Oline Coach Possibles with Backgrounds

toddc

13 hours ago, Beaker said:

With Ole Miss and Miss State just upgrading coaches, Gus needs to make this a homerun hire.

Other than Muschamp, Gus is incapable of making homerun hires. 

All Gus makes is sacrifice pop-ups. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Viper said:

unfortunately, you are so right.

Maybe, he will get some input from Chad Morris on this and other strategic matters.  

Imagine how our offense could transform in one offseason if he could upgrade those two position coaches!   Or the same 'ol, same 'ol  8-4, 9-4  stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Beaker said:

unfortunately, you are so right.

Maybe, he will get some input from Chad Morris on this and other strategic matters.  

Imagine how our offense could transform in one offseason if he could upgrade those two position coaches!   Or the same 'ol, same 'ol  8-4, 9-4  stuff. 

I Agree that the OL coach for recruiting and teaching would go a long way towards improving our offense but I see no hope for the WR. 

2 reasons:

1. Gus won't get rid of the guy he coached as a player then eventually hired as a coach(Burns).

2. If Gus doesn't let Morris develop new passing schemes and call the plays, it won't matter what 5* WRs we bring in, bc Gus will call most of his plays outside of the middle of the field(and only withing 5-10 yards of the LOS) and only deep throws, all w/ lower percentage completion rates. 

When was the last time we had a 1,000 yard WR? These other SEC schools are constantly putting up these numbers w/ better offenses and passers.

Heck, now we can't even get a 1,000 yard rusher, even though I think Gus set some kind of record for consecutive 1,000 yard rushers in the SEC at one time.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree that the OL coach for recruiting and teaching would go a long way towards improving our offense but I see no hope for the WR. 

2 reasons:

1. Gus won't get rid of the guy he coached as a player then eventually hired as a coach(Burns).

2. If Gus doesn't let Morris develop new passing schemes and call the plays, it won't matter what 5* WRs we bring in, bc Gus will call most of his plays outside of the middle of the field(and only withing 5-10 yards of the LOS) and only deep throws, all w/ lower percentage completion rates. 

When was the last time we had a 1,000 yard WR? These other SEC schools are constantly putting up these numbers w/ better offenses and passers.

Heck, now we can't even get a 1,000 yard rusher, even though I think Gus set some kind of record for consecutive 1,000 yard rushers in the SEC at one time.

For the life of me, not sure how we were competitive in each or our losses....well, the D kept us in the game for the most part.  

On 1/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, AUsince72 said:

Who was Gus' O-line coach at Springdale High?

I heard we are in talks with him. And it’s looking good. He’s got a few demands.   For example he is tired of coaching P.E.  But it is looking good.  

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

For the life of me, not sure how we were competitive in each or our losses....well, the D kept us in the game for the most part.  

That's easy, winning game plans botched understandably by a talented true frosh QB. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, aucanucktiger said:

That's easy, winning game plans botched understandably by a talented true frosh QB. 

I am pretty sure you are saying that tongue in cheek.   I had heard some crazy stat coming into the season that Gus had only one loss in games with a true frosh QB.   Regardless, the gameplan has to account for what Bo is good at and not good at, as well as the OL of course.  

I know redundant points. 

Speaking of OL, what is the latest?  Are we hiring Klem or that Shiloh Christian Academy OL coach?  

On 1/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, Viper said:

Kevin steele, Rodney Garner , Travis Williams . Those guys seem like home runs to me 

55 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Kevin steele, Rodney Garner , Travis Williams . Those guys seem like home runs to me 

None of these hires, including and especially Muschamp, were orchestrated by Gus.

Consider the case of Garner: Malzahn had been hired with just one year of HC experience at Arkansas State. His network of coaching contacts was nonexistent because he didn't even come up like a normal coach does. You think that an introvert like Malzahn convinced Garner to up and leave Georgia, or do you think that the PTB at Auburn made the phone call and convinced Garner to "come home"? It should be obvious what actually happened. Demeyune Craig is another example of a hire that was HANDED to Malzahn - its also why they never got along. Malzahn actually wanted to bring Casey Woods to coach WR's, but the PTB knew that they couldn't let him just bring his Arkansas State staff and expect it to compete in the SEC from a recruiting standpoint. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I am pretty sure you are saying that tongue in cheek.   I had heard some crazy stat coming into the season that Gus had only one loss in games with a true frosh QB.   Regardless, the gameplan has to account for what Bo is good at and not good at, as well as the OL of course.  

I know redundant points. 

Speaking of OL, what is the latest?  Are we hiring Klem or that Shiloh Christian Academy OL coach?  

This assumption that there was a game plan is interesting!

I’m starting to wonder if Gus has landed someone off the LSU coaching staff or the Clemson coaching staff, or maybe it is someone from an NFL team. Usually, we’d hear of another hire by now. It seems like they are waiting for something. 

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

None of these hires, including and especially Muschamp, were orchestrated by Gus.

Consider the case of Garner: Malzahn had been hired with just one year of HC experience at Arkansas State. His network of coaching contacts was nonexistent because he didn't even come up like a normal coach does. You think that an introvert like Malzahn convinced Garner to up and leave Georgia, or do you think that the PTB at Auburn made the phone call and convinced Garner to "come home"? It should be obvious what actually happened. Demeyune Craig is another example of a hire that was HANDED to Malzahn - its also why they never got along. Malzahn actually wanted to bring Casey Woods to coach WR's, but the PTB knew that they couldn't let him just bring his Arkansas State staff and expect it to compete in the SEC from a recruiting standpoint. 

Sure , no question . However on the surface Gus will always be credited with these hires 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

I’m starting to wonder if Gus has landed someone off the LSU coaching staff or the Clemson coaching staff, or maybe it is someone from an NFL team. Usually, we’d hear of another hire by now. It seems like they are waiting for something. 

LOL.

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

You can say that again, and you did.

11 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

You really think Gus can attract talent like that?    Honestly?  

My honest thought:  he and Chad Morris are trying to agree and hire someone.  Between a recently fired HC and Gus' own reputation, he is struggling to hire a good OL coach.  That's my take.

Kodi already is occupying the "Co-OC" position.  Hard to get a lateral move here.  

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

You really think Gus can attract talent like that?    Honestly?  

My honest thought:  he and Chad Morris are trying to agree and hire someone.  Between a recently fired HC and Gus' own reputation, he is struggling to hire a good OL coach.  That's my take.

Kodi already is occupying the "Co-OC" position.  Hard to get a lateral move here.  

U can call him a running game coordinator if that is an issue.  

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Gus hasn't hired a single defensive coach since he's been at AU.  Change my mind.

Breaking News:

Wade Christopher hired as new OL coach.

Bio:  Christopher built the hospital he was born in, located in Jupiter, Florida. Known for his incredible time management, he doesn’t wear a watch, instead choosing what time it is. Christopher has never flushed a toilet, instead he scares the crap out of it. When crossing the street, cars look both ways. Christopher has received legendary status as an Auburn player, holding every major record, and now he joins the coaching ranks. Christopher has commented saying, “I plan on taking our rag-tag group of OLinemen and building them up into a lethal crime-fighting team, like the Power Rangers or A-Team.” Coach Gus Malzahn added, “We’re really excited about Wade joining us. He’s got talent, no doubt. He’s promised me that we are gonna have good weeks of practice now. We are gonna go up (motions with right hand as if climbing a roller coaster) from here.”

32 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Breaking News:

Wade Christopher hired as new OL coach.

Bio:  Christopher built the hospital he was born in, located in Jupiter, Florida. Known for his incredible time management, he doesn’t wear a watch, instead choosing what time it is. Christopher has never flushed a toilet, instead he scares the crap out of it. When crossing the street, cars look both ways. Christopher has received legendary status as an Auburn player, holding every major record, and now he joins the coaching ranks. Christopher has commented saying, “I plan on taking our rag-tag group of OLinemen and building them up into a lethal crime-fighting team, like the Power Rangers or A-Team.” Coach Gus Malzahn added, “We’re really excited about Wade joining us. He’s got talent, no doubt. He’s promised me that we are gonna have good weeks of practice now. We are gonna go up (motions with right hand as if climbing a roller coaster) from here.”

This is wonderful news that most of us can get behind. All except @fredst as he believes Bill Taylor is much better than Wade Cristopher.  I’d like to see Bill’s bio for comparison.  Well, fredst, were waiting.

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

I know redundant points. 

Kapilovich(Colo) was on our radar turned us down to stay supposedly. Don't know about Klem.

Hearing that Dustin Fry(coached for Morris at many stops) is the odds on favorite now. Seems like we didn't get our top choices possibly?

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Kapilovich(Colo) was on our radar turned us down to stay supposedly. Don't know about Klem.

Hearing that Dustin Fry(coached for Morris at many stops) is the odds on favorite now. Seems like we didn't get our top choices possibly?

Gus got turned down by a guy who decided to stay at Colorado?  Wow.

3 hours ago, metafour said:

Excellent and all valid points. But why hire a coach who you don’t trust or allow to hire, recruit, etc. If the hiring bodies did not trust him 100% they should have left him in Arkansas. Maybe I misunderstand what is said on here. On one hand people say Gus has full autonomy and control, while others say he does not. First he was told to hire Muschamp,then Steele, now he was told to or highly suggested to hire Garner, maybe the offense is his and the defense is all Auburn’s to tell him what to do with?

Gus needs to get this hire done and hopefully with a quality OL coach.  I hope by Tuesday, this will be done. This position is a very important one and one that needs to have a quality coach in it.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Gus hasn't hired a single defensive coach since he's been at AU.  Change my mind.

Then why even have him if you don’t trust his judgment? Not only that but then turn around and give him 40 plus million just to tell him who to hire on defense, but forget that football is played on both sides and not have their superior input on offense. If you gonna meddle go all in or don’t meddle at all. Or is that they are concerned he may not allow meddling in his areas of expertise like offense...and then you know resign or something....IMO this is JABA....

Archived