switched them before they took the field. Six year old me thought it was amazing. My parents were season ticket holders so I def attended games before that but can't remember them. The oldest memory where I can actually remember the game itself was a road trip at Wake Forest in '79 that we lost. 

1971 Gator Bowl.  I was nine.  The tickets were in our Christmas Stockings.  Mom thought it would be cold and had us bundled up real good.  We wound up sitting in the sun and and sweating.  Auburn won 35-28.  Sullivan vs. Daddy Manning.  Sullivan had a couple of TD passes and 351 yards in the air. The other standout memory of the game was watching Archie on a particular run where Ole Miss had a third and twenty or more and he dropped back to pass and weaved and scrambled around and must of run 100 yards on the play to barely pick up the first down.

22 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

September 5th 1987  #5 Auburn vs Texas with Eric Metcalf

Pat Dye with Larry Blakeney and Pat Sullivan as OC's and Wayne Hall as DC

Friends with the late Kurt Crain through youth baseball in Auburn. Kurt worked as G A coach in those days and in the coaches press box on game day. Said with offense by committee that it was amazing we ever got a play off. Blakeney was in the coaches box while Sullivan was on the sideline. Dye, of course, could override any play call by the OC's. Problem was that Dye refused to wear headphones.  

On one particular play change by Dye,  Blakeney felt it cost us a would have been TD and went berserk according to Kurt. Screamed at Sullivan to "tell that SOB to put a set of headphones on and get his ass in the game if he wants to change our plays, we had them set up perfectly." Sullivan responded "you tell him" then handed his head phones over to Dye. Kurt said the only words he heard from Larry were "yes sir, yes sir, I see.  

1998 opener, hosted UVA and got shut out. That was the beginning of my 4 years which I think was actually the worst 4 year stretch in the last 40 years if my research is correct. 😥

1998 3-8 (no bowl)

1999 5-6 (no bowl)

2000 9-4 (bowl loss)

2001 7-5 (bowl loss)

But hey, we started a real nice run right after I left!

1 hour ago, Auburn02 said:

1998 opener, hosted UVA and got shut out. That was the beginning of my 4 years which I think was actually the worst 4 year stretch in the last 40 years if my research is correct. 😥

1998 3-8 (no bowl)

1999 5-6 (no bowl)

2000 9-4 (bowl loss)

2001 7-5 (bowl loss)

But hey, we started a real nice run right after I left!

At least you got to see some great basketball during your time as a student!

On 1/7/2020 at 1:56 PM, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Jordan was what people say he was. That play where he was going up to dunk with his right hand... thought a defender's hand was coming across... switched to the left hand at the last second and laid it in... all of this happening above the rim... I'm grateful I got to watch that happen on live TV.

I wish I'd paid more attention to Bo playing baseball. That seems to be the arena where he did things that no other baseball player would even try. 

:wavey: I can vouch for this. 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, aucanucktiger said:

1981 victory over LSU

I was there, also. 3 QB day for us. Won 19-7. The really cool thing for me was being on the field pre-game with the recruits and shaking Coach Dye's hand. 

I'm an old guy. I was an Auburn student then.

First game attended -- Auburn vs GT, 1970, Pat Sullivan led us to victory in Jordan Hare

First away game -- Auburn vs Bama, 1970 at Legion Field, when Pat Sullivan again led us to victory.

Auburn finished 11-2 that year counting the bowl win. We had wins over Tenn, Clemson, GT, Florida and Bama, and ended up ranked #10.

Archived