2020 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

They are paid a scholarship for their efforts. Exactly. They earn the scholarship. That is where the obligation on both sides ends.

It is not apples and oranges. Coaches and schools break their promises to the players all the time. Hell, sometimes promises to a committed recruit are broken before they can even get to campus. It is patently hypocritical to hold the players to a higher standard. 

By the way, your indeed.com analogy... Did you not watch Tim Horton dip his toe in the water season after season, only to not get the attention he wanted and keep coming back? Do you think that was what our running back room deserved from their position coach (who, in this case, was far more than just a running backs coach within the overall offensive staff hierarchy)? Why should the players owe Auburn more allegiance than an actual paid employee? 

This makes no sense.

Good points.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Should it be changed.....? ABSOLUTELY.

Wait. Your whole argument seems to be that it is being changed and you don't like it.

EDIT: Ugh, and now you've been very cordial with the previous exchange, and I look like a jerk. THANKS AND HAPPY FRIDAY PRO

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait. Your whole argument seems to be that it is being changed and you don't like it.

EDIT: Ugh, and now you've been very cordial with the previous exchange, and I look like a jerk. THANKS AND HAPPY FRIDAY PRO

Ultimately...as long as we have the "student-athlete "amateurism" model like we do...things are not going to be slanted towards the players. The age old argument is Coaches are doing a job, the athletes are students...and I get the point whether I agree or not doesn't matter. 

I see both sides of the coin, honestly.

I always try to be cordial. I am always trying to learn. I am not against difference of opinions and I have had my mind changed many times by civil discourse. 

Happy Friday to you !!!!

College sports are an extracurricular.  No one is forced to sign a scholly.  The portal gives kids an oppo to change mid stream.  That’s a good thing.  But! Their decision to change also has potential consequences.  They are adults making adult decisions.

ultimately the best thing for the kids is to do what it is theoretically about - getting an education while also playing sports. Stop thinking about the pros.

a great deal of these kids would be better off going to a non-p5 school to start with.

schools and athletes would be better off if the decisions made on the front end were better made.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:07 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

I always try to be cordial. I am always trying to learn. I am not against difference of opinions and I have had my mind changed many times by civil discourse. 

I'm sorry, sir. This is the internet. I think you're lost.

😄

16 hours ago, looney said:

I'm sorry, sir. This is the internet. I think you're lost.

😄

Why no Daniel-son....you are mistaken,,,,,for it is here......on the interwebs.....where one finds his inner warrior, as well as his inner peace.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/NC-State-football-transfer-portal-Joshua-Fedd-Jackson--143802371/

"Fedd-Jackson led the conference in run-blocking grade at the position as he ranked in the top 10 nationally in the run game. He was no slouch in pass protection either, allowing just 15 pressures on a whopping 529 snaps in pass protection. He mauled up the middle and paved the way for some wide-open lanes while allowing just a combined three sacks and hits in the passing game."

44 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Fedd-Jackson

He's a Guard. We're looking for an OT. Guards don't automatically translate to good OTs.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's a Guard. We're looking for an OT. Guards don't automatically translate to good OTs.

They do in someone's world

He's a very good offensive lineman. Do we have a guard who grades in the top 10 in the country as a run blocker? And who is a very good pass-blocker?  I'd like to see us get him. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I can vouch for that.

I know that it may seem that O-Line positions are all the same to many people but they have very different responsibilities & the techniques are worlds apart.

I was (VERY LIGHTLY) recruited by a couple very small schools as a Guard as I was actually pretty decent (just too small at 6' - 225 lbs ..... and academically stupid) but the few times I played Tackle my head was spinning and I could never get comfortable with my footwork and responsibilities.  It was amazing how different I felt & performed between those 2 positions.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:18 AM, mcgufcm said:

And you saw Justin Fuente state publicly that any player putting his name in the portal is not welcome back at VT. All of them will lose their scholarship, but not all of them will find a new home. Certainly not a new home at that level, which is what they’re trying to do by entering the portal. 

It might sound good, but this could, and probably should, burn you with future transfer recruits

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Do we have a guard who grades in the top 10 in the country as a run blocker?

Doesn't matter. We have 1 spot left & bigger needs at OT & P.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Apparently we just got a potential OT from Akron, Brandon Council.

@JFDTiger80 Yes. He has a thread. Look one thread down. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Any interest for Isaiah Walker from Florida?  He seems wishy washy but we need the bodies.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Any interest for Isaiah Walker from Florida?

@Win4AU No word but even if there was/is interest I'm pretty sure we have used all our schollies available for 2020 barring a signee not enrolling.

Tualia is in the portal

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Tualia is in the portal

Figured that was coming. The package deal worked for Bama to get Tua and that was all they wanted. 

28 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Figured that was coming. The package deal worked for Bama to get Tua and that was all they wanted. 

Yup figured his 5’11” height all but guaranteed he wasn’t going to start for them. Remember the OL they wanted so they took his older brother and when lil bro wanted to come here they threatened to pull the older brothers scholly?

20 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Remember the OL they wanted so they took his older brother and when lil bro wanted to come here they threatened to pull the older brothers scholly?

Names?

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Names?

I believe the Kouandjio brothers is who that was.

Archived