looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What’s the point of having Simmons on the staff if we don’t take a serious look at making him the new coach

9 hours ago, AuJoe said:

Very interested in seeing or hearing from Bird and/or JMR on who they think would be a good, viable and realistic candidate for this job knowing everything they know about Gus and who is available out there. 

Not sure how viable due to Gus and his network, but one of my first calls would be to Henson at TAMU.

My two favorite have new jobs now. Silverfield took over Memphis and FSU just hired Atkins. 

12 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

What’s the point of having Simmons on the staff if we don’t take a serious look at making him the new coach

Why is Kodi Burns on the staff if we're not giving him a serious look at offensive coordinator? Why am I employed if I'm not getting a serious look at CEO? Actually, don't answer that. And for God's sake please don't ask my boss.

Simmons is working his way up. He just got into the business recently.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why is Kodi Burns on the staff if we're not giving him a serious look at offensive coordinator? Why am I employed if I'm not getting a serious look at CEO? Actually, don't answer that. And for God's sake please don't ask my boss.

Simmons is working his way up. He just got into the business recently.

My point is myself and others said when he was hired that Grimes would be stepping down within 2 years and Simmons takes over. Imo it’s a no brainer here. I’ve personally never seen him coach but to me he is well qualified and knows what to expect and look for in a player.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

At this point Gus keeps falling backwards in to good choices when making these hires in hiring former AU players. It is the laziest and most meh possible hire but I can't complain about the results. Twill is a great recruiter. Kodi is a good to really good recruiter and Caddy is off to a great start in crutin. So hey maybe that is the formula to stack as many former AU players as possible on staff. It seems to be working. *Knocks on wood*. Of course that is not even mentioning the OG RG who has a long history of being a great recruiter. It would be such a meh hire but I don't care as long as it works out.

And yet our running game has gone backwards and our receivers can’t catch a cold. I’d much rather Gus get a top coach at a position so crucial to our sort of offense, but he likes to hire learning on the job coaches so that’s likely what we’ll wind up with.

Just now, JMassie11 said:

My point is myself and others said when he was hired that Grimes would be stepping down within 2 years and Simmons takes over. Imo it’s a no brainer here. I’ve personally never seen him coach but to me he is well qualified and knows what to expect and look for in a player.

Why specifically is he qualified?

What specific information did you base your prediction off of? I mean, the JB stepping down part was easy. Why did you predict Simmons as his successor? What has he done in the last two years to make you think he is ready to take JB's place?

30 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

To gain coaching experience. Playing is completely different than coaching.

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not sure how viable due to Gus and his network, but one of my first calls would be to Henson at TAMU.

My two favorite have new jobs now. Silverfield took over Memphis and FSU just hired Atkins. 

Is Henson the current TAMU Oline coach? I’m asking because It seems like every time I watched them play, Mond was running for his life or getting sacked. What is Henson’s background?

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Is Henson the current TAMU Oline coach? I’m asking because It seems like every time I watched them play, Mond was running for his life or getting sacked. What is Henson’s background?

https://12thman.com/staff-directory/josh-henson/1728

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Looks like he's a pretty good recruiter to boot. That would be something we have not seen with Grimes and could help us land some 4 and 5 star guys on the line and who knows, maybe with some good evaluations the high star guys might actually stay and pay off. ****bonus****

Bird, I know this is probably almost impossible to answer but do you think this guy is on Gus' list of candidates?

Well of course Chad Morris is going to want his guy since he is the OC. Under normal circumstances that would make sense, but since Gus refuses to even allow for input, I don't see how this would work.

13 minutes ago, AuJoe said:

Looks like he's a pretty good recruiter to boot. That would be something we have not seen with Grimes and could help us land some 4 and 5 star guys on the line and who knows, maybe with some good evaluations the high star guys might actually stay and pay off. ****bonus****

Bird, I know this is probably almost impossible to answer but do you think this guy is on Gus' list of candidates?

No telling, but seeing his network and past hiring tendencies...I'd say no

My vote is go hire an NFL  OL coach  (with so many NFL staffs is flux)  and try to 'wow' the recruits with a "direct pipeline" to NFL coaches for evaluations and tips/mentoring. 

Pls make a splash with this hire so we land Jones.

I'd like to start by wishing Grimes a heartfelt thank you for his time and effort as a coach at AU. 

Now i'm pretty excited this happened as we needed some reason to hope for improved OL play and recruiting. Don't know if the new guy will bring us those things but at least there is hope now! I will say the timing of this seems odd to me. Would have been nice to have this happen a couple weeks ago so we could be naming a new guy already. As it stands now we have a very short amount of time to get a new guy in and have him close the deal on Jones or any other guys that are looking our way. 

While I absolutely want a wow hire at this position, I have a 5% chance that it will happen.  He has had 1 WOW hire in my opinion and that is Muschamp. 

We have had one NFL caliber lineman recruited and that was Braden Smith.  We have not recruited another lineman fitting his profile.  We have not recruited guys that have had his dedication and commitment to his craft.  The jury is still out on some of these young guys.

Those wanting a wow hire need to realize most OL coaches are not wow hires. Most are unknown entities.

Just now seeing this news about JB leaving, and I'm surprised I'm this apathetic towards it. Guess I'm numb at this point and fully expect multiple losses due to poor offense again next year.

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

And yet our running game has gone backwards and our receivers can’t catch a cold. I’d much rather Gus get a top coach at a position so crucial to our sort of offense, but he likes to hire learning on the job coaches so that’s likely what we’ll wind up with.

I do not understand this. I know these were some drops, but what team doesn't have them. We had some incredible catches by multiple guys this year. Seth Williams may some doosies.....Sal Canella I think may have been most improved. I do not see the bad hands like some of you. I do believe there is room to improve in perimeter blocking and route running....but I honestly think the routes have more to do with Gus than Kodi.

I think we should hire an OL coach from the NFL. A guy who's been around the pro game for a number of years and did a great job.

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Those wanting a wow hire need to realize most OL coaches are not wow hires. Most are unknown entities.

I think both ole miss and arky got wow hires.

48 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

While I absolutely want a wow hire at this position, I have a 5% chance that it will happen.  He has had 1 WOW hire in my opinion and that is Muschamp. 

We have had one NFL caliber lineman recruited and that was Braden Smith.  We have not recruited another lineman fitting his profile.  We have not recruited guys that have had his dedication and commitment to his craft.  The jury is still out on some of these young guys.

Herb Hand was considered to  be a wow hire by many.

Archived