looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

But it's also all Kodi knows as a former WR himself....

Being a WR for 2 seasons does not make one qualified to coach the position. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t recruit well, two years in a row without 1,000 yard rusher, and two quarterbacks in a row who suffered from happy feet due to a lack of trustworthy blocking. We have looked WEAK in the trenches offensively. 

Not sure why at his age he doesn’t just retire and the “looking for new opportunities” thing is almost insulting to the general public as if they don’t know the truth. 

Names listed as potentials currently By 247

Dustin Fry: Former Arky OL Coach

Harry Hiestand: Bears OL coach

Kendall Simmons

Ryan Pugh

Stacy Searels: UNC OL coach

Chris Kapilovic: Colorado OL coach

Adrian Klemm: Steelers OL coach

Stephen Sorrells: CFL Roughriders, was a grad assistant for CM at SMU

Judging by this tweet sounds like JG is hinting at Dustin Frye.

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Being a WR for 2 seasons does not make one qualified to coach the position. 

I mean not to dog on Kodi the player too bad bc I have respect for the way he handled his situation, but one thing that makes Garner and TWill (and prolly Caddy) plus coaches is that they were legit DUDES as players. All-SEC type talents that were coached by great coaches while players and they just have more experiences to draw from IMO. 

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You probably are in the same zip code. With how Gus hires he will probably go after Ryan Pugh at Troy. And yes I know he's OC in name but he doesn't call plays. I'm sure if Gus wanted him bad enough he could get him with the standard Troy to AU pay bump.

Sad  but true.  My money is that Gus hires a yes man.

5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I mean not to dog on Kodi the player too bad bc I have respect for the way he handled his situation, but one thing that makes Garner and TWill (and prolly Caddy) plus coaches is that they were legit DUDES as players. All-SEC type talents that were coached by great coaches while players and they just have more experiences to draw from IMO. 

We could hire the best WR coach in the world whoever that might be and some AU fans would blame him for the lack of production at wr when most of us know better. Until Gus changes nothing will change with this offense. All our offensive coaches are handcuffed by Malzahn. All I ask is they be good recruiters and all of them have been besides JB. Got to hope whoever we get can finally turn around OL crutin.

Once again coaching wr's is the easiest job in the world. It's the position easiest to identify, hit a homerun with a under appreciated kid, and easy to develop. You just have to have an offense that uses them and have a decent qb. It really is that simple. 

Everybody runs the same routes when they practice, practices the same way, do the same things to improve all of that. Kodi is no different than anybody else that has coached our wr's.......once the coach gets here they are great blockers.

O line is different, bunch of technique involved. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

We could hire the best WR coach in the world whoever that might be and some AU fans would blame him for the lack of production at wr when most of us know better. Until Gus changes nothing will change with this offense. All our offensive coaches are handcuffed by Malzahn. All I ask is they be good recruiters and all of them have been besides JB. Got tobl hope whoever we get can finally turn around OL crutin.

I hear you, Gus is the main fault in our offensive stars. I've had my many complaints about Gustav as well, but we all know that cat will never change his stripes. 

Sure, WR coach can be the easiest gig ever, but one could also turn into a Dabo or PJ Fleck who consistently turn out NFL caliber WRs, even ones who were under the radar fliers.

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I hear you, Gus is the main fault in our offensive stars. I've had my many complaints about Gustav as well, but we all know that cat will never change his stripes. 

Sure, WR coach can be the easiest gig ever, but one could also turn into a Dabo or PJ Fleck who consistently turn out NFL caliber WRs, even ones who were under the radar fliers.

The scheme of the offense is everything. The only position in this offense that should be attractive to recruits is RB. And that is just because of the sheer amount of times we run it. 

It is telling that the most important thing for Gus when it comes to our WRs is how good they can block. Like Cole said. We have brought in 5 and 4 star wrs under Gus basically to just block. It is infuriating and continues to be.

If we fire Grimes just so that Chad Morris can bring Arky’s OL coach with him, then I’m going to be royally pissed! 

Gus - this is your last chance to make a great hire! If you screw this up, you are done at Auburn. Period. Everything depends on the OL.

What about the OL coach we had back when Chiz was here?  His name was also  grimes. Don’t feel like taking the time to google where on earth he is now.   

1 minute ago, aubietiger14 said:

What about the OL coach we had back when Chiz was here?  His name was also  grimes. Don’t feel like taking the time to google where on earth he is now.   

He is the offensive coordinator at BYU

42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The scheme of the offense is everything. The only position in this offense that should be attractive to recruits is RB. And that is just because of the sheer amount of times we run it. 

It is telling that the most important thing for Gus when it comes to our WRs is hoe good they can block. Like Cole said. We have brought in 5 and 4 star wrs under Gus basically to just block. It is infuriating and continues to be.

The way we can't seem to manage time with the hb's take away from our one spot where we should shine like you said. But I don't want to go off railsbut your right

7 hours ago, aubietiger14 said:

Jeff Grimes. I know we recruited really well when he was here. Not sure if it was Grimes doing the heavy lifting or the Bagman himself Trooper Taylor pulling the weight. I do seem to remember recruits speaking very highly of him. 

Archived