Punter

TexasTiger

On 1/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’d bet we go after a juco transfer punter soon. At least I hope we do 

Keep an eye out for the Troy Grad Transfer Punter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm thinking if the season started tomorrow rising soph Patrick Markwalter would be the punter. Of course, the season doesn't start tomorrow so there's a lot to be settled between now and next season.

Just relaying what AU reporters are saying FWIW.

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't like my QB to be a punter, knowing he could get hurt there too.

How often do punters get hurt punting the ball? Very rarely.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agreed, but I wonder how much easier a roughing the kicker penalty is to swallow if the kicker is QB1...

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

All it takes is 1 time, and do you really want your QB back there? We're a good enough program we shouldn't rely on our ONLY good QB to be the punter too...that is all I am saying..

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed, but I wonder how much easier a roughing the kicker penalty is to swallow if the kicker is QB1...

Between the D having to play back to protect against a 4th down attempt and that the QB isn't taking a 4 step runup to kick the ball, it just gets off his foot too quickly for any defender to really get close enough to hit him. Which, of course, means that any hit on the QB in that case is probably going to be so late that it's gonna be hard to swallow the flag.

I would actually love to see us run the QB quick kick more often on 4th and 4 or so...Nix has the speed and the arm that we could steal some possessions.

35 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

do you really want your QB back there?

Doesn't bother me if he's the best punter on the team.

43 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Between the D having to play back to protect against a 4th down attempt and that the QB isn't taking a 4 step runup to kick the ball, it just gets off his foot too quickly for any defender to really get close enough to hit him. Which, of course, means that any hit on the QB in that case is probably going to be so late that it's gonna be hard to swallow the flag.

I would actually love to see us run the QB quick kick more often on 4th and 4 or so...Nix has the speed and the arm that we could steal some possessions.

Agreed about the quick kick- I actually love that Gus uses it- but we're talking hypothetically about actually having the QB as a full-time punter. Apologies if I misunderstand your post. 

Wait, what happened to Siposs? Wasn't he just a junior in 2019?

Just now, McLoofus said:

Jesus, dude.

I've been out of the loop completely while trying to figure out how to teach math to 7th and 8th graders who struggle with basic addition and subtraction. A simple answer would be nice.

Just now, ellitor said:

Thank you. I googled his name, thinking that might have been what happened, but didn't see any mention of him leaving early. Oh well.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Thank you. I googled his name, thinking that might have been what happened, but didn't see any mention of him leaving early. Oh well.

Glad I googled "Siposs draft" then. lol

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Glad I googled "Siposs draft" then. lol

Yeah, I guess that would have been the smarter thing to do.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't bother me if he's the best punter on the team.

At first I thought you were kidding.  Is he actually a really good punter?  Do you know what his average is kicking?  That could actually bring a new dynamic to the table if our QB was the punter because every kick means we could potentially fake it and throw it.  It would bring defenses up and not set up for the return.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Is he actually a really good punter?

Didn't say really good or even good. Just supposedly the best we have right now.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Do you know what his average is kicking?

Nope.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That could actually bring a new dynamic to the table if our QB was the punter because every kick means we could potentially fake it and throw it.  It would bring defenses up and not set up for the return.

Yup.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

At first I thought you were kidding.  Is he actually a really good punter?  Do you know what his average is kicking?  That could actually bring a new dynamic to the table if our QB was the punter because every kick means we could potentially fake it and throw it.  It would bring defenses up and not set up for the return.

He's done well on the quick kicks. If we DID go with Bo at punter, I doubt we'd line him up in full punt formation, but he almost certainly won't be our "primary" punter. At best, if we don't get a good enough punter, I could see Gus running the quick kick when the distance is favorable, and frankly, I wouldn't mind that happening at all, even if we don't get a good punter.

42 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I've been out of the loop completely while trying to figure out how to teach math to 7th and 8th graders who struggle with basic addition and subtraction. A simple answer would be nice.

Your teaching now??

45 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Welcome back!

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Your teaching now??

Yes. I took over as the long term sub for a teacher who was having health issues last fall, and they just hired a new full time teacher so I'm back to regular subbing every now and then and tutoring. Also have another part time job that I just took on to make up the hours I'm losing, and I'm back at AUM part time to eventually get my master's so I can teach in college, which is WAY more on my level. Because of my wreck, I seriously cannot remember a time when I didn't know all the math up to Algebra 1, so breaking down the most basic elements of math for special needs kids just isn't my forte. When I subbed for the Algebra 1 and Geometry/Algebra 2 teachers (only a couple of days each), it was a lot easier, both because I didn't have to come up with lesson plans and because I CAN break down that level to pieces they understand.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Welcome back!

Thanks man. I'm not sure how much I'll be on going forward, because as I mentioned in my most previous comment, I just started back to school and I've got two part time jobs (and I don't do well typing on my cell phone), but I should be around more since it's still basketball season. I just came in here to get caught up on all the recruiting tidbits now that I have time.

Archived