2020 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Well I didn't mean to get us off on a CGM bashing thread again, I was just simply saying that there are a few kids out there who transfer and obviously make the most of it.  I wonder if that is the case for the majority or are those kids in the minority.  Yes 3 of the 4 QBS in the playoffs were transfers.  Again, the question is are they in the majority or minority.

Minority. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the rate for QBs is slightly higher because QB is probably the least rotated position and also has the least versatility. Nobody can move from QB to another position and back like Austin Golson did all up and down the OL, or like seemingly all of our DLs do. So a QB usually either plays or he doesn't. 

And while this playoff group is transfer-heavy, it makes sense. Orgeron hasn't been at LSU that long and Miles got himself fired strictly because he no longer knew how to manage QBs. Plus they'll be starting a kid they recruited out of high school next year, I think. Ohio State basically got another freshman phenom in Fields. And Oklahoma, bizarrely, just seems to specialize in transfers. Will be interesting to see what the field looks like next year, though. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Might be nice to do but you can ruin a career if they guy has some problems

Is that what you were saying when Bo was completely crapping the bed as a true freshman behind a terrible offensive line in an extremely hostile environment in Gainesville? Were you expressing concern about Gus ruining his career? 

11 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Really, 64? How in the world do you get I am advocating tricking Gatewood into staying at Auburn by giving him meaningful snaps from that post? Sheesh

IMO, the coaches did the Auburn team (and bottom line, isn't this about putting the Auburn football team into the best position to win?) no favors by not putting Gatewood into a game where Nix was struggling.

We don't know if the back up is the best qb if he is not given a chance to prove it. Particularly when the starter is playing poorly as Nix was wont to do in certain games. Wally Pipp was a pretty good first baseman. Gehrig was just better. I suppose you would have stayed with Pipp.

Players earn the right to play in practice. Players chance to prove themselves comes in practice. Nobody is entitled to 'prove themselves" in a game when they have not proven themselves best in practice. For a coach to do otherwise is a sign of desperation.

Even though he sucked  in the tryouts/auditions, Joe Blow would have been a great movie star, hit singer, jam-up brain surgeon, or QB if he had only gotten a chance to show what he could do in an actual movie, a performance at the grammys, real brain surgery, or playing against LSU. He would have been great, just never was given a chance

Players don't stink in practice and then magically get better in games  (though some are great in practice and stink in games).

I can still hear the fans shouting "KODI!  KODI! KODI" when they were not happy with the starter. Kyle Frazier would have been great, he just was never given a chance to play enough in real games.

You want to play against LSU, be the best QB when you play vs the AU scout team on Tue.

12 hours ago, rockfordpi said:

Players earn the right to play in practice. Players chance to prove themselves comes in practice. Nobody is entitled to 'prove themselves" in a game when they have not proven themselves best in practice.

'Cause Gus goes live in practice right? I mean, to make sure he can properly evaluate a players game environment skills right? Right? FDA

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Target Acquired

Not sure about that. We may not take a pass rusher with the remaining spots. If we do Butler may be more likely with 3 years left to play instead of this guy for 1.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. We may not take a pass rusher with the remaining spots. If we do Butler may be more likely with 3 years left to play instead of this guy for 1.

I understand. Word is the coaches have reached out tho so I thought it newsworthy.

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I understand. Word is the coaches have reached out tho so I thought it newsworthy.

Yeah. I hadn’t checked the bunker since yesterday afternoon and now see Jhead’s post on him. Sounds like we’ve reached out but may have stiff competition should he have interest in us.

3rd QB to transfer out since Lawrence committed. Could see him transferring to South Florida and joining up with Jeff Scott.

7 hours ago, Paladin said:

3rd QB to transfer out since Lawrence committed. Could see him transferring to South Florida and joining up with Jeff Scott.

He had planned on going to uga until Jamie Newman beat him to it.

Gus was gonna play Bo even if Joey had been a 5 star QB who broke all kinds of passing records in high school. Joey got screwed by the 7 million dollar high school guru.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus was gonna play Bo even if Joey had been a 5 star QB who broke all kinds of passing records in high school. Joey got screwed by the 7 million dollar high school guru.

Not the thread or forum for this discussion. Should be in the football forum instead.

7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm wondering if we'll catch lighting in a bottle by getting a top player who'll come to Auburn through the Transfer Portal.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761187e797be4391c2457a

I don't know if he will or not, but Gus needs to sign another QB even if he comes from the juco ranks. We seem to do very well with QB's who transfers to Auburn from a top junior college program.

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

We need an Olineman or two who can play next year.  That's my whole wish list on transfers.

Hopefully Coffey is that dude and Z has a miracle recovery. And if we get Bro Jones, he might be a day 1 starter. So a transfer (from high school) with 5 to play 4!

26 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

That's my whole wish list on transfers.

We already missed on the guy the staff wanted badly, Devin Cochran from Vandy. He chose GT.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

We already missed on the guy the staff wanted badly, Devin Cochran from Vandy. He chose GT.

Academic rep have anything to do with that? What was Cochran's major at Vandy?

It was a bit back on this thread, but I'd like to point out, there is downside for the kids in the transfer portal. The downside shows up two places:  (1) with some kids attempting the transfer and (2) with fringe signees from high school.

So the first downside has to do with the way most coaches choose to manage their roster based on the realities of timing. If a kid puts his name in the transfer portal, most (but not all) coaches/programs will let him know his scholarship is being non-renewed the next semester. So if a kid wants to transfer before bowl season, he's going to lose his scholarship in January (from the transferor institution). If he waits to put his name in, he risks missing the start of class at the (potential) transferee school, which would prevent him from participating in spring ball.

Now, the downside risk comes in the fact that the schools cannot contact the kid until his name is in the portal. That means, the kid may or may not know if there is a spot available at his preferred school (or may not know where he wants to go at all). He enters a bit blind. Obviously, that's not a concern for Jalen Hurts, but it is for most kids. Some kids have already seen that they do not have opportunities (or available scholarships depending on how close a school is to the 85 limit) at the transferee school of their choice, BUT their current school has already non-renewed their scholarship. So they have to go down to Juco or take a D2 offer or something they never would have done if they had the option of going back to their current school. That's already happened to a few guys. That's a downside risk for the transfer player.

The second downside comes in the impact of multi-year transfers. If a kid has more than one year of eligibility, he counts against both the 85-man limit and the 25-signee limit for a given year. That's most guys in the portal. Because coaches are almost always short-sighted, they are looking for guys that can help right now. We've already seen coaches roll the dice on a fringe transfer instead of making the same reach for a HS kid, and the reason is, the transfer is almost always more likely to help the team sooner. They're in better shape. They already know how to exist in a college program. Etc. Because these transfer kids count against the 25, they reduce the size of the signing class. They took a spot at the transferor school in their original class; then, the same guy takes a second spot in the transferee school's class. That practice effectively reduces the number of HS signees overall.

So a guy that might've gotten a shot with Auburn ends up being a South Alabama signee because Auburn wanted Transfer X instead. And the kid at USA that would've been a fringe guy for them is left to go Juco or D2 or give up the game because USA is now signing the fringe Auburn guy. It just contracts the pool. Coaches have noticed this and flagged it as a MAJOR downside. There are proposed rule changes to give any team with a player transferring out an extra signing spot to replace that guy with a transfer in, but that has problem too (it encourages "processing" for one obvious one). Only time will tell how the schools deal with the contracting signing classes, but that's a real downside.

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Academic rep have anything to do with that? What was Cochran's major at Vandy?

No clue.

With the Burk announcement today it appears we will only have 3 open slots if the Troy Punter said he wanted to come here and we were down to one slot left do you know if it was between Princely and the punter which we would take? Personally I would take Princely as I think we could find an adequate punter as a walk on.

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the Burk announcement today

@AuburnNTexas What Burk announcement?

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

it appears we will only have 3 open slots if the Troy Punter said he wanted to come here and we were down to one slot left do you know if it was between Princely and the punter which we would take?

This whole sentence is confusing. We do have 3 spots left. We could easily miss on 1 if not both Bro Jones & Frazier leaving room for both Princely & the Troy Punter should he transfer to AU. If we land Burks, Bro Jones, & Frazier then there won't be room for either one.

29 minutes ago, autan said:

I was under the impression that if we miss on BJones we hold one schollie for a GT OL?

We just missed a major target in Cochran as stated earlier on this page.

Archived