Question regarding Whitlow

Tigerpro2a

I know we all bicker back and forth about who should stay another year and who shouldn't ....and we always know better than the athlete and their family. With that said....I am curious if any of you see any chance of Boobee coming out early this year?

I personally do not believe he would be drafted, but i think he could possibly make a roster. I just don't know if his stock would go up any next year. I feel like carries may be at a premium next year with all the guys we have. I was listening to "locked on Auburn" yesterday and brought up some good points so I thought I would ask the board. I could see a benefit for him if he did leave or maybe even transfer. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/key-players-return-for-auburn-whitlow-next/id1091363992?i=1000461815936

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I know we all bicker back and forth about who should stay another year and who shouldn't ....and we always know better than the athlete and their family. With that said....I am curious if any of you see any chance of Boobee coming out early this year?

I personally do not believe he would be drafted, but i think he could possibly make a roster. I just don't know if his stock would go up any next year. I feel like carries may be at a premium next year with all the guys we have. I was listening to "locked on Auburn" yesterday and brought up some good points so I thought I would ask the board. I could see a benefit for him if he did leave or maybe even transfer. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/key-players-return-for-auburn-whitlow-next/id1091363992?i=1000461815936

I could definitely see him leave if his family needs financial support like Barber.

Call me a pessimist, but...  I have 0% confidence that we go into next year with the same RBs on the roster + Tank coming in as TF.  I just don't see anyway that we continue to have 6-7 RBs that are fighting for carries.  Someone is going to want more love. 

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Call me a pessimist, but...  I have 0% confidence that we go into next year with the same RBs on the roster + Tank coming in as TF.  I just don't see anyway that we continue to have 6-7 RBs that are fighting for carries.  Someone is going to want more love. 

That's not being a pessimist, it's being a realist. 

Whitlow is the best YAC back we have. As a matter of fact that is his most significant asset. It also means he takes a beating for most of the yards he gains.

I think he should definitely consider declaring early, because the physical abuse he takes is likely to produce a very short pro career and if he stays another

year in college he is going to take more pounding before he can even get paid to do it as a professional.

I want them all to stay but if we had to IMO Boobie's play can be replaced with DJ. And less fumbles.

Swear the kid must have naked pics of Gus for him to ditch his "if ya fumble once, your career is over" mantra. It's bizarre how much Gus keeps rewarding him with carries despite Gus' pet peeve of not holding on to the ball. Serious question, have we ever had a RB with as many fumbles in a 2 year period as Boobie?

Somebody is gonna take this as bashing the kid but I'm not. He's been a stud for us in some crucial moments.

1 minute ago, CodeRocket said:

Whitlow is the best YAC back we have. As a matter of fact that is his most significant asset. It also means he takes a beating for most of the yards he gains.

I think he should definitely consider declaring early, because the physical abuse he takes is likely to produce a very short pro career and if he stays another

year in college he is going to take more pounding before he can even get paid to do it as a professional.

I don't know the stats but to me it feels like DJ moves the pile better than Boobie

Whitlow is slow and injury prone. Hard to see him being drafted. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I want them all to stay but IMO if we had to IMO Boobie's play can be replaced with DJ. And less fumbles.

Swear the kid must have naked pics of Gus for him to ditch his "if ya fumble once, your career is over" mantra. It's bizarre how much Gus keeps rewarding him with carries despite Gus' pet peeve of not holding on to the ball. Serious question, have we ever had a RB with as many fumbles in a 2 year period as Boobie?

Somebody is gonna take this as bashing the kid but I'm not. He's been a stud for us in some crucial moments.

I agree .....I think with another year of S/C and coaching....DJ will surpass Boobee. I thought at times DJ looked better this year.

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

Whitlow is slow and injury prone. Hard to see him being drafted. 

Do not expect him to get drafted....But could definitely see him leave and take a shot to help his financial situation and make life changing money by making a squad.

He was a QB in high school, so it's possible that he's still learning the position and another year would help him hone his skills.

And maybe if he cleans up the fumbles, that helps his stock. I dunno.

Might depend on what other running backs are coming out this year vs who projects to come out next year. Probably not, though, since it's not like he's looking at 1st round vs 4th round. 

I dunno. Certainly no slam dunk for him either way. 

EXCEPT for the fumbles, I think he's a solid back and did well running behind our o-line. I don't see him having much success in the NFL at this point, but that's a pretty darn uninformed opinion. That said, as our line improves, I think we're going to see some other backs shine in ways that they haven't up to this point, especially those who possess breakaway speed. I really think Whitlow would be viewed entirely differently if he possessed better speed. But, he doesn't. And that's just the way it is. 

Anyone else excited to see MAR healthy?

I could definitely see Boobee leaving next year if he has a good year.  It’d really be best case for the team.  He reminds me of Barber.  Barber wasn’t the most talented back we had in 2015 but he had the most heart.  He’s surprisingly having one of the better Auburn RB careers in the NFL as of late.  Someone mentioned it earlier but Boobee’s YAC is what makes him back #1.  DJ had a couple nice runs against LSU but was contained for the most part against everyone else.  Blame that on youth, Oline, play calling, whatever but until another back on the roster shows tackle breaking ability I’m a Boobee man.

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He was a QB in high school, so it's possible that he's still learning the position and another year would help him hone his skills.

And maybe if he cleans up the fumbles, that helps his stock. I dunno.

Might depend on what other running backs are coming out this year vs who projects to come out next year. Probably not, though, since it's not like he's looking at 1st round vs 4th round. 

I dunno. Certainly no slam dunk for him either way. 

I think whatever jump we were going to see from Boobee would have been between 2018 and 2019. His greatest deficiency, IMO, other than fumbles is his lack of speed and that's just not going to change. I really like Boobee - I think he finds running space more than he misses it and he possesses good physicality, but he can be sluggish and isn't ever going to hit a home run. Anyway, other than shoring up his fumble issues, I think we're likely to see more of the same out of him next year. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Question regarding Whitlow
16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

EXCEPT for the fumbles, I think he's a solid back and did well running behind our o-line.

That's like saying that girl is hot except for the hunchback and pegleg...

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

bahaha

It's a big deal, no doubt. I think Boobee gets fairly criticized for it - at least here, but apparently not from our HC. 

If he was lucky he'd make a practice squad coming out this year.  Boobie has a lot of work to do before an NFL team is going to draft him.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As long as I don’t get a splinter if you know what I’m saying.  Wink wink, elbow poke etc

As @Win4AU said, the numbers were sort of similar between DJ and Boobee. However DJs average was helped IMMENSELY by 2 runs vs LSU. Without those 2 runs, the averages arent even close. Boobee was hands down the best RB on the squad this season... and I'm a big DJ fan. 

DJ seemed to run right into the DL most of his runs this season. DJ may be the better back eventually, but this season it wasnt even close.

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As @Win4AU said, the numbers were sort of similar between DJ and Boobee. However DJs average was helped IMMENSELY by 2 runs vs LSU. Without those 2 runs, the averages arent even close. Boobee was hands down the best RB on the squad this season... and I'm a big DJ fan. 

DJ seemed to run right into the DL most of his runs this season. DJ may be the better back eventually, but this season it wasnt even close.

I agree...who got the ball in crunch time despite his fumbling problems?  The guy who can make something out of nothing with our poor run-blocking line.  DJ has a higher upside, but wasn't a good fit this year.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I agree...who got the ball in crunch time despite his fumbling problems?  The guy who can make something out of nothing with our poor run-blocking line.  DJ has a higher upside, but wasn't a good fit this year.

Yeah all season I kept telling my son to watch out for DJ, that he was coming to take Boobees starting spot. Then we proceeded to watch DJ struggle. My son was like yeah sure dad DJ is better lol... 

Like I said I am a huge DJ fan and think eventually he will be a better all around back than Boobee but he sure wasn't this season

2 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Jonathon Taylor has over 800 carries in three years. Guys like Chubb, Barkley, and McCaffrey had well over 600. All of them were or will be very high Draft picks. In two shortened seasons, it’s hard to imagine that Boobie’s body is at risk due to overuse. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am not going by the numbers of those runs...Of course our pathetic OL and playcalling had nothing to do with that. 

Archived