Your 1st Auburn game away from home

Swamp Eagle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1972 Gator Bowl.  The Amazin's played Colorado.  Don't remember much about the game.  I think we won 24-3,  and the Amazin's were amazing.  Before the game when they brought Ralphie the buffalo out, they had 4 or 5 guys trying to control him.  They were running out on the field when one of the handlers in the front lost his balance and tripped the guy behind him and that buffalo drug those guys all around the field.  LMAO.

13 hours ago, saminbama said:

1972 Gator Bowl.  The Amazin's played Colorado.  Don't remember much about the game.  I think we won 24-3,  and the Amazin's were amazing.  Before the game when they brought Ralphie the buffalo out, they had 4 or 5 guys trying to control him.  They were running out on the field when one of the handlers in the front lost his balance and tripped the guy behind him and that buffalo drug those guys all around the field.  LMAO.

I was there also and remember thinking that buffaloes were docile animals.  I visited Wyoming last year and Yellow Stone in particular and found out not to mess with them.  I also asked the locals why the name change to bison?  The Jackson Hole residents said it was always bison.  Then I asked; then why wasn’t Bill Cody known as Bison Bill?  No response.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, AU64 said:

1959  Auburn at Tennessee.....spent the night in the Knoxville YMCA before the game....painful loss in a defensive struggle.....lost 3-0.   

The Georgia game that year which we also lost.  Spent the night sleeping in the back seat of a car parked on Frat row before the game...☹️

1957 Tennesse game at Shields/Watkins Field If you wanted any booze you had to go see the local bootlegger. Stayed with a high school buddy that was going to school there. We won 7-0. Stadium name was changed to Neyland stadium in 1962 but the playing field kept the Shields/Watkins name.

2009 at TN. Ben Tate trucks Eric Berry. Before the game I think they played his rap song like 3 times. We partied really hard after the game. 

2001 at UGA.  Mark Richt decided to run the ball down 7 with no time outs.  We stuffed it, laid on the pile, and won.  Happened right in front of me.

I then proceeded to snatch a piece of the hedges and take a picture of the UGA statue in front of the burial grounds with my Auburn hat on the dog statue.  Good times.

The 1990 Peach Bowl in Atlanta Fulton County stadium vs Indiana was my first Auburn game away from home. Have been to MS. State in 1992, Legion Field 1992 and 1998 (last Iron Bowl in Birmingham),FSU, Tuscaloosa 2004, and MS State 2018.

Also, have been to Georgia Dome several times for SEC Championships and the Clemson kick off game. Made it to Nashville last year for the Music City Bowl against Purdue.

23 hours ago, saminbama said:

Won that game with a backup QB Wade Whatley. SMH that we can't win a bowl game now with our starting QB. Anyway, Whatley was the MVP of the game. Gator Bowl has been good to Auburn. 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:18 PM, AUsince72 said:

As I mentioned in the previous thread, the first game I remember (I was 4 yrs old) was in B'ham against Tenn in 1976. 

The first true away game was local for me, as I grew up near Atlanta....pretty much any time the Tigers visited Ga Tech we were there.

my first away game was tennesse at legion field. it was  a year or two after that as i did not leave the military until 77. i will never forget tennessee running onto the field and the sky seemed to turn orange as auburn fans pelted the tennessee boys with oranges as they ran out onto the field. also we beat the hell out of them. after the game fans were running around hollering go to hell bear baxley go to hell. we stopped at a strip club and i believe it was at a strip mall. i know it was not sammy's. we drank a couple or high priced beers and went home to gadsden after that. and of course the fact tennessee refused to play auburn at home went right over my head.

10 hours ago, kingfish said:

1956 Legion Field versus Tennessee. Johnny Majors ran all over us. Lost 35-7.

wow kingfish i was just one year old then...........

I definitely remember going to Vandy Sophomore year in ‘93, had a heck of a time as a 20 yr old in Nashvegas for sure. Can’t recall if that was my first actual road game or not though. I can say that later that season I watched the IB (a home game) from the confines of Bryant Denny on screens they set up in the end zone. Anyone around then will recall the tv blackout that season. I hated missing the game at JHS then but all these years later it’s made for a great story and memory. I was mostly assuredly in the minority that day. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, Swamp Eagle said:

1983 Legion Field vs Alabama (as home team).

Since then, 2006 Bryant-Denny stadium, 2013 Neyland Stadium in Knoxville and 2017 Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge ...that's it.

Sept. 20, 1997

Auburn at LSU. 

Top 10/Top 12 matchup. Top 10 game. LSU enjoyed playing an Auburn team at home, with absolutely no run game and all but no defense...

I'm pretty sure Cecil Collins is still gaining yards on our defense. Somehow we won the game on the arm of D. Craig.

That was a lifetime ago. Oddly enough we have only won one single time since then... that's absolutely insane. 

On 1/11/2020 at 6:37 PM, Brad_ATX said:

2001 at UGA.  Mark Richt decided to run the ball down 7 with no time outs.  We stuffed it, laid on the pile, and won.  Happened right in front of me.

I then proceeded to snatch a piece of the hedges and take a picture of the UGA statue in front of the burial grounds with my Auburn hat on the dog statue.  Good times.

#lordswork

On 1/12/2020 at 1:03 AM, kingfish said:

1956 Legion Field versus Tennessee. Johnny Majors ran all over us. Lost 35-7.

Last vestiges of the old Single Wing.....and Majors could run that offense.  

1996 @ MSU and then again the next week @ UF during their NC run. 

1977 (I think) Sanford Stadium when I was at Auburn. 2 friends & I didn't decide for sure to go until about 6 am that Saturday morning. We took off towards Atlanta, had to stop at a gas station to ask how to get to Athens. Had to park, as 1 of my friends, said, "on the other side of Egypt" once we got to Athens. Our seats were in the bleachers in the end zone (yes, there were bleachers there then), & so low that when we were down there to score once we could hear Charlie Trotman calling the snap count! We had to ask someone how to get down there. We got to our seats & literally had just sat down when the PA guy told us to rise for the national anthem. We just laughed, & about then I said, "What are we doing? We're probably going to get killed!" And we beat their eyes out! Turned into 1 of the best days ever!

Archived