2020 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I could see Costello ending up somewhere at like UGA....solid OL and weapons around...chance to play for a playoff caliber team. I hope not.

UGA's OL next year will at a minimum have 4 new faces, maybe five.  Three declared early, one is in the transfer portal, and the other is having academic issues. 

21 hours ago, abw0004 said:

UGA's OL next year will at a minimum have 4 new faces, maybe five.  Three declared early, one is in the transfer portal, and the other is having academic issues. 

I hate this for them. ;D

On 1/8/2020 at 2:47 PM, abw0004 said:

I am seeing this now. They have lost a ton to NFL and Transfers and still have a better cupboard than we do....that is crazy but makes me happy....let the hedges burn.

Maybe I have missed it in other posts but have we targeted any QB grad transfers? 

12 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Maybe I have missed it in other posts but have we targeted any QB grad transfers? 

Not that have been reported. With only 3-4 spots left & guys like Frazier, Bro-Jones, Burks, & McKinnley Jackson being takes plus appearing the Troy P will transfer in, not sure we will.

4* 6'5" 205 lbs. LSU receiver is an immediate transfer option (though not a position we'd likely take)

4* OT from Texas A&M / Diesch but it says he's 100% ASU; he's an immediate transfer 

4* OT from Stanford / Devery Hamilton is an immediate transfer

4* OT from USC / Clayton Bradley is an immediate transfer

Some 4* OG's as well

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

but it says he's 100% ASU

Not what it says. It means a reporter or reporters have picked him to chooser there.

I’m just stunned to see how many total players there are in the transfer portal.  I had no idea.  I was thinking maybe 30 or 40 when in reality it’s 411!  That’s crazy!  The NCAA has created a monster here!  

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

I’m just stunned to see how many total players there are in the transfer portal.  I had no idea.  I was thinking maybe 30 or 40 when in reality it’s 411!  That’s crazy!  The NCAA has created a monster here!  

The kids deserve it

9 hours ago, weagl1 said:

That's less than 4 per team. Less than 1 per signing class. And almost none of them are kids who were ever going to make a difference at their current program. That's why they're in the portal. Furthermore, it helps coaches who want to make room on their roster.

What is the downside in your opinion?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's less than 4 per team. Less than 1 per signing class. And almost none of them are kids who were ever going to make a difference at their current program. That's why they're in the portal. Furthermore, it helps coaches who want to make room on their roster.

What is the downside in your opinion?

Probably no downside overall, the only losers from the process are the individuals who have worked to get a starting job on their team only to have some "outsider" come in and take the spot..... but they have the chance to do the same by moving along....as we have seen a number of times or just beating the guy out.  I'd still be happy to see us get the Newman kid from Wake but hear he might end up at UGA …they need a QB and he's pretty good. . 

The ability of a coach to bring immediate help to some weakness on his team has to make many fans happy and yet there have been very few key players leaving their teams in a lurch by transferring.  I like the grad transfer part of the rule. 

I dont know how you'd measure it but I would be intereated to see if the kids that transfer actually do better at new schools. I know there are obvious success stories but I am curious if thats the norm or the exceptions.  My gut says exception.

6 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

My gut says exception.

Agree....if you look at the history of most AU transfers, they go to lower level programs and probably most transfers through the portal end as back-ups somewhere else...and often sitting out a year.....but maybe happier?

Grad Trans might have a pretty good outcome because they can play immediately and therefore are more valuable to the recipient school who can fill a vacancy right away without the guy sitting out a year.  

5 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I dont know how you'd measure it but I would be intereated to see if the kids that transfer actually do better at new schools. I know there are obvious success stories but I am curious if thats the norm or the exceptions.  My gut says exception.

Joe Burrow is the best of these. I am sure there are others though as well. What scares me is Gatewood who wound up at UK could be a big get for them as well. Time will tell the story for him. I wish him the best and hope he shows Gus what could have been!

WDE!

Doc

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Joe Burrow is the best of these. I am sure there are others though as well. What scares me is Gatewood who wound up at UK could be a big get for them as well. Time will tell the story for him. I wish him the best and hope he shows Gus what could have been!

WDE!

Doc

Not sure how that works...Burrow could have "showed" OSU by staying there and Fields could have "showed UGA" by staying there and the list goes on. 

JMO but it's a matter of timing and Joey was at AU at the wrong time.  I expect he showed Gus and Dilly all he had while he was at AU...and what ever turns out at UK probably does  not mean anything if he had stayed at AU as the back-up. :dunno:  I'm happy if he does well but not envious of UK. 

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure how that works...Burrow could have "showed" OSU by staying there and Fields could have "showed UGA" by staying there and the list goes on. 

JMO but it's a matter of timing and Joey was at AU at the wrong time.  I expect he showed Gus and Dilly all he had while he was at AU...and what ever turns out at UK probably does  not mean anything if he had stayed at AU as the back-up. :dunno:  I'm happy if he does well but not envious of UK. 

That's normally a reasonable stance. But it was different with Joey. Gus said he would play. He was neck-and-neck with Bo. And then he did not get used in big spots where Bo clearly was not getting it done. Gus even changed his mind in between individual plays and yanked Joey's jersey to keep him from getting on the field. In a game where Bo was failing repeatedly and miserably. Gus mishandled Joey and showed extremely poor judgment. And it's hardly the first or even second time that Gus has misevaluated a quarterback. Never mind that Joey committed early, recruited his ass off for us, and stuck with Gus through three offensive coordinators- another position that Gus just can't get right- and seemingly some broken promises.

The assumption that Joey was correctly evaluated and given a fair shake is very naive. Especially for anyone who has been paying attention to Auburn football for the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's normally a reasonable stance. But it was different with Joey. Gus said he would play. He was neck-and-neck with Bo. And then he did not get used in big spots where Bo clearly was not getting it done. Gus even changed his mind in between individual plays and yanked Joey's jersey to keep him from getting on the field. In a game where Bo was failing repeatedly and miserably. Gus mishandled Joey and showed extremely poor judgment. And it's hardly the first or even second time that Gus has misevaluated a quarterback. Never mind that Joey committed early, recruited his ass off for us, and stuck with Gus through three offensive coordinators- another position that Gus just can't get right- and seemingly some broken promises.

The assumption that Joey was correctly evaluated and given a fair shake is very naive. Especially for anyone who has been paying attention to Auburn football for the last 10 years.

Yet another example of Malzahn's tunnel vision. Or moronic vision.

Gatewood would still be at Auburn if given some snaps at meaningful points in our games. And what would it have hurt. A three play series and punt is the same whether led by Nix or by Gatewood. Lord knows Nix/Malzahn engineered enough of them this past season.

Hell, the only long, multi play scoring drive by uf against Auburn was led by a Freshman qb. In the SECOND quarter.

10 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Gatewood would still be at Auburn if given some snaps at meaningful points in our games.

So you advocate tricking a guy into staying by giving him a few plays every now and then....using up his eligibility for no purpose.....just to keep him around ?  :slapfh:

JMO but coaches did him a favor by making it clear that BN was the #1 QB and was going to be the #1 QB for the season.    I would have liked to see JG play, was even hoping he would be the starter before the decision was made...but once decided,  JG had to do what he thought was best for himself...which he did. 

Funny attitude among fans....the back-up is always the best QB if only given the chance,   and the guy who transfers was  certainly better than the players who stay with the team. :dunno:

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So you advocate tricking a guy into staying by giving him a few plays every now and then....using up his eligibility for no purpose.....just to keep him around ?  :slapfh:

JMO but coaches did him a favor by making it clear that BN was the #1 QB and was going to be the #1 QB for the season.    I would have liked to see JG play, was even hoping he would be the starter before the decision was made...but once decided,  JG had to do what he thought was best for himself...which he did. 

Funny attitude among fans....the back-up is always the best QB if only given the chance,   and the guy who transfers was  certainly better than the players who stay with the team. :dunno:

Really, 64? How in the world do you get I am advocating tricking Gatewood into staying at Auburn by giving him meaningful snaps from that post? Sheesh

IMO, the coaches did the Auburn team (and bottom line, isn't this about putting the Auburn football team into the best position to win?) no favors by not putting Gatewood into a game where Nix was struggling.

We don't know if the back up is the best qb if he is not given a chance to prove it. Particularly when the starter is playing poorly as Nix was wont to do in certain games. Wally Pipp was a pretty good first baseman. Gehrig was just better. I suppose you would have stayed with Pipp.

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

We don't know if the back up is the best qb if he is not given a chance to prove it

That's what coaches find out....not fans watching a game?   And playing a young QB for a couple series to see what he does?  Might be nice to do but you can ruin a career if they guy has some problems....or get the wrong idea about capabilities as we saw a few times with JJ and others.   

Playing a few meaningful plays tells us nothing.   I was happy to see JG running some wildcat where the results were important but beyond that?     Sorry......but I just don't see the idea of holding auditions on Saturday for the QB job.  JMO.....we don't have to agree... 

Well I didn't mean to get us off on a CGM bashing thread again, I was just simply saying that there are a few kids out there who transfer and obviously make the most of it.  I wonder if that is the case for the majority or are those kids in the minority.  Yes 3 of the 4 QBS in the playoffs were transfers.  Again, the question is are they in the majority or minority.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Yet another example of Malzahn's tunnel vision. Or moronic vision.

Gatewood would still be at Auburn if given some snaps at meaningful points in our games. And what would it have hurt. A three play series and punt is the same whether led by Nix or by Gatewood. Lord knows Nix/Malzahn engineered enough of them this past season.

Hell, the only long, multi play scoring drive by uf against Auburn was led by a Freshman qb. In the SECOND quarter.

That's my thing. It's not like our offense was consistently working with Bo. In fact, it was a straight up train wreck several times and his poor performances heavily fed into that. As you point out, it is insanity that Joey (and several other guys) didn't get more reps in the UF game. 

It wouldn't have been an "audition" to put Joey in. That's just hyperbole from somebody who will literally say anything to avoid criticizing Gus. It would have been stopping something that wasn't working and trying something that might have worked. But this is Gus we're talking about, and that has been a recurring theme with him ever since halftime of the 2013 LSU game. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's what coaches find out....not fans watching a game?   And playing a young QB for a couple series to see what he does?  Might be nice to do but you can ruin a career if they guy has some problems....or get the wrong idea about capabilities as we saw a few times with JJ and others.   

Playing a few meaningful plays tells us nothing.   I was happy to see JG running some wildcat where the results were important but beyond that?     Sorry......but I just don't see the idea of holding auditions on Saturday for the QB job.  JMO.....we don't have to agree... 

I'll weigh possibly winning a game by putting him in against possibly ruining his career. And choose to play him for the chance of winning the game. Because there are over 100 players and coaches (and paying customers) who will benefit from the win (that pesky team thing again). As opposed to possibly ruing a career.

Playing a few meaningful plays can tell us everything. Especially should Gatewood have success moving the ball.

Yep. But I don't like the inference you make of my advocating Auburn trick Gatewood, or any player, into staying.

Archived