looking for new OL coach

GwillMac6

Just now, AUTigerTime said:

If he doesn't have the money for quality coaches, then he really is a dead man walking and we're just delaying the inevitable at our own detriment. Either your foot needs to be on the gas or on the brake, but to let it coast for an entire extra year is just a slow painful death.

I don't disagree but we've been coasting for the last 6 years so I'm not sure if I see the PTB caring about another one.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My for what it’s worth opinion. JB Grimes is a well respected OL coach. He is probably one of the better OL technique coaches out there. If you bothered to ever watch some of the practice video you would see that. JB was not a great recruiter, not because of his lack of knowing OL talent but because he is not a big conversationalist like other coaches. That said he did well at AU. Most forget about his earlier success  like in 2013 and 2014 when AU lead the country In rushing yardage. If you bother to remember JB suffered some serious health problems a few years ago. It was JB’s choice to leave to go follow his son and it was JB’S decision to leave now. You can be assured he was never asked to leave either time. In fact when Herb left the first number Gus called was JB’s and he accepted because of his relationship with Gus and his love for Auburn. Life as a D1P5 coach is a lot more hectic than most on here seem to realize. 18 hour days, 6 days a week sometime 7. It is a major grind especially for someone his age and who has suffered illnesses he has. Complain if you wish about the lack of productivity you feel wasn’t accomplished this year at the OL position. But rest assured Auburn was very lucky to have had JB Grimes as coach . I can guarantee you every young man that played for him is eternally grateful for his guidance and his friendship. I wish the best for JB in all his future endeavors.

In your opinion, who's the front runner to be named Auburn's new OL coach and how long will Gus be before he let's everyone know? Signing day part 2 is just 27 days away. WDE

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In your opinion, who is the front runner to be named Auburn's new OL coach and will Gus let everyone know? Signing day part 2 is just 27 days away.

ConcreteRealGerenuk-max-1mb.gif

I think Klemm is the better coach out there as well as Pugh & Searels.  Any of these 3 candidates will work for me.  Waiting on Big Birds choice. I may have missed it. I think the Bird has a good take on the OL position.....just waiting for his selection. It is good to be back from the near dead. I almost died from a bad reaction to one of the meds I was prescribed. Thank God I got this out of my system and am doing much better and now can be aggravated with Gus all over again!

WDE!!

Doc

10 hours ago, subterranean_jack said:

Was it Grimes decision to leave and Malzahn wasn't planning on making a change?

His decision according to folks around Auburn. His contract was up so who knows how that played into it? JB is great guy and I always considered him a good coach. Base the good coach having heard some of now ex players speak of him. Think it is Arkansas were he has a farm. He may just be ready to hang out there. 

5 hours ago, provibe said:

Who’s to say that a good NFL coach will be a good recruiter. And I am not just trying to disagree with you!

Just an assumption, but thinking a recent NFL coach can make up for our thin track to the NFL with OL players.  Thinking it will or could be instant credibility with the likes of 5* talent.

My vote is Harry Hiestand. Proven track record of putting guys in the NFL and wasn't exactly a failure in Chicago.

I won't be upset if we get Pugh. His short coaching history has seen improvement for the lines he's coached. Just because it's a "Gus-move" doesn't discredit it as a bad move.

Kendall Simmons is an unknown but Superbowl rings can't hurt.

I know nothing about Frye. Seems that would be the most "settling for a connected coach" out of the bunch. Of it's difficult to judge any coach from Arkansas' previous offensive staff considering how wildly different the Bielima and Morris Systems are and the personnel running them.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Ryan  Pugh could be the guy . Don’t know what his status is right now though . He is at Troy. 

The Troy review said their OL was great at pass pro, but stunk it up in run blocking.

Sounds right up Gus' alley.  Should fit right in.

No meaning to denigrate Pugh.  Just still Gustrated from the season.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, bigbird said:

Herb turned him down so he's reaching back out to JB...

This post has started my weekend with a big smile. 

Seeing some rumors on other free boards that Kapilovic, from Colorado, could be a front runner.  Don't know if that's already been dissected over here.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Seeing some rumors on other free boards that Kapilovic, from Colorado, could be a front runner.  Don't know if that's already been dissected over here.

Anyone know anything about him? 

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

My vote is Harry Hiestand. Proven track record of putting guys in the NFL and wasn't exactly a failure in Chicago.

If I were hiring he would probably be my choice based on great mix of college and NFL background. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Anyone know anything about him? 

Here’s a tweet video of him explaining his disappointments after a loss w/ UNC In 2018:

Evidently Marcus Johnson ex-OL coach at Miss St was supposedly interviewed, but he's off the board now...as he took the OL coach job at Mizz.

I do like Kapilovic's resume. but media and fans are going to butcher that name. :)

Archived