looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

For OL?

Yep, Clements from the Briles tree at Ole Miss is a great hire.  Davis and his background is as well at Arkansas.  Both considered top coaches and for those schools to get them is surprising.  

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Herb Hand was considered to  be a wow hire by many.

And Hand is one of the highest paid coaches at his position today and is doing a fine job when he is allowed to do it and doesn’t have to fit square pegs in round holes.

besides recruiting deficiencies I think there are major deficiencies in the blocking scheme that the offensive line coach is forced to work with.

Just now, auburnphan said:

And Hand is one of the highest paid coaches at his position today and is doing a fine job when he is allowed to do it and doesn’t have to fit square pegs in round holes.

I take it, then, that you think Herb Hand is a good offensive line coach.  Based on that and your previous post, how would making a wow hire at o-line now work out for Auburn if his hands would be tied?  Your posts seem to be logically inconsistent.   

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not sure how viable due to Gus and his network, but one of my first calls would be to Henson at TAMU.

Spot on here. Gus doesn't know Henson, so mark him off. I'm prepared for an underwhelming hire, and it'll be someone Gus used to coach with or coached when they were a player under him.

3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I take it, then, that you think Herb Hand is a good offensive line coach.  Based on that and your previous post, how would making a wow hire at o-line now work out for Auburn if his hands would be tied?  Your posts seem to be logically inconsistent.   

Never said it would work, your comprehension seems off. Also I edite my reply to u as we both posted.

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

One thing I always found interesting with Hand is he talked about what type of guy he wanted to recruit publicly.  And as we know now is that Gus was deciding who they could recruit.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Never said it would work, your comprehension seems off. Also I edite my reply to u as we both posted.

How is my comprehension off?  Why do you want a 'wow hire' at o-line  coach if he's not going to be allowed to do his job?  Or do you think that Gus has turned over a new leaf?

5 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

How is my comprehension off?  Why do you want a 'wow hire' at o-line  coach if he's not going to be allowed to do his job?  Or do you think that Gus has turned over a new leaf?

I said I give it a 5% chance, never said I expect one and don’t expect to get one as Gus has never had one on offense and only one his entire time here in Muschamp.  But besides that of course I want the best hired at Auburn, doesn’t everyone that is a fan want that?

13 hours ago, The Freak said:

I don't know whether to be glad we may be able to upgrade or sad Gus just bought an excuse in advance.

What do you mean?  All of our problems are fixed.  It happens every year.  Let the hype season begin.  Where’s the Tylenol?

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I said I give it a 5% chance, never said I expect one and don’t expect to get one as Gus has never had one on offense and only one his entire time here in Muschamp.  But besides that of course I want the best hired at Auburn, doesn’t everyone that is a fan want that?

I do want the best hired at Auburn, but I don't know that a 'wow hire' is necessarily the best, particularly at a position like o-line.  Despite being what many considered a 'wow hire', I don't think the Herb Hand did a good job while he was here, but I doubt that all the blame lies with him (nor does all the blame lie with JB Grimes).   Kevin Steele was the opposite of a 'wow hire' as DC and, by and large, the defense has been good under him. 

Like you, I do hope we hire the best OL coach we can get, but (even if he's allowed to do his job as he sees fit) I'm not confident that that is going to cure all that ails us on offense. 

I have to say I'm a genius (JK). I said the reason Gus kept running up the middle in the bowl game was because he needed an excuse to let Grimes go. Gus was to close to him to just fire him so he needed to make him look bad by running up the middle knowing the O'line couldn't open a whole. Mostly kidding but not completely.

back up a truckload of money and hire Marc Colombo or similar.  We saved money when we hired C Morris b/c Arky is still paying some.  Money talks.

Let him report to Chad Morris.   

Maybe Gus will learn a  little from how Saban, Orgeron, and Sweeney are working with their staffs.    Gus can call plays and draw cute pictures, just let his coaches select and coach. 

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kodi had a rough start but he has been very good on the trail since the mobile fiasco. He is really coming in to his own with crutin. I don't get the complaints with his recruiting ability. His position is also the toughest to recruit to besides LP and he has done a admirable job I think.

Can you enlighten me on the Mobile fiasco? I don't follow recruiting closely and living in the heart of Big10+2 land, AU news is scarce.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I think both ole miss and arky got wow hires.

Sometimes a 'wow' hire is just because somebody heard somebody else say so.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

While I absolutely want a wow hire at this position, I have a 5% chance that it will happen.  He has had 1 WOW hire in my opinion and that is Muschamp. 

We have had one NFL caliber lineman recruited and that was Braden Smith.  We have not recruited another lineman fitting his profile.  We have not recruited guys that have had his dedication and commitment to his craft.  The jury is still out on some of these young guys.

Chad Slade, but that almost makes it more depressing that I could only come up with one other off the top of my head, lol. 

It does seem like some of the current crop might have some chutzpah. But I've been wrong about that before.  

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Chad Slade, but that almost makes it more depressing that I could only come up with one other off the top of my head, lol. 

It does seem like some of the current crop might have some chutzpah. But I've been wrong about that before.  

Greg Robinson, Shon Coleman both we’re decent draft picks.  Greg was starting earlier this year.  Chad May have been a Chizik guy 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Well of course Chad Morris is going to want his guy since he is the OC. Under normal circumstances that would make sense, but since Gus refuses to even allow for input, I don't see how this would work.

It does not matter who we hire as OL Coach.  If Gus does not change his philosophy and scheme, we’re stuck in the same downward spiral. 

14 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Sometimes a 'wow' hire is just because somebody heard somebody else say so.

😁  Yep....on this site a "wow" hire is pretty much any ordinary coach that is hired by some other school....

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was gonna include Slade, but he was recruited under Chizik.

Archived